Xbox Game Studios |OT4| This is for Studio talk. Studios. It's the Studios OT. Studio talk here (Part 1)

2 years for concept/brainstorming and 4 years for development seems sufficient to me🤔

I wonder which games will get a gameplay demo at “E3” from last years showcase.

Avowed, Fable and State of Decay 3 seem a ways out. I think we’re probably going to see gameplay from Halo Infinite (duh), Psychonauts 2 (also duh), Hellblade 2, Starfield, Compulsion’s new game and maybe Forza. I tend to think they’ve shown so much Everwild that unless it’s close, it may take some time away from the spotlight. However, the last news we got was that the game mechanics are still coming together, so it seems like we’ll be waiting at least another year for gameplay.

I’m really curious to see how Bethesda and Xbox share Zenimax game news. Bethesda will obviously talk about Deathloop (which should be out by then) and Ghostwire Tokyo but can’t acknowledge that they’ll eventually come to Xbox. I’d guess that they may tease something like Wolfenstein 3 (as well as Starfield) with a full gameplay trailer during the Xbox showcase, or something like that.

If there will be other first-party games with gameplay shown, I imagine that they’ll be surprise announcements at this point. I could absolutely see a couple of big second-party announcements. Hopefully one will be Banjo-related!

As far as Zenimax, maybe they’d do something where one show announces the game with a short teaser clip with a full reveal on the other show. Me assuming the Bethesda show will continue to go before the Xbox show.

1 Like

I like that idea best. Considering they have games coming exclusively to a non-Xbox platform, it’ll be fun to see Bethesda try to avoid the awkwardness of discussing those titles and segueing into talking about their new place within the Xbox family. Haha

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

From now on I post this whenever this statement occurs

2 Likes

excellent thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Everwild has mostlikely a coop focus nothing in the trailer hints at p v p

FYI: Yakuza 7 was developed as a beat’m up game. The game changed to JRPG within 3 months before the reveal.

Other games get updated after the release with new gameplay elements.

Rare ltd is doing the work as any developer with Everwild.

No need to exaggerate about normal things.

5 Likes

Sea of Thieves launched as barebone game (argument)

I followed Rare since day one on his journey with SOT, still remember the 1st dairy devs did with the Legendary designer Gregg Mayles … SOT wasn’t meant to play like open worlds or any other game, the team was very open about the concept during the development cycle till the release, they even did number of videos on what to expect from the game content during the launch window.

One golden rule about SOT MASSIVE! success is to use Players feedback & translated in the game so how “barebone game” argument did it way? It really puzzling me /:

I think the massive success of Sea of Thieves is due to the uniqueness of the game. While there are many p v p v e games on the market nothing is like SOT.

Unlike other games SOT does not have a upgrade system it is a base lvl grounded game. Which means the game is very accessible even for people who only play occasionally and don’t have time to grind endlessly.

Game has THE best and most player friendly sailing system in any game, the game is gorgeous, the game has many sandbox elements to play with. Every action feels physical like caring a chest or eating food, cooking, bailing, repair etc…

Sea of Thieves is also on of the most social experience within gaming. No lobby , no score streak, no kda, just you, your crew and other players looking to gather your precious loot.

Despite not having a skill tree or something like that. SOT has a very deep customisation system (I deeply want this in more games F to one body skins) and it is fun to experiment with it on top you have many task along your journey to achieve.

Personally I don’t think Sea of Thieves was not successful due to the bare bone launch more because the foundation of the game already was soo unique that it was inevitable to becoming a success once the content was there.

Everwild should not launch bare bones because the focus of this game is far different.

3 Likes

More than three years sounds promising if it’s planned for next year. But not to diss Rare here, for how long was Sea of Thieves in development? I recall that it was at least four years, yet it was very barebones at launch. I wish I’d have all the faith in the world in them as I have for Playground Games for example, but I can’t. And hasn’t Rare been known since the N64 days for taking many years for games and also delays, a bit similar to how Remedy used to be?

But obviously I hope they knock it out of the park. The two trailers so far are beautiful in many ways. I say give them the time they need to deliver a full, decent enough length game at launch.

Definitely SOT is unique experience!

As for Everwild, even with “nearly confirmed” by Matt Booty it’ll be shared world game but don’t think it’ll be SOT clone, the gameplay loop will be completely different. Last year Gregg Mayles confirmed that they always going back to open the box for some of their old ideas and try to bring them back in future projects, and if we went back in Rare past, the closest project to Everwild is Sabreman Safari: Call of Nature which canceled in 2002~

There was a unique gameplay mechanics they couldn’t apply it because of the technology barrier back on the time per “Ken Lobb”. If the technology was the reason for cancellation, that’s means the project wasn’t awful and its idea should be in shelve waiting for the right time to use them again and think this is the time. ( Don’t know if Louise was part of Sabreman team, that will make the Expectations easy )

Personally, I think Everwild will use State of Decay concept in someway & mix of Sabreman Safari ideas & of course some new ideas. Hope it contains a campaign experience and centering on 1 to 4 players like Gears/ Halo, not 4 to 1 players like SOT.

1 Like

Hope, I will be able to play the game in a single player. Not a fan of anything multiplayer at all.

1 Like

Looking back in time I think Fable was my first WRPG. I played it on a shitty pc :smiley:

Even have the copy still around.

Though I find MP has its place (specifically PvE is my preference) I much prefer a game to be either playable solo or for its MP to be a little more “discrete”. such as Monster Hunter World or division or Death Stranding.

1 Like

The amount that was in at launch was not appropriate for full price / a full game. I’m a huge SoT apologist so believe me when I say that they should’ve just had a long beta window instead of ‘launch’.

This would’ve saved the messaging, though it would still have been reviewed as a full release game and scored poorly.

That model of game development is fine but the messaging needs to be clearer and they need to understand the game is going to critically bomb if they do it.

1 Like

Why actually Sea of Thieves launched in that state in particular? Were they were rushing to the market?

My guesses:

Halo

Hellblade 2

Psychonauts 2 (if not out)

Everwild (I personally think the playing around comment is normal. Mechanics are added/removed last minute all the time. I think if they have the core fundamentals they show)

Avowed

And at the Zenimax show:

Ghostwire

Starfield

Wolfenstein 3.

2 Likes