Xbox Game Studios |OT4| This is for Studio talk. Studios. It's the Studios OT. Studio talk here (Part 1)

LOL.

Yeah, turned out kinda funny.

1 Like

ZhugeX/ Daniel Ahmed

There is. Zenimax owns IP, Activision publishing rights. But this wouldn’t be a new game in the series, it’d be a spiritual successor like Outer Worlds was to New Vegas or Bloodstained to Castlevania.

2 Likes

Okay. Thankfully, I don’t follow or pay attention to him but E3 weekend, I will stay off Twitter for the most part. Thanks.

I would be all about it. I was a huge Heretic/Hexen fan back in the day. Still have my CD-ROM copies in the closet.

Hello everyone first time poster long time lurker. The latest development on unreal engine 5 really solidify my opinion that MS studios should start moving away from unreal, and start using internal engines or build proprietary engines. I’m not tech savvy so I don’t know how feasible that is, but I personally think some of these games are so far out because of the state unreal 5 is at the moment.

5 Likes

And those studios have more then 1 team now which helps

1 Like

Yea they already have a few like ID Tech Slipspace engine Forza tech I’m probably missing more than that

This transition phase is really rough, came at a bad time as well…

It’ll be sorted out.

Also. Crackdown-3_Intro_Gif

7 Likes

Let teams use whatever engine they feel is best for the games. We already saw what happened with EA and Frostbite.

8 Likes

Welcome, Justin. :slightly_smiling_face:

It should be possible for them to move away from Unreal towards idtech but that requires time and is a slow process. Besides Unreal has created the most compelling engine+middleware featurewise.

3 Likes

And they’ve also swallowed up a lot of the Middleware market through acquisitions.

1 Like

Building your own tech stack will take even longer than a transition to a new version of Unreal.

3 Likes

Definitely, but I feel like it’s worth the investment and will pay off in the future. The transition to unreal 4 to 5 is breaking the customization devs made to unreal 4.

1 Like

Unless we work in video game engineering why are we talking about engines that run our games? Cryengine was used on Sonic Boom.

I keep missing chat I’m interested in. Damnit.

Anyway I’m hours late but I loved TOW and very excited for a sequel if that’s what Obsidian want to do.

Sorry I was the one who started the engine talk, it was only in relation to MS games seemingly long dev times.

Turns out that changing engines would be even more of a headache if you think about it.

3 Likes

Making a custom general purpose engine with solid support and documentation for outside use is a monumentous task and will take way longer than getting Unreal 5 production ready. Unreal also has the big upside of beeing an industry standard so recruiting is rather easy.

Just let the teams decide whats best for them.

Also, welcome to the forum!

4 Likes

MrMattyPlays just confirmed that when he mentioned one of the Xbox Studios is working on a popular Lucasfilm property he was told it was one of two studios.

The Coalition is one of them, so if the information he was given is true, we could potentially hear more on who is actually working on this project soon.

9 Likes