Xbox Game Studios |OT3| Once more....with feeling (Part 1)

1 Like

He is absolutely full of shit.

ā€œI know MIcrosoft has already bought two new developers, one of them Japaneseā€ He said that right before TGA. Then Bethesda deal gets announced and he was ā€œdid you like the surprise?ā€ Like he knew.

Donā€™t listen to him.

4 Likes

He later said he didnā€™t know what the developers were, when previously he said he knew who. At first, I thought he was legit when he said back in August that negociations were picking up for MS, and a big surprise will be coming. But he is full of contradictions.

2 Likes

Crazy prediction: Turn 10 is doing a Kotor remake. Schreier says one is coming, is not from EA, and no one will expect the dev.

Or, as I put it on Resetera:

First of all, itā€™s supposedly not EA which means we wonā€™t see the game until 2024 at a minimum. Now, Turn 10 is finishing up the new Forza Motorsport which will be a live platform on which to build, and has been assisting not just 343 on Halo Infinite but more importantly PlayGround Games on Fable, especially on the tech end. Turn 10 employees are serving a larger part in Fable than expected, and the studio stocked up on narrative talent on what was assumed to be Forza. Fable is seemingly running on a heavily modified Forzatech.

So, you have a team that no longer has to rush out sequels, has worked to modify their racing engine into an action RPG one, that has the talent and has a game that has aged like a fine wine to pull from. They donā€™t need to worry about story pacing, quest design, world design, etc. as many fans would be more than happy with an expanded remake that keeps the fundamental design and just populates it more. They have friends at PlayGround and they can reuse Fableā€™s combat and animations for Kotor, they got the guys who made Kotor 2 on speed dial, they have InXile and Bethesda to lend a helping hand as needed as well as Undead Labs and 343i a stoneā€™s throw from the office, and they can hire as needed.

Lock it in here until deconfirmed otherwise: Kotor remake by Turn 10.

7 Likes

Donā€™t know if anyone else noticed but looks like Playground has as many open positions as all the other Xbox studios combined.

RPG WAR

12 Likes

Lol

1 Like

23 Likes

This had me interested so I did some work :stuck_out_tongue:

Disclaimer, staff numbers and jobs available are most likely not 100% correct at any given time so take with a little salt as teams could have more or fewer jobs available and the same goes for the amount of staff. These numbers are pulled directly from Linkedin which not everyone uses so the staff numbers could be higher. Also not all jobs are for game dev as there are some from Zenimax which are tax related. Pulled 11/01/21.

Playground games:

Jobs: 128 | Staff: 281

Rare

Jobs: 9 | Staff: 251

Ninja Theory

Jobs: 26 | Staff: 103

343 Industries

Jobs: 0 | Staff: 590

The Initiative

Jobs: 8 | Staff: 70

Obsidian Entertainment

Jobs: 18 | Staff: 227

inXile entertainment

Jobs: 0 | Staff: 102

Bethesda Softworks

Jobs: 3 | Staff: 1,005

Arkane Studios

Jobs: 0 | Staff: 250

id Software

Jobs: 1 | Staff: 273

ZeniMax Media

Jobs: 175 | Staff: 291

Tango Gameworks

Jobs: 0 | Staff: 9 (lol much more than this)

The Coalition Studio

Jobs: 0 | Staff: 166

Compulsion Games

Jobs: 0 | Staff: 63

Turn 10

Jobs: 7 | Staff: 155

Undead Labs

Jobs: 1 | Staff: 98

Double Fine Productions

Jobs: 0 | Staff: 77

MachineGames

Jobs: 3 | Staff: 125

ZeniMax Online Studios

Jobs: 10 | Staff: 395

5 Likes

Huh so that 750 for 343i is inaccurate?

Before 2018:

2018 up to today:

10 Likes

I donā€™t like those 5 empty spaces on the bottom so letā€™s fill them up -

1. Techland
  2. Asobo
  3. Crystal Dynamics
  4. Eidos Montreal
  5. The Astronauts

There we go. Fixed. Hehehe.

3 Likes

Yea especially techland they are in trouble i think the rumor from may was legit about trouble in paradise over there not to mention no info for a whole year

1 Like

Not everyone is on Linkedin so the number might be higher, but where did the 750 number come from? seems a bit high.

Definitely hoping that Microsoft acquires Techland (if they havenā€™t already) because im really looking forward to Dying Light 2 as I really enjoyed the first game a lot. Plus, theyā€™re a damn good development studio.

1 Like

The last year has shown the exact opposite. With MS showing off the console and Hellblade at the VGAs as well as the Perfect Dark announcement. Announcing the Zenimax purchase the day before pre orders went live etc.

Wasnā€™t there rumours they were going to get a Polish company, I think it has to be Techland. COVID probably sped it all up too if they were already in trouble. It makes sense and it would bit another big studio.

420~ staff (heh) and 32 job openings, Phil has said he wants studios all over the world and I donā€™t think they have a studio in Poland so thereā€™s that.

Yeah, there were rumors. I have always believed that they would be the most realistic studio to get from Poland and I donā€™t want to see Dying Light 2 get cancelled or turn out to be a disaster at launch.

2 Likes

I still want Dead Island 2! I loved the first one.

Agreed I hate to see game devs close