Xbox Game Studios |OT3| Once more....with feeling (Part 1)

I wouldn’t take that too literally. I don’t think you get that far into development without an understanding of the core gameplay loop.

They might have been referring to more emergent style stuff.

1 Like

Υeah I agree, it might be a better idea to launch an early access build like Grounded and release the game when they are confident that the content is enough to warrantee a full release.

They’ve put a lot of time into the gameplay loop. It was one of the criticisms people had on the alpha/insider program. At some point Rare wasn’t adding anything but only changing things that were already in the game.

Which, in the end was the right decision cuz they can now build on that foundation. Just wish they had taken the same approach with the person to person combat, as that’s still really bad.

2 Likes

That’s probably a lot better yeah. Let the players give feedback and everything, but not have a full launch just yet. I guess with some of these online games a early access is always better.

Exactly one of my complaints too. They can put tons of missions in there where you sail to island to fight skellies, but it’s still missions where the hand to hand combat with swords is indeed far from great, just doesn’t feel satisfying. Not like how it feels great in something like Dishonored and other first person games where the combat feels really good and fun.

2 Likes

it is still to me one of the most innovative game this generation. Yes I am a fanboy for it, and no I don’t care :grinning:

2 Likes

Yep, this exactly. Not many know that actual quote. The game is in development for over 3 years, of course the team knows what Everwild is going to be, and of course they better still be playing around with gameplay ideas in the middle of development …

6 Likes

Hey Klobrille I’m curious, whats your take on the rumours of the KOTOR game in development, and that there might be an xbox exclusive high republic game being shopped around (from a rumour on the latest xboxera podcast).

Who do you think would be a good fit for a high republic game? accounting for what the studios have announced they are working on already?

If its from xbox first party, and assuming its an RPG I think Inxile would be the best fit. If its a more linear game I think ninja theory.

What do you think?

That was a bit by design though. They had a lot in a semi ready state to iterate quickly. It was one of the reasons they were able to have a continuous flow of content from the get go.

Doesn’t seem it will be the same cycle for Everwild, though. For SoT they had taken player feedback way earlier in time.

I was wondering about this. Windows Central said/speculated that Everwild is multiplayer, survival. But unless I’m mistaken, I think you implied it was more like a co-op action/adventure. Is it still that?

Co-op is multiplayer. I don’t think Everwild will have that aspect of a constant PvP world like Sea of Thieves. Both Everwild trailers focused on Eternals working together.

3 Likes

Nah, I meant the survival bit. Survival like Ark, Grounded etc. :slight_smile:

But if it’s not like SoT with the PvP, my interest level goes up again.

1 Like

Ladette, and I was.

1 Like

This is what I felt too watching what I have seen. I hope its the case as well. SoT is amazing fun with a crew, but I just love working and playing together with people rather than against.

[edit] oops double posting, sorry brain fried. :stuck_out_tongue:

ZhugeEx saying that microsoft is acquiring IPs and konami announces the closing of 3 studios… humm… :new_moon_with_face:

https://www.konami.com/games/corporate/en/news/release/20210115/

maybe that doesnt mean anything, but after bethesda… anything can happen. :wink:

1 Like

Konami isn’t closing studio’s. It’s reshuffling their production divisions. Jobs could get lost, but I wouldn’t say Konami is selling IP.

5 Likes

True. However, Rare will hopefully have realized that they should never again release a game in the state that Sea of Thieves released in. Only by 2019/20 did it become the game that is should have been at launch. They need to launch Everwild in a state comparable to how SOT is TODAY…Otherwise they’ll just get kicked about in reviews again and spent the next few years clawing back respectability.

1 Like

Im sure they have learned from that, and especially now xbox is back on its feet compared to where they were when sea of theives was released Im sure they can outsource some more manpower intensive work to bulk out the release window.

Today, Sea of Thieves represents the work of almost 7 years of development. I don’t think it’s fair to expect any game to launch in such an advanced state, to be honest.

I do agree though that it shouldn’t launch in the state SoT launched and should have more content ready on day one. I think there is a middle ground they need to find here.

5 Likes

Thank you for all the inside talk! Cant wait for Everwild :)))

2 Likes

True. Hopefully the Zenimax acquisition takes away that kind of pressure

2 Likes