Xbox Game Studios |OT3| Once more....with feeling (Part 1)

:chief_think:

1 Like

I am expecting the worst (aka Jimbo’s moneyhats return) from all the Epic published games but hopefully they will come out simultaneously on all platforms. And the worst thing is that all 3 studios (Playdead, Remedy and genDESIGN) are among the best in the industry right now.

Strange that MS didn’t sign a deal with one of the three for a XBGP title…it always seemed that they had a good relationship with Playdead in particular, I guess MS wouldn’t let the studio keep the IP.

I guess this and because Epic can assure a multiplat release.

Yeah, it makes sense. Though to be honest Xbox is a much better publisher than Playstation if they cared for a multiplatform release because a PC version is a sure thing for everything that Xbox publishes when the same thing can’t be said for Sony.

Of course there is also the whole UE4 support/deal thing that they get from Epic as well so it is probably a mix of all of the above.

I can’t wait to see those games, all 3 studios are really talented and I loved their previous projects. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The Epic and Private Division deals are great in my opinion. They let studios keep their creative independence and IP, while giving the funding for larger projects.

Not every game has to be made by Xbox Game Studios. :wink:

It’s also good for the landscape of the game industry when smaller studios like Playdead and Moon Studios (via Epic or Private Division) get the chance to get closer to Triple A games. It’s that kind of growth the industry needs.

And then when the studio’s have found their own culture, their own stable of IP… a big publisher comes and picks them up. :joy:

4 Likes

Everwild has been somewhat in development since June 2017. That would mean 4 1/2 years of development by the end of 2021. Sea of Thieves had a little less than 4 years. Now, I’m not saying it’ll release this year, but I don’t think it’s completely unlikely. Because of the pandemic I’d still say 2022 though.

What I am sure of for this year is Everwild gameplay etc. though – and well, maybe there even will be early flights/tests like for Sea of Thieves.

17 Likes

Who of you lovely lads have been in the alpha of Sea of Thieves?

I was :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The only thing is didnt the Devs last year say they dont even know how the game will play yet?

I was a late believer and joined the beta.

1 Like

For sure but a game published by XGP is always better than a money-hatted multiplatform release IMO.

As Nick always says most Playstation fans have a beefy PC so they can always play the games that Xbox publishes even if they don’t have an Xbox, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

About Everwild it might be in development for some time now but wasn’t last year when the director said that they are still experimenting with the gameplay/mechanics of the game? this made it sound like the game is still far from completion.

edit: I still haven’t played SoT. :3

1 Like

True but I imagine the world etc. is done.

AHHH I will fall in love with this game I can tell!

Thats true I just hope we get more news about it this year

‘‘Part of the reason we haven’t talked a lot about Everwild is because we’re still feeling a lot of these things out. We’re still playing around with gameplay ideas. We’ll have plenty to say in the future on that, but … we have an idea we feel really passionate about, and we think there’s something special. I have a team of people that wake up every morning with the desire to make this game that they’re really, really passionate about.’’ - Craig Duncan Xbox Series X and Xbox Game Studios’ plan for the next generation - Polygon

I didn’t read that like they have no clue what Everwild is going to be. They are playing around with some ideas and how to implement them in the best way possible. I’m sure the story, the worldbuilding and general gameplay stuff are being developed. I expect this game to not have any combat, so they’re probably trying to figure out how to make that as engaging as possible.

8 Likes

Sea of Thieves was in development for a little less than 4 years? Jesus. Sorry, but then I’m just shocked how barebones it launched. I just don’t get that. That being said, let’s hope Everwild isn’t awaiting that fate, so to speak. With Sea of Thieves it turned out well in the end, when more and more content came, but it’s honestly much better to just launch a complete and full package in my opinion.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t take that too literally. I don’t think you get that far into development without an understanding of the core gameplay loop.

They might have been referring to more emergent style stuff.

1 Like

Υeah I agree, it might be a better idea to launch an early access build like Grounded and release the game when they are confident that the content is enough to warrantee a full release.

They’ve put a lot of time into the gameplay loop. It was one of the criticisms people had on the alpha/insider program. At some point Rare wasn’t adding anything but only changing things that were already in the game.

Which, in the end was the right decision cuz they can now build on that foundation. Just wish they had taken the same approach with the person to person combat, as that’s still really bad.

2 Likes

That’s probably a lot better yeah. Let the players give feedback and everything, but not have a full launch just yet. I guess with some of these online games a early access is always better.

Exactly one of my complaints too. They can put tons of missions in there where you sail to island to fight skellies, but it’s still missions where the hand to hand combat with swords is indeed far from great, just doesn’t feel satisfying. Not like how it feels great in something like Dishonored and other first person games where the combat feels really good and fun.

2 Likes

it is still to me one of the most innovative game this generation. Yes I am a fanboy for it, and no I don’t care :grinning:

2 Likes