Xbox Game Studios |OT10| Here are the games

Jez is incredibly salty about that lol.

3 Likes

Nah

2 Likes

working support hopefully most of the rare team is moved on to everwild so that we can actually see that one

7 Likes

Was watching a video by Colt, he covered Starfield and what Todd has said about it. How they are working with the top engineers at Xbox to really make the XSX sing. He seems to speculate that Todd might mean Starfield is making full use of RDNA2.

Who knows, it would be pretty damn sweet if this is the first current gen game to truly take full advantage of it. Perhaps have it be 1080p but looking like 4K and framerate up to 60fps.

I’d love this.

3 Likes

Give me 40 fps mode… I will be fine

Then Rest can argue as much as they want

7 Likes
7 Likes

It’s not that simple because CPU may be the limitation.

CPU-boundedness

The opposite happens in the CPU-bound case. When a game is CPU-bound, this means that the GPU is able to make quick work of the instructions it is given, which means there are times during which the GPU is idle. Now the frame rate is being limited by how fast the CPU is able to generate instructions for the GPU.

In this case, we would say that the game is CPU-bound, because the frame rate is being “bottlenecked” by the CPU.

Variables

Whether your computer is CPU-bound or GPU-bound depends on a lot of variables:

• Hardware: Someone with a high-end GPU but a CPU from a few generations back will become CPU-bound more often than someone with the exact same high-end GPU and current-gen CPU, even if they’re both playing the same game at the same settings.
  • The game you’re playing: Different games have different performance characteristics. Huge open-world and realtime strategy games can be more CPU-intensive, making them more likely to become CPU-bound. Other games can put a larger burden on your GPU and become more GPU-bound.
  • Ingame settings: Even for the same game, toggling your in-game settings has a large effect. Lowering some settings, like resolution, will lower the burden on your GPU, and make you less GPU-bound. Lowering other settings, like draw distance, can reduce the burden on your CPU as well.
  • Differences within the game you’re playing: Performance characteristics vary from scene to scene within a game: some scenes in a game can have a higher CPU cost than other scenes. The same goes for GPU cost
2 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

IMO given the news today I think that it is possible that there may not be new full length Halo campaign until a new Halo title is made which could be next gen.

1 Like

I think that should be the expectation.

Man, I wanted a new Campaign from Joe Staten so badly since I love ODST so much. This is really sad news today, never expected them to go to their most important (symbolic wise) franchise and make cuts. I really don’t understand this.

2 Likes

Turns out what was said time and again about the 343 leadership was true.

6 Likes

I think more often than not the people lower on the chain think management is incompetent. They say things like that with incomplete understanding of what impacts decisions.

12 Likes

Patrick wasn’t significantly lower on the chain…? Senior multiplayer designer.

I’d take his word for it beyond a attempt to defend 343’s leadership over the Infinite development cycle.

1 Like

You do realize in the professional world a word like “Senior” means very little, right?

Im not saying that to diminish the role any person, in any role, in any industry, plays in their respective organization. Nor am I going to say that I have direct insight into how 343 as an organization is structured either. However, at the organization I work for we have Senior Grounds crew, Senior Custodial, or on my particularly team Senior Server Admins. Those titles simply designate that you are a tenured member of the team. Not that you have more visibility into the goings on in the management tiers. I have no more insight into Manager and Director decision making processes now than when I was a Desktop Support tech eight years ago. Despite significant advancements in my career/title.

6 Likes

The development cycle was obviously a disaster, no idea what series of decisions and circumstances led to that. I just hear people talk crap about management every day and they lack context.

7 Likes

thanks for sharing this

I am repeating his previous position at 343.

Nothing more.

It doesn’t need a convoluted description from you in regards to your career… especially as you admit yourself to have no knowledge of the internal structure of the studio.

And you dont either, so posing that he has “Senior” in his title as some sort of cogent discussion point has next to zero value.

And to be clear, Im not even arguing that he is wrong, clearly by the way Halo Infinite has rolled out something was certainly wrong there. Im simply that you aren’t ever going to get a clear picture of it because everyone’s perspective is skewed through their own prism. Particularly when you have been let go.

Fair position to have… but I don’t think the opinion of those who were present at 343 should be automatically discarded on the basis of talking “crap”.

The dev in question clearly feels he needed to speak on the subject.