Xbox Game Pass subscriptions miss Microsoft’s Executive Compensation target

You could always do better, expecially outside NA and british dominions. That’s the missing link of many american companies, MS included. This missed expectation is actually better than I thought it would have been, considering the bad job they are doing in many countries, mine included.

That’s true, but only for now because gamepass is mostly tied to the console (and has been tied to a “failed” console and store for basically all of its life).

Hence the huge focus on Xcloud, to the point they are even letting it harm their console sales. They know they need to break out of the console barriers for this subscription to explode.

They could market but there aren’t units sitting on shelves - so they need to actually have units people can buy otherwise marketing is pointless.

1 Like

Of course you can always do better, and I’m not arguing that they wouldn’t be happy to beat even that goal.

But there’s difference in the expected growth which would mean they are underperforming (which is basically what everyone is reporting) to missing what you would consider to be an outstanding result.

1 Like

so… about Xcloud. for me it worked well. i finished (again) Halo 5 via Chrome and thought it was a good experience. of course it doesn’t compare to running the game locally but Cloud Gaming has a lot of potential and is already playable. but i think a $9.99 “Xbox Game Pass for Cloud” plan would be welcome. i think 15$ just for those who will play via the cloud is a little expensive.

1 Like

They let leak stuff as usual and these are the consequences, for any company. Anyway it’s no big deal for me, but it’s a yellow warning about their overall strategy, there are significant holes imo and some are directly related to the “american way” of thinking of MS as a whole. The golden era of 360 was lead by Peter Moore, an european guy, a coincidence? Imo they need someone not american in the Xbox buttons room, their vision of things is too american-centric.

1 Like

I agree, but I’m confident that will come around the time as the streaming stick/SmartTV app. Cloud Gaming still feels like a beta, even though it’s technically not anymore.

1 Like

It didn’t leak though, they reported it to SEC. People assuming this means they are underperforming is just business as usual when it comes to Xbox.

3 Likes

Agreed!

Every time here we talk about Sony locking down games we always hear that MS isn’t in it for that anymore, it’s about Game Pass for them. So rather having a big game release day and date on Game Pass than locking one down for a year or longer, I can see where they are coming from but we’re not there yet. With exceptions of course, Outriders being one. But most other day one titles have been indie games.

There are also still plenty games from last year that would be great to have on it, so if more big day one releases can’t happen just yet, why not go after those? But I have faith they will keep on making moves to improve it even more, after all this is the same company that just flat out bought Zenimax.

Which is good, because we all now Sony isn’t sitting still, they are making moves too and I’m definitely preparing for some very unfortunate timed deals next year. So hopefully MS can find a way to get more bigger stuff on there, both older, but especially way more recent.

I’m still wondering how 37% growth = xbox is doomed.

gamepass growth, as far as I remember, is higher compared to others gaming service, or gaming sale for that matter.

plus this year, a lot of countries are opening again, pandemic is getting better in a good sense so people tend to play less games and go out.

4 Likes

This is basically what I expected.

The 30m number suggested GP had seen the same explosive growth the service saw through holiday season 2020 to new year 2021 – this being the biggest sales time in any year and in this case Xbox also had a console launch – during a year where there was a chip shortage, constrained console stock, and very little in the way of exclusive games.

Just didn’t sound believable to me.

I said on another thread where the 30m number was discussed that in my mind hitting 25m for the end of the year would be a good result based on the circumstances. I think it will be around there.

4 Likes

Which is pretty much what @LucasTaves said. This is most certainly not what the corporate target was, but of course who cares about context when it comes to Xbox and negativity lol.

8 Likes

At the end of the day, the true test begins next year, big games are coming and the gen starts in full IMO.

And I believe that after experiencing how aggressive Sony is being towards locking down blockbusters, I’m expecting a more aggressive turn for Xbox as well.
Content is king for Gamepass, can’t let someone just randomly putting timers on possible deals for you.

1 Like

Cant sell hardware thats not available which is the biggest problem both Xbox and PS5 has.

That’s an interesting idea

1 Like

Great time to prep for it. Acquire, procure, publish

Of course, there would be consequences for due to the Halo Infinite delay.

If people want actual context, and not the usual Xbox-negativity circle-jerk (aside from the great points by @LucasTaves and Tom Warren), here’s a good little bit:

9 Likes

Man. What’s up with everyone and their mothers on the internet after hearing this kind of news. The real news here is a fact that Gamepass was and is still growing greatly without any brand new AAA 1st party exclusives atm. That **** should’ve been celebrated more.

But alas. A slight miss of % thingy is more attractive to be ‘discussed’ (read: concerned) than that.

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

6 Likes