Xbox Game Pass - Is Microsoft on track to be the "Netflix of Games"?

Hi friends, after digging up data on the hundreds of games that have come through Game Pass, compared it to 1000’s of games that launched on the Xbox One, and looked at how Game Pass is doing relative to Netflix’s historical data, we have some insights and thoughts. What do you think? Is Game Pass going to be as big for gaming as Netflix was for movies and TV? Or a smaller version?

23 Likes

Yay for Bad, this was a great vid.

4 Likes

Just watched it and I would like to congratulate everyone for putting this all together. I thought it was well researched and some insightful commentary done :+1:.

I am glad the growth in PC was highlighted because it is an area that is sometimes forgotten when compared to the size of mobile, but it is a market that is growing and has huge potential to sell 10s millions of subscriptions.

In conclusion I do think Microsoft is following a similar path to Netflix and the areas that need focusing is on the higher critical reception for 1st party games, more E rated games on to the service and to ensure more releases are done for PC and console at the same time.

2 Likes

Who else is?

1 Like

Good stuff!

1 Like

Great analysis, congrats. :wink:

The sky is literally the limit for GP, they invested during the darker times and now is literally exploding.

2 Likes

great stuff

had no idea about the Nadella-Netflix Exec connection

1 Like

I’m glad to be associated with people who make great content !

5 Likes

The trajectories with games and user numbers look really good right now and doesn’t seem to slow down. Will be interesting to see, how they expand beyond the core Xbox user base. With releases on PC, mobile and touch controls the people in charge seem to exactly know what they are doing.

1 Like

I think so, but with the knowledge of what worked and what didn’t at Netflix (and other subscription based services). So in theory they could do better, possibly making it more profitable and faster.

1 Like

Excellent article, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Terrific work guys!

1 Like

Game Pass will be much more profitable than Netflix. Great video!

2 Likes

Seems like it, Gamepass had transcended niche gaming communities and is now probably the biggest disrupter in gaming and getting main stream coverage and impacting the decisions of casual gamers

1 Like

I don’t see how anyone can infer Gamepass is a niche when it has as many users as MS sold OG Xboxs.

1 Like

I’d say yes. At first “the Netflix of gaming” was just an easy, off-hand way to roughly describe the service but now? It makes perfect sense.

Hopefully it keeps growing at a steady rate. All that’s missing, for me, is the “Xbox originals” section, which needs more new entries as the article said. We still wait patiently for those games…

Very cool, well researched & written article :+1:

1 Like

Video version for people interested :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow, very well made indeed.

Loved the stats and the insights are also well thought.

Keep up the good work guys

2 Likes

That’s what’s so fascinating with Game Pass in that it has grown predominately off the back of 3rd party content, sort of like Netflix before 2013. It is why once first party gets the cadence going, we should see a significant expansion in subscribers, because you start to have compelling, exclusive content.

3 Likes

I’m going to be bold here and say in 10 - 15 years time Xbox Game Pass / Xbox will be the one of the biggest entertainment subscription service and company (Disney, Netflix ect)

Gaming makes so much money, you can buy the game, pay a sub service, buy DLC and buy cosmetics, consoles, headsets and all sorts of other things. MS only needs to make a few Fortnites, Warzones and a few mobile games and they’re set. Some of these mobile/F2P games can make upwards of a billion plus every year.

I think MS could get 100m subs easily by 10-15 years which means they could be bringing in between something like 1 - 1.5B (12B - 18B 12 months) at current prices or if they increase them by just $5 in 15 years (completely possible) that’s 1.5B - 2B a month (18B - 24B 12 months) These numbers don’t include DLC, Game sales or MTX just pure cash from Game Pass per month.

MS could make a Fortnite / Fall Guys / PUBG / Among Us with such little funds but create a massive game which can bring in tons.

That’s my crazy theory, not fact just a theory haha.

4 Likes

I don’t see a price hike for Game Pass anytime soon especially with other forms of monetization being available. $15 is the sweet spot.

4 Likes