Xbox Acquisition |OT7| Come on down for your chance to win on “Who will Xbox buy next?!”

There’s the many partners they’ve been working with:

• Certain Affinity
  • Crystal Dynamics
  • Eidos Montréal
  • IOl
  • Brass Lion Entertainment
  • Interior Night
  • Avalanche
  • Stoic
  • Iron Galaxy
  • People Can Fly
  • Blackbird Interactive

Previous partners:

• Moon Studio
  • Remedy

Maybe some studios with porting experience too.

I’m sure I’m missing loads.

4 Likes

Personally I am kinda burnt out on this topic… But if I had a short list that does not include those that you mentioned.

Iron galaxy Gears for breakfast Harebrained schemes Evenening star Unseen

And any embracer studio thats not gearbox

2 Likes

I think a lot are as of now and I think after seeing how fast AI is moving that I think is where Microsoft is focused. I think Xbox need to focus on other things in the public’s eye before the go acquisition hunting again.

1 Like

Is definitely be up for some more family friendly studios like Gears for Breakfast and Evening Star.

To go down that same route I believe I have also previously suggested:

• Playful (Lucky’s Tale)
  • Playtonic (Yooka-Laylee)
  • Wayforward (DuckTales)
  • Good-Feel (Yoshi)
  • Hazelight (It Takes Two)
2 Likes

While I don’t think Ai would detract from growing in other branches of Ms. As each branch has its own pools of funding… I can agree that they will definitely trend carefully on purchases that require regulatory oversight.

Play tonic is partially owned by tenecet so I think they are off the table and doesn’t meta have a stake in playful?

1 Like

I can’t find anything RE: Meta & Playful but you’re right about Playtonic.

I wasn’t aware - Tencent seem to have their hands on everything these days! I think it will depend how much they own as it seems it’s only a minority stake.

Tencent also had a minority stake in ABK before they were acquired.

1 Like

It truly will be something to see what AI can create in the future and that is both a great thing and bad thing.

I just read Tyler Perry canceled a new studio lot, because of AI, so jobs will be lost from, yet I do think in the future more jobs will be created and is because of all the new ideas that will be incorporated into both video games, plus movies.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TheBlackViking3/status/1761566198725063149?t=u1WYAoGCtEN_rbOTf5_TDw&s=19

1 Like

If this was to happen, hopefully we can finally get a No One Lives Forever collection and then a new game.

If I remember correctly Activision owned part of the rights and Monolith owned the rest of it, so if you get WB Games, Microsoft will fully own the series.

1 Like

A reboot would be awesome!

I think WB technically own most of the Midway IP’s too which would be funny with the whole Matt Booty connection.

1 Like

The FTC are still trying to reverse the Activision deal, I believe.

Seems unlikely that they’d get clearance to buy Warner Bros games.

Sony could though. That’d be just perfect. Microsoft experimenting with putting their games on competitor platforms and then Sony get a few exclusive Arkhams on the way.

I never thought that Activision was a great purchase for Xbox fans (though Gamepass Cod could sway some people) but if it meant that they couldn’t get those big games I actually would like to be made on Xbox it’d be a real kick in the teeth.

Tbh, I don’t see WB selling their games division. They’ll pump out a new Hogwarts in a year or two. This is all down to Suicide Squad flopping. That’s not enough to take down a publisher.

3 Likes

I would agree if it were another publisher like SEGA. But CD and Eidos I’m thinking would be ok from that perspective

2 Likes

I think if they had just laid off redundancies and not development resources it’d be OK, but if they needed addition developer resources they should have used the ones they already had. That’s the question I’d be asking. What is CD/Eidos going to do that the Odyssey team couldn’t be doing instead?

2 Likes

It’s all about the IP, if Xbox goes after CD and eidos you can bet Tomb Raider,Deus Ex and hopefully legacy of kain will be the main reason for the deal.

3 Likes

“What is Turn 10/343i going to do that the Starfield team couldn´t be doing instead?”

Haven’t seen any indication that they have been acquiring to fill specific needs in the portfolio, so I don’t think the type of game they make is relevant.

Also like how you avoided Playground, since it would highlight the versatility of studios.

The FTC can try all they like, they are beyond incompetent and they don’t have a leg to stand on

As for WB, they are a trainwreck with a mountain of debt and Sony buying them is far from likely, not only from how much it would cost them but it would also cause regulator issues, largely from the movie side of things

1 Like

The FTC being incompetent is the problem, they set a bad look and lead the charge in some of the nonsense going on. They greatly encouraged the CMA in their folly and now ABK games streaming rights are gone. I would imagine they would incite the same folly if Microsoft went for another acquisition. They may be toothless but have enough reach to make things pretty difficult.

1 Like

Playground hired hundreds of devs for the Fable team, obviosly some core art and enginners of Forza team went to Fable team. Different teams is different from the same team creating two different type of games.