Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

If MS are going after a Japanese publisher it will be one that has big IPs and make a move that can create change for them in Asia and worldwide

Koei doesn’t really have that

Capcom, Square, Sega, Bandai are the levels of pubs they’d be after because of the IPs attached, otherwise they would just stick to individual studios

1 Like

I’m still all aboard the Square Enix train. They seem like they’d be open to selling, would bring a bunch of new content to Xbox/give Xbox a strong position in JRPGS and they have a wide range of connections to other studios that could be utilised. Plus they actually put out quite a lot of well reviewed smaller titles - the likes of Triangle Strategy, Diofield Chronicles and so on. I think with a service like game pass regular content like that would be a huge benefit.

6 Likes

Koei & Sega I feel are the most likely to sell all things considered. Mainly the way the market is going and high sales prices right now.

Ideally I’d like Capcom but let’s keep capcom open to everyone.

Some fearful part of me thinks Sony may go for Sega as it’s much cheaper than Square and they already have square mostly on lock.

As indifferent as I am to Square at this point, even I have to admit it would be a good purchase for GP, they pump out a lot of games, feels like they have a new smaller JRPG coming all the time which is pretty much what something like GP is after

I do wonder if they’d let them operate completely multiplatform though, I just can’t see them stopping Sqaure from putting all those smaller titles on switch and would be more like them not caring what they release on as longas there’s an xbox/gp/cloud option as well

The biggest issue with buying Square anytime soon would be their biggest titles are locked down for who knows how long, FF7R-2 is the end of next year so 3 wont be here for 4 years minimum and it’s likely already locked down

But im not expecting it anyway, I still feel Sony will nab them eventually

1 Like

I disagree. Why should we (Xbox community) should be concerned about other platforms? We should be the last ones to be concerned about others, especially if in any open opportunity Xbox loses games unles Microsoft is involved. If it benefits Game Pass, who cares about others (of course usually means Playstation).

From my impression, rather than selling they want to retain the company but get rid of any responsibility for it. Basically they want some sponsorship that noy only would provide them with money but also would manage everything else while their execs are engaging in other activities. Something like “open renting” or something.

Getting sonic would be huge for Xbox, I know people think of yakuza and atlus. But sonic is huge. The movies are doing well, they have tv shows coming.

8 Likes

Sonic as a mascot would be huge 100%

9 Likes

There you have it, MS is interested in Japanese publishers and studios. So we can stop all the arguments about that.

6 Likes

Having Sonic, Crash and Spyro as mascots would be something.

7 Likes

I want them to get CDPR personally.

6 Likes

On the other hand the back catalog is large and a lot would be new to Xbox. They could also focus on some quick wins like console ports of FF1-6 and the Dragon Quest games.

A lot of old SE catalog has never been on Xbox. Their whole lineup for 2023 does not even have Xbox versions either!

And ports are not the quick thing either.

1 Like

Going forward, yeah, by keep in mind that FF7RE, FF7 Rebirth, Forpsoken, and FF16 are all locked down by timed exclusivity deals, so you wouldn’t see major games from SE coming to Gamepass or Xbox.

Yeah, most of those are not coming until 2025 to other platforms even aside PS5. And I am sure that Sony’s contracts with FF are even more other platform unfriendly than Resident Evil Village contracts. I would not be surprised if SE partially sold FF IP to Playstation in some form. Because each mainline Final Fantasy since FF7R is PS exclusive (without even PC for years).

The only reason I’d ever want to see Xbox acquire Square Enix is to see the drama about Final Fantasy :wink:.

SEGA & Capcom would be my preferences.

SEGA would also provide alot of different genres.

7 Likes

Imagine a crossover with Banjo, Crash and Spyro…and they constantly assault italian plumbers gangsta style

The lack of NieR love in this comment makes me sad.

4 Likes

Dragon Quest is the only reason I would love to see Xbox aquire Square.

Then Jimbo would do a walk out with

(and laughing Nintendo noises in the background)

Though I think this time it would not be that friendly message at all. Especially after Sony proved to be a bad actor.

Unfortunately outside of the CD & Eidos properties (which Embracer now own) I have no interest in any Square IP.

Outriders is ok, that’s about it (for me personally).

Anyway isn’t Bayonetta better? :wink:

4 Likes