Xbox Acquisition |OT5| Talking Exclusively About Xbox Acquisitions

Elden Ring was released 3 months ago

GTA V was released in 2013

Minecraft was released in 2011

World of Warcraft was released in 2004

I doubt anyone cares about Elden Ring in a few months it also came out at a slow time there aren’t really any big games at the moment

1 Like

That’s true but for the type of game Elden Ring is it’s impressive. Those other games naturally have more longevity, they are in fact designed to.

I suppose it depends how much they own and whether that has any sway.

• Riot Games is American.
  • Epic Games (40%) is American.
  • Grinding Gear Games are from NZ.
  • Supercell is from Finland.
  • Sharkmob is Swedish.
  • Turtle Rock is American.
  • Yager is German
  • Funcom is Norwegian.
  • Sumo are from the UK.

Although most of their games are F2P they are huge, I seriously wouldn’t rule them out doing a console or subscription service in the west.

Anyway I’m going off topic.

If anything it demonstrates why they went for ABK!

• 1 TakeTwo
  • 2 Tencent
  • 4 ABK
  • 2 Valve
  • 1 Epic Games
  • 1 Square Enix
  • 2 EA
  • 1 Fromsoftware
  • 1 Xbox

Valve or EA actually look quite tasty too.

Imagine how big would be Skyrim in the modern era? With all these streamers etc. People love fantasy.

There is something important to take into account is that GTA V has sold more than 150 million unique copies so it is more attractive than other games to bring massive players to the Gamepass.

I get GTA is big but will it really bring in subscribers on its own, or will players just buy it outright to get it, especially when they come out so infrequently (it’s now nearly 10 years old!).

E.g. If Xbox do buy T2 and keep it multi-platform will PS players be tempted to get a Xbox/PC and GP or just buy it for their PS?

None of T2’s other properties are in the same realm of popularity (IMO).

Going back to that list most publishers have 2 or more games.

I’m sure someone has brought it up before but…

I feel like SEGA is banking a lot on their “Super Game” initiative. There is a high chance that just flops and they’re left with no real vision which would probably tank their share price. I feel like that would be the perfect moment for Microsoft to swoop in and grab them and I think they’re actually waiting on that. What do y’all think?

Unless Sega Sammy decides to sell Sega Corporation, nobody is gonna buy “our” Sega. Sega’s super game initiative is essentially the metaverse they are trying to create - tie together game worlds.

The “super game” initiative is supposedly just a fancy push with multiple games in it isn’t it? It’s a lot of money to be spending but it’s maybe not at risk of being ONE big flop

It’s the “future” of SEGA really. That’s what they’re selling it as and they’ve set aside nearly one billion dollars for it. It’s a few live service games which I think have a high chance of failing.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t just buy out Sega Sammy.

Because they don’t want to participate in other Sega’s businesses? Exactly the same reason why nobody is gonna buy Konami. The same reason Microsoft - for example - would not be interested in Kadokawa whole.

Sega’s other businesses aren’t that large compared to Sega itself and they can be left to operate independently.

1 Like

I mean I wouldn’t want that to happen. I’d rather they nail the “super game” initiative and give us a great Jet Set Radio reboot, Crazy Taxi, and whatever FPS Creative Assembly is making. Then we swoop in and buy them, or just have a healthy business relationship

The point is not to operate those businesses at all. All these businesses will have to be reported during their investor meetings and in quarterly reports.

If Microsoft were to buy Sega Sammy, they will have to report regarding their pachinko or anime business (that Sega has).

Sure, I think if done properly JSR and Crazy Taxi would be a lot of fun. However just like any live service, it’s extremely risky and I just see there being a very high chance of failure for them.

Those are like 1/4 of Sega entertainment revenue, they are a footnote in quarterly reports. Not to mention they would just be thrown into Xbox revenue. I’m not sure if they’ll ever actually acquire Sega but I don’t think that would be the reason they don’t.

1 Like

Microsoft does not “throw” stuff to some groups during the reporting for no reason. All in all, the point is not operate other businesses.

Bethesda does not report revenue separate from Xbox in their latest report. They were thrown into Xbox revenue.

Sure my point is more just that they’ve got their bets hedged across multiple games - it’s not quite such a risk of one game going bad and failing - multiple could fail and the others could be successful and carry them through. Or one could hit big and cover the rest failing completely. Or hey, they could just all fail.

Because Bethesda is no different from what XGS is doing? I don’t remember Bethesda owning hotels (and Sega has them)