Xbox Acquisition |OT5| Talking Exclusively About Xbox Acquisitions

I wonder what Asobo does after Requiem drops this year. If it performs well critically and in Gams Pass, then maybe Xbox finally goes in to make a deal assuming they haven’t already.

4 Likes

I think we let them go to Focus Entertainment. They own the IP anyways, and maybe could become a great partnership kind of like Sony and Square.

Ew no, Just buy the IP From focus when buying Asobo. Asobo going to any other publisher would be very sad, they fit perfectly with xbox

I guess it depends on a few factors:

• Will there be another Plague Tale?

• Do Asobo’s ambitions go beyond what Focus Home can afford as a smaller publisher?

• Would they partner with Xbox in a second-party capacity beyond Flight Sim?

• Is there a sentiment within the studio to sell in this hot market while they’re presumably peaking?

I’d hate to see Xbox take a passive approach and have an Embracer or Tencent swoop in.

I wrote off Asobo when they went out to get investors to remain independent. Could happen obviously, but I think we should consider it unlikely.

3 Likes

I do not doubt that MS already made the offer to buy Asobo, it’s just they want to stay independent for the time being.

Koei made the game afterall, and even if it looks like a xbox 360 game, the gameplay was great

Everyone wants to remain independent until they suddenly dont. Just look at Insomniac and Bungie, both studios that publicly valued their independence and ended up selling. Cant write anyone off in this market.

1 Like

Neither of them secured investment o reserve autonomy either though. Its definitely not impossible, it’s unlikely though.

Bungie did tho

So all Microsoft gotta do is pay like twice their value. Again, I’m not saying it’s impossible. They are making moves that explicitly say they don’t want to be acquired though.

If they’re smart, they know they have a talented team and could balloon their value by creating more IP before wanting to cash out.

I’d say it’s unlikely soon, but likely eventually.

1 Like

Asobo would be (relatively) cheap, a lot of Bungies price is because they own the destiny IP. Asobo doesnt own any of the Major things they work on.

I have a question. Why does it have to be large size acquisition when it comes to Sony? Why can’t it be small ones like well what they’re doing now. Bungie is the biggest and even then, it’s still in independent status. Why it has to be big one like Capcom or even Konami? Because it really reeks of “Xbox can’t get away with this! We need ours now!” It is the same fanbase that literally trended Konami soon after Bethesda acquisition. Asking for publisher obviously stem from Xbox and once more, if they don’t feel threatened, they wouldn’t aim so large like Capcom. To me, that’s hypocrisy.

No one know what can happen next, but in terms of wishful thinking in a realistic magnitude, it’s best to seek small or simple studio. Until Sony actually buy a publisher, I don’t believe it. I never thought of Bethesda with Xbox, rather another studio since I thought I knew their capability. I was clearly wrong and it got worse with Activision Blizzard. Bottom line, to me, people who keep only asking Sony to aim for publisher just scream “hurt by Xbox’s move.” What’s wrong with what they’re doing currently?

3 Likes

EWWW, thats my old one and I put outriders there

people don’t want to accept that Microsoft is just on a different level than Sony and no matter how much sony sweeps generations that won’t change

I doubt Sony will but a major publisher, the scale of their acquisitions shows how different these companies are. I do think Sony might someone major but if they do I feel like they will have a strong presence in other areas which Sony is in, KADOKAWA makes the most sense by far

1 Like

I think the publisher acquistiton will show for Xbox for a year or two while they focus on rounding it their current publishers with support and great fits. I redirect to see XGS and Bethesda both add studios, potentially Activision/Blizzard as well.

1 Like

These past 2 or 3 days the idea of sony buying a publisher is going around because people keep hinting at a “massive” acquisition that they somehow heard about from “multiple sources”.

I’d guess if you call it massive it can’t be smaller than bungie for example, but it’s all rumors, nobody has come out and said the actual name of the publisher going around, that for me is a sign that maybe it’s all just noise, but I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

IDK, all I thought when this came out was “didn’t microsoft have acquisitions rumours basically every month” but assuming its real my guess would be KADOKAWA