Xbox Acquisition |OT5| Talking Exclusively About Xbox Acquisitions

Ah yes, keep investing in the same market will help xbox grow in other markets, sure

Yes, only the western audience will think that, meanwhile sony and nintendo will continue being bigger and better than xbox worldwide

The Japanese games Xbox goes for isn’t for the people in Japan. It’s for folks in the west that like Japanese games. They just need to get enough of those people, which is entirely possible by just growing western market share.

1 Like

Xbox isn’t even the dominant player in America in terms of the console, they are behind the PS and the Switch but I never once claimed they wouldn’t expandin other area’s, hell I said its getting better with more JRPG’s and even some visual novels coming to xbox which suggests that maybe they are investing in those area’s, but if you want to focus on Asia…Blizzard is massive there including historically hard regions to break into like China.

In terms of genres though, EA has a good hold in mobile (which is the dominate gaming platform worldwide) and racing games along side horror and simulation games and Ubisoft has a lot of mobile studios (Once again, the biggest gaming platform world wide) and had a good hold in stealth, platforming, adventure and make most of the video game versions of board games. Just cos they are not specifically from country’s outside of the west (which Ubisoft is from France and has studios in North America, Europe and Asia (including 1 in Japan) so if you think they would expand xbox’s reach in terms of locations…lol) doesn’t mean they are not expanding in the slightest. On top of that Microsoft is likely looking at a future were companies like apple, google, facebook, amazon ect. buy up all this so why wouldn’t Microsoft want to become the dominate player in some of the biggest genres in the world

Yeah the dominate platforms in Japan are mobile, PC and the switch, the PS5 is doing ok in Japan but the PS brand is falling there for a while

Anyone care to bring the discussion back on topic? Xbox Acquisitions.

The world market and perception discussion has its own thread.

5 Likes

Rolls eyes

Should Xbox invest in other countries/regions? Yes.

Will they still grow in other regions by buying up all the biggest gaming IP? Of course.

The top 10 selling PS4 games in Japan (2014-2019) were

• Monster Hunter World (Capcom)
  • Dragon Quest (Square)
  • Final Fantasy (Square)
  • Kingdom Hearts (Square)
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 4 (ABK)
  • Metal Gear Solid V (Konami)
  • NieR Automata (Square)
  • Knack (Sony)
  • Persona 5 (SEGA)
  • Call of Duty WW2 (ABK)

If Xbox starts selling more consoles than PS in the west do you think Square, Capcom, Konami and SEGA will really continue skipping Xbox?

Guess what happens when all of those games then start coming to GamePass? Your telling me everyone in Japan will think I would rather spend 8000 yen for each game on PS rather than 1000 yen per month for hundreds of games?

1 Like

I want a flag too :black_flag:

1 Like

It’s off topic u guys, move it to the appropriate thread. We have a couple that could fit Japanese / Xbox support discussion.

1 Like

C’mon Xbox, do it.

11 Likes

They said they are committed to updating the game to a Season 3 but if literally nobody is playing it and no whales are getting hooked then aren’t they actually throwing money into a fire?

1 Like

They’ve got to be in talks with someone you think.

They’ve been super quiet for a while now. At the very least, I expect Tencent to be knocking on their door (especially since there’s already a monetary relationship there).

Also could be a good thing for Xbox since Mikami-san co-founded Platinum and could help strengthen that relationship internally with (hopefully) more ease.

2 Likes

I don’t buy into the argument that Microsoft “will buy EA (I don’t believe of course) so it is not a problem”.

The point is that Sony will get almost every big FPS game (aside Bethesda’s) and WRPGs (aside Bethesda’s). Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Respawn’s games, their own second party games, CDPR, Baldur’s Gate etc. Even Warzone will stay on Playstation. Overwatch too.

On Xbox though, it is literally 50/50 whether the biggest JRPGs are coming or not at all. We are even not sure if Capcom’s game are not gonna have any Playstation exclusivity! Which is crazy to think considering that Sony does not even own Capcom…

I would agree with that if Microsoft was just selling consoles and they were competing withing only console market. It would be again “western vs eastern” with slight advantage towards Sony (as they get a lot of eastern and western content by default). But in subscription service it should not be a situation where people think that if they like a whole genre of games, they should go straight to a different platform (or service) altogether.

Until they find out that game development is expensive and takes a lot of time :joy:

1 Like

Oh maybe, its just seems they will not be on sale anytime soon.

if platinum isn’t acquired, Bayonetta 3 is literally make or break for them. Microsoft should scoop them up in my opinion but I think tencent or netease is more likely to do it

1 Like

This is very interesting to me as I have watched that merger very close and this is the first time I’ve seen them speak on the gaming division at all. I guess time will tell if studios go up for sale,gotta be honest kinda disappointed

5 Likes

Absolutely, it was easy to say they would have sold those studios since WB never EVER mentioned them during the acquisition, but it seems they have plans for them in the short term.

1 Like

If they miss out on Platinum, I feel it would be a big miss to break into the Japanese market with a studio that clearly is wanting to be acquired by Xbox, they really need to pull the trigger on this one

I agree but I think what Microsoft could do is partner with PlatinumGames first to work on Scalebound again and if things turn out better then they could acquire them. And if Scalebound were to get cancelled again then Microsoft isn’t losing anything.

1 Like

Do we know if that is simply their QA department playing the game?

1 Like