Xbox Acquisition |OT5| Talking Exclusively About Xbox Acquisitions

Good for her and good for them :pensive:

1 Like

Neir, chrono trigger, they make kingdom hearts granted disney owns it, Bravely Defualt, Front Mission, Octopath Travellers, valkyrie Profile ect. but if we are talking big here, they have a connection to kingdom hearts since they make it, maybe nier and I would argue Chrono trigger due to its massive cult following and its massive in Japan. Now can I apply the same logic to bethesda, what big WRPG IPs do they own outside of fallout and the elderscrolls

1 Like

I asked which of this ips have they continued to work, there is no new chrono trigger, the last nier was a remake, and kingdom hearts 4 isnt coming anytime soon

Octopath traveler, valkyrie elysium, star ocean, bravely default, I havent seen any of those ips having a big impact in japan, just because square launch more jrpgs doesnt mean they are all masterpieces

Thats like saying that ubisoft is the king of open world games because they launch more games of that type than any other publisher

they can make a new chrono trigger if they want, the last nier being a remake shows what exactly? I don’t see this as a gotcha moment, just saying the series isn’t dead and kingdom hearts games came out between kingdom hearts 2 and 3 but if we believe the GeForce now leak Kingdom hearts 4 is coming. Also this is just my opinion but when comparing Square’s JRPG’s to Bethesda’s WRPG, I think square has more consistantly good quality but a dragon quest release is massive in Japan, that IP becoming exclusive alone would be enough to move the needle in Japan

They can, but what gives you the security that they will do it? Or a new nier in the near future? Or kingdom hearts 4, again

Tell me when was the last time that any of the new ips from square made a big impact as chrono? Just like all this is just your opinion, I can easily say that all this new jrpg games from square are just generic, nobody talks about octopath like other titles, but thats just my opinion

Seeing the news that Sony has brought Haven (a brand new AAA studio) I wonder if we will see Xbox do similar with some of the other new studios popping up.

Specifically Humanoid, That’s No Moon and Absurd Ventures.

Here’s some more:

4 Likes

You’re arguing about Octopath Traveller as if it was meant to reach AAA level of success - it wasn’t. It was a smaller game that had smaller success, as has titles like Bravely Default and Triangle Strategy - but they’ve been pretty consistently critically successful with these games. And the idea that Square Enix isn’t a huge force in JRPGs still is just being absurd, between Final Fantasy XIV being one of the biggest MMO’s in the world (and with the critical success modern day WoW could only dream of), FFVII Remake being a major success with a bunch of hype for XVI (and yes, both are JRPGs despite your claims to otherwise), the on-going success of the Dragon Quest Franchise, Kingdom Hearts, Nier Automata and Replicant being a major success (Nier Automata in fact being one of the best JRPGs of the past decade). That’s a LOT of critically and financially successful JRPGs in the past 5 years alone. I’m really not sure what else you think Square Enix has to prove here.

for kingdom hearts and nier, the same team. For chrono trigger maybe give it to the team who made octopath travellers. That seems like a good fit to me

Kingdom hearts and fair

I am using octopath traveller because the guy is talking about square launching a ton of jrpgs and much of them are indie sized

But if you want me to talk about the big ones, then it will be forspoken, valkyrie elysium and the last star ocean, tell me, those games made a big impact in japan when they where announced? Is forspoken going to make xbox big in japan?

That’s a bad-faith comparison and you know it; unlike Square-Enix, Bethesda’s RPGs have been increasing in popularity with every release. With the exception of FFXIV, Final Fantasy has been selling fewer copies than 20 years ago, despite releasing on more platforms.

5 Likes

Make a thread to discuss the Sony acquisition people; Haven literally has no effect on Xbox, so the tangential argument doesn’t even apply here.

8 Likes

And this are just possibilities, and until they prove a change I will not change my opinion of their latest games being generic, but anyways I am tired of this discussion

If you want to believe that square is the best buy for xbox and that they have better ips than capcom or sega(even if they dont use most of them), ok thats just your opinion but stop trying to turn it into a fact

1 Like

I was refering more to quality but fair point, I will admit I didn’t consider that

I don’t think Square is the best buy overall, I think thats take two for multiple reasons, I think think in terms of breaking into Japan they are the best buy but even then I think capcom is better from a general sense as their IPs have world wide popularity and have more veriety and for SEGA…I think Square is a better buy but that just me

2 Likes

This could be a good acquisition :smiley:

12 Likes

I hope Microsoft scoops them up so they can get good funding, old bioware games are great

8 Likes

I’d rather they partner up and support them first instead of just buying them outright, then after buy em.

Yeah. They should go after IO and CE.

1 Like

In terms of indivual studio’s…if I could choice 5 I would say IO, CE, Humaniod, neatherrealm and either avalanche or platinum should be their top targets personally

Humanoid haven’t shown anything no?

I feel Humanoid is a big risk because new studios even though with veteran lead doesn’t always mean success.

1 Like