Xbox Acquisition |OT2| Something, Something, Snowball Effect

My point was if they’re planning on remaking TLOU (and supposedly the original Uncharted which was the original plan I guess), they’re probably planning on doing this with more games.

That’s why I think Blue Point makes sense if that’s Sony’s play right now. Allows their main teams to focus on their main projects.

I think it does to an extent. Which made a bigger impact? Buying Zenimax for 10 AAA games or buying 30 indie studios.

ahhh ok i didn’t understand

but it was not Sony’s idea to make a Uncharted/TLOU remake. Sony have a support studio at San diego that wanted to create a project and become a "real " studio so they choose to try their hand on Uncharted remake and then on TLOU because it was easier. It was not Sony idea, just an idea of one of their support studio

Sony don’t have old valuable game that can be remastered by Bluepoint for PS5, that’s why I think their team are not going to have problem to focus on original game

I think they need studios that do more creative games. With Xbox, we know that they support their games with back compatability and they’ve shown the ability to update their games fps via code. Who knows maybe they’ll work on an AI solution that compares graphics and rerenders them for the future. Maybe something like a GAN network can tackle that type of problem.

1 Like

I think the issue is that those types of games don’t really sell (although, Minecraft, Roblox and Rocket League do)…the key word being sell, Microsoft specifically changed their business model from focusing on game sales to focusing on selling time with a large library of games.

Selling games is hit driven and Sony have painted themselves into a corner by homogonizing their titles to be extremely formulaic. god of war used to be an action game like devil may cry until Sony blatantly wouldn’t greenlight another action game, so it became the last of us with an axe.

Because that’s what sold. Thats what they told their fans to buy.

Microsoft selling subscriptions means the content doesn’t really matter (good,bad,low budget, big budget, any game of any genre) as long as the subscriptions keep going up and you don’t overspend on content that it drives you into the red.

Microsoft knows buying studios and publishers and knows:

This will bring customer satisfaction and people retain their subs This will gain new subscribers faster and quicker then if you don’t buy them They have the PC, Cloud and consoles for their install base

Sony can’t invest in new AAA games because new IPs are less likely to sell your requisite number and can’t stop you’re existing IP because thats your breadwinner, hence the $70 price, hence the $60 expansion packs, hence the $40 remaster.

Can’t sell on cloud, Xbox has them beat. Can’t sell on PC, you’ll only sell less Playstations.

And secondly, they don’t have the studios. What happenned to all the independant AAA studios they could have hired? Microsoft and THQ Nordic bought them.

what studios would these be? :chief_think:

1 Like

Haha fair question. That was just a prediction but I guess I can take a swing at it: Hello Games, IO Interactive, Bit 11 and Techland.

Xbox should be looking ahead and creating new games instead of looking back and remaking games already experienced.

Since the Bloomberg articles said that Xbox was in talks to acquire studios we have had news of kojima games, Japanese games coming to xbox, rumors of them buying IPs and more. I wonder if they will buy studios and who could the be? I hope its bokeh studios or Nakamura new studio. I absolutely don’t expect them to buy any big publisher in Japan, at least not until they have a lot more mind share in Asia.

The exception to that could be a publisher that has popularity in the West. I still look at Sega as someone like that with their European studios and pc presence.

I think the next purchase will be under either Bethesda label or a publisher purchase.

1 Like

But pretty much the big publishers all already have PC presence with western studios. Sega, Square Enix, Capcom. Money is also not an issue, it’s the owners willingness to sell. In the bethesda letter they said they wouldn’t sell to anyone but Xbox. For example, Nintendo didn’t want to sell despite Microsoft having the money to do so.

So I guess the good news is that the AI Medical Company shows us that if the price is right that Publically traded companies are good to go acquisition wise.

7 Likes

There is never a problem in purchasing the public company. It is more about whether some other company will decide to participate in bidding. Like for example in case of Codemasters or Leyou.

If MS really wants something, there is a handful of companies that can overbid it. For private companies it is easier as the owners might personally want to sell it to somebody and so on.

4 Likes

Not sure if Behaviour has any interest in selling, but wow, they’ve been growing a lot.

4 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

DbD 2?

More expansions?

Juggling Dbd/DbD2/New Ip?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ve been thinking a little bit more about the importance of PC.

Right now there are roughly 50 million units sold of the Xbox One & Xbox Series consoles. It’s still proving to be a limited user base to sell Gamepass to. Whereas with PC you have over 1.5 billion gamers.

With games like The Show 21 hitting the Xbox, Gamepass’s value is hard to deny. But the PC version of Gamepass is still somewhat bare bones compared to the console version and it becomes more apparent when games like The Show 21 are not available on PC. PC Gamepass feels like a good year and a half behind the console version.

The reality is that there are going to be some console only offerings and it makes sense for Microsoft to have some PC only offerings. The perfect genre for that are RTS games.

Having SEGA’s PC offerings seems like it could be a cornerstone of Gamepass PC. Between that and AoE, They could lock up a critically important PC gaming genre.

So I was thinking that any near term future acquisition should have a significant impact on PC. Get that ball rolling so that it as irresistible as console Gamepass by the end of '22.

3 Likes

Why I been thinking that Paradox although not a sexy name in the console space would be a great purchase for the PC aspirations.

3 Likes

I know they expanded a bit due to DBD Mobile (seemingly a separate team than the main team), they also do a lot of contract work too. Wouldn’t be surprised if they start working on another original IP soon.

Ok this is going to be hilarious… gonna post just before bed then wake up to the craziness.

Enjoy :joy:

6 Likes