Xbox Acquisition |OT2| Something, Something, Snowball Effect

Just driving by to say amazing OT title.

3 Likes

Even though I LOVE Bandai Namco, with its money (16.122B) Microsoft could basically buy the entirety of Square Enix, Capcom AND Sega (18.336B).

9 Likes

I wouldn’t say worst option, but it definitely is one of the least… erm… seemingly sensical options when you take price into consideration.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I really don’t care for Marvel. The movies are, with a few exeptions, mediocre at best and the comics are a mess. Feels like the McDonalds of entertainment.

5 Likes

And yet they far exceed many other films or TV series, however unfortunate that is. Not everything can be a hit.

As to what would make a great game transition, nothing instantly comes to mind.

Maybe Hitman set in the Star Wars Universe where you’re the Bounty Hunter? Or more of an Indiana Jones / Tomb Raider puzzle exploration as the Bounty Hunter? Maybe that’s too close to JFO?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t necessarily say Marvel is mediocre, but I definitely think “safe and boring” rings true for most cases when it comes to Marvel right now.

I use to love going to see every Marvel movie and buying the comics, but they’ve flooded their market so much now that (aside from certain characters like Deadpool, Moon Knight) I just don’t care anymore.

I would be curious what Xbox will go after when it comes to acquiring major IP (or securing exclusivity) in the future. There’s a lot of options out there, even though I’m still more in the camp of “build up your brand with your own IP”.

2 Likes

I really think Xbox going hard after square west makes so much sense, they get that iconic character and female lead, it’s an absolutely massive IP and Square gets someone else to finish out funding the fixes for the train wreck that was avengers and profits in the sale while redirecting their focus to what they do so well.

6 Likes

I completely agree.

I am not sure why everyone quickly goes to Marvel when it comes to super-hero talk. As you said, the movies are mediocre at best and the comics are currently a mess.

If Xbox were to get any type of superhero, I’d rather them ask WB for a DC property. Can you just imagine a video game on characters like Constantine, The Sandman, The Watchmen, Doom patrol etc.

IMO, DC has more interesting properties to do video games on.

5 Likes

We need a new thread for Marvel/DC stuff.

This is the acquisitions thread.

10 Likes

Yup! It is an unpopular opinion :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Maybe on the movies as of right now, but Mort is not wrong on the comics. Marvel comics have not been good for a while now.

2 Likes

Maybe. I am not into comics anyways.

1 Like

That would be extremely surprising. Bandai Namco is like only next to Square Enix in how big they are. I just don’t see it.

1 Like

I think Bandai Namco makes more sense as a partnership due to their price and half their major releases being licensed properties.

They are in the same camp as SEGA though when it comes to partnering with Xbox. They’ve been working close for years now (so many of their titles are now marketed and debuted with Xbox now).

Really would love to see a bunch of the Tales title come over the Xbox platform.

Who knows though? Anyone is on the table if Microsoft is serious about it.

2 Likes

That’s ashame. The stories told on the comics significantly surpass those told in the movies

3 Likes

Thank @Sikamikanico for that one; I was on auto pilot and changed it to “It’s a Monopoly”, without seeing his handiwork :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you think the rumour from that Portfolio manager guy about MS planning to get a publisher in Asia is true ? To me it would only make sense.

2 Likes

Maybe MS could acquire DC? :wink:

1 Like

If the whole “same trajectory as Bethesda” thing is true, then Square Enix is the best fit to that description imo.

• Avengers (Fallout 76, but without a rebound)

• Recent exclusivity deals (FFXVI/VIIR, Forspoken), heavily supporting GP recently (so we know they’re obviously constantly in talks)

• Titanic/iconic IP with a long history (Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Life Is Strange)

• Resource issues - FFXIV director seems insistent this is what is holding up the Xbox port

• Major success with an MMO (ESO/FFXIV), Jez was one of the few that mentioned Xbox was looking for an MMO, which they got with Bethesda

Idk, Square would be surprising, but if it’s an Asian publisher with a Bethesda-like history/trajectory, they fit the bill the most imo.

I also find it interesting that NieR Automata had a new PC port for Game Pass… and that Phil has been playing it and Octopath Traveler as of late…

Honestly, it’s probably just a partnership, but I’d love to be wrong.

I fully expect to see NieR Replicant and maybe even Final Fantasy VIIR going to GP “day and date”.

5 Likes

I think what we should be looking at when it comes to publishers is less buying the publisher and more buying parts of it.

Like, I don’t see Square Enix selling, but I could see them selling SE Europe and the Eidos name, and that brand would change to Eidos. Similarly, I don’t see Sega-Sammy selling (including ATLUS), but I could hypothetically see MS buy SEGA and leave ATLUS with Sammy or possibly even leave the SEGA name and Sonic IP with Sammy too (a bigger ask admittedly) getting SEGA Europe, RGG and Online R&D leaving Sonic Team, the Arcade Studios and ATLUS with Sammy.

2 Likes