Xbox Acquisition |OT2| Something, Something, Snowball Effect

Rand corroborated it. He messaged Rand the day before.

1 Like

Honestly I think Valve is wishful thinking, they have remained private (non traded) and likely its the largest one in the industry in that category. I can see partnerships (something that Epic documents can indicate), but not an acquisition, they wouldn’t have even changed the store fees unless they had it as a backup plan in case the negotations fail.

And for some of the companies who people wonder: Ubisoft likely not because EU-France wouldn’t allow it as it’s the largest gaming company there, ironically most of their profit output comes from Canada. EA VERY doubtful. Acitivison not by a long f** shot. CDPR EU-Poland wouldn’t allow it because its the second largest and represents likely 70%+ of the money in the industry there. The more plausible takes are buying a significant portion of the shares where they earn the right to vote and/or have deals.

Thanks man.

1 Like

I think we are too quick to throw the “government won’t allow it” thing out there when it comes to acquisitions. Is there any law or historic precedent a transaction like that to be blocked by the government?

4 Likes

Yes, the US Government denied Broadcom acquisition of Qualcomm over security concerns, and Qualcomm falied to acquire NXP because the Chinese government stalled it since foreign companies who make a big profit share over there must go through their regulatory system.

EU which is considered harsh with big companies would likely block because it would grant an foreign entity a lion’s share of the overall market or the country’s industry.

If there’s anyone big Microsoft could buy, it has to be a local company as it wouldn’t be at odds much, or… a second option could be looking for one in Japan as they have plenty, but still it would have to go through a regulatory process, it’s not impossible to buy a japanese company, it’s a legend, but they have some kind of cateogory tier system introduced last year to avoid mass acquisitions/shares from foreigners.

Things like security concerns and military technology make sense to block. I have a hard time with that carrying over to a video game company though.

Any of these purchases will need to go through a regulatory process, I definitely don’t think its a given that they’d be blocked though.

1 Like

Even if it’s not security, they could scrutinize it, Microsoft had its fair share of issues with anti-trust, and these companies represent a majority of an industry with huge value, so it is possible that they could deny it.

I know this will get laughed off but I’m hearing Xbox is acquiring TT Games, Monolith, Netherelm, Rocksteady, IOI and Avalanche. You all know I follow this stuff super close and I speculate all the time, this is not that and it’s not something I’d post without being quite confident. Bookmark this post.

20 Likes

Green Arrow Laughing GIF

4 Likes

I believe…. In AllianceOfficer.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Shouldn’t this be a reference to Opera with the main singers getting ready?

1 Like

I’m a insider now.

2 Likes

someone help me understand this reference?

1 Like

I’m assuming it means news soon

What indie studios would you like to join Xbox Game Studio?

looney tunes omg GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

Sunday, Monday, Thursday ?

Moon, Supergiant and Playdead

Shake My Head