Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

Why do I feel like MS is going to pick up something big with a lot of loved IP to lock down to the Xbox platform to strong arm Game Pass on more platforms. Could you just imagine for example if all Ubi’s games were exclusive that would kinda be a big blow to everyone that’s not Xbox. I feel like Amazon, Google and Microsoft are going to buy a big publisher each. EA, Ubi, Activision

1 Like

Neither of those 3 publishers are in any dire need to be bought by anybody and we would be talking historical type purchases for the 3 biggest independent publishers Id say.

1 Like

What is taking soooo long? I want moar studios, naow!

8 Likes

After checking out the The Medium opening 18 minutes video I’m more sold on a Bloober Team acquisition. They fit the Compulsion Games mold of team with talent that needs the first party stimulus package to clean up the rough edges.

4 Likes

WB studios have only ever worked on licensed IP, and have no fanbase outside of this. A lot of these studios are completely unproven outside of Batman, Lego etc. Throw in the fact Rocksteady havent released a game since 2015 and it becomes one hell of a risk to acquire them

And I just think taking on all those licenses is a massive drag for any console holder. A huge commitment, lots of politics etc. I just dont think MS are interested

1 Like

Yeah more I think of it, more I think you’re correct. I believe Microsoft is also fairly confident of the potential for Game Pass to make new or dormant IP into big IP. That would become big IP that they can monetize beyond just Game Pass. While Game Pass is the heart and soul of their future platform, they’re bullish on gaming overall and the potential it presents beyond just one thing. Other people’s licenses limit the upside potential of any game created. I think they’ll only take on licenses they don’t fully own in rare situations.

1 Like

It really, really is not. You are talking about an OBSCENE level of talent there. Rocksteady, TT, Avalanche, Monolith, Montreal, Netherrealm… I don’t know why we talk about licensed games as if they’re easy to make. Arkham isn’t great because of Batman, it’s great because it’s great. Shadow or War isn’t great because of LOTR, it’s great because it’s great. And so on. So yeah, I disagree in the strongest fashion.

On top of that, Xbox has plenty of old IP to dig up, if they are incapable of creating new stuff (which I think is a silly position).

5 Likes

Honestly, Dontnod makes too much sense. That type of content is just perfect for gamepass

They’re reorganising by dissolving the existing divisions but they’ve done this before. They aren’t actually closing it, just shuffling.

1 Like

Thanks, I saw earlier reports that have since modified their statements

Agree they would be sweet small get and fill the horror niche in gamepass. Xbox is looking for diverse lineup and a Studio with a steady flow (even at this small number) fills a gap. They want to sell and would be a nice get for xbox.

I think it depends on Microsoft’s other options. Relative to other publishers, WB could present more risk. Back before the Bethesda purchase when they were rumored, my opinion then was that they didn’t make sense due to those studios reliance on WB IP and the number of employees they had. If WB was the only publisher on the selling block, I’d be more bullish. As stands, their studios are knee deep in WB IP for the foreseeable future. I think you both bring up pretty valid points. Me personally I love their talent and Netherrealms would be an amazing get. Would like to see Monolith return to FEAR. To see Rocksteady with their own IP. However they do have a lot of team firmly intermingled with WB’s other creatives. I think their studios work closely with creatives outside of gaming for example. Breaking that up could pose a risk. Continuing to be tied to WB IPs limits upside. If no other major purchase was being considered, I’d think WB was a strong consideration…but based on the news with TenCent, it’s looking like everyone is being considered.

1 Like

Ah cool.

Here is the followup clarification, for anyone who missed it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1353782899137458177

1 Like

Amazon and Google NEED IP and they need it yesterday, buying someone like Ubi would give them that. MS would want to do it to take it away from Amazon and Google. Amazon and Google won’t care if someone needs to be bought or not they will do a hostile take over.

Yeah, WB studios would nicely fill out xboxs studio collection. Fighting, family, and 3rd person action games. At that point the only weak spot is Japanese style games.

Rocksteady is a little concerning. Something seems up with them. Neathetrealm would be so awesome. Have them juggle MK plus some new style is fighting game. That would be great

Why is rocksteady concerning?

Runor is was next few games are all GaaS. If that’s the case im not sure acquiring is worth it

Oh hell naw. Suicide Squad will be the next Anthem and Avengers.

Lol if that happens they’re definitely getting sold :rofl::joy: