Why didn't Microsoft buy Bungie?

I forgot the pricing multiples but it was something like 3x what they were worth, which is 1.5 to 2x how much a buyer should pay. Pachter (an equity reserach analyst for the industry) shit on the deal saying Sony overpaid out of weakness.

1 Like

Be honest has anything that Pachter said ever come true ?

He’s a highly respected analyst amongst professional investors in the industry, maybe not smart enough for reddit and forums though.

If Microsoft bought bungie for what they wanted and they remained independent still Xbox would never live it down

2 Likes

May I quote Parris Lilly ? “You don’t spent x billion dollars to keep it the same”.

There will be exclusives, timed dlc for sure

3 Likes

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50989

2 Likes

Unless the contract you sign stipulates that things stay the same.

1 Like

Where’s the contract? You seen it? They’ve put up a blog post…

Sony will be their boss, you don’t tell your boss what to do, they dictate what you do

For what? One game in 5 years thats a live service game? Fuck that. Destiny isnt worth 2 billion

And lets be real. Ms will ask them to make halo again.

Pachter said that you generally pay a specific price per employee or something like that, and that for Bungie Sony paid several times the normal going rate of even several times the highest amounts he has seen in this industry, meaning that they clearly overpaid for this deal and most likely went for it because of fomo with the ongoing buying craze.

Here’s part of the interview with Yahoo finance: Sony, I think, just did a me too statement and said, we’re not going to be left behind. So we’ll buy Bungie. Just to compare and contrast, EA bought Respawn about three or four years ago for $700 million with 400 developers. And those guys generate $700 million a year in revenue. Bungie does about $200 million in revenue. So I think Sony vastly overpaid.

I think this was a statement that [Sony’s] not going to let Microsoft get ahead of [it], so [it’ll] just buy something out of desperation. It’s not really a deal that makes a whole lot of sense to me,” he concludes.

1 Like

Believe what you want, they said what they said.

2 Likes

Do you know how contracts work?

They would only agree to a sale with their games remaining as multiplatform. This is not up for debate. Sony and Bungie both unequivocally stated it as a fact. To pretend otherwise is to present a bad faith argument. What is the point of this thread, you ignoring basic facts? If so I’m happy to close it and let you have a nice break to think over your next one.

3 Likes

Close it off Jesse