Why are Microsoft's Back Compat team so far ahead of the rest?

Spending more budget on the online service wouldn’t have prevented PSN from being duck taped together and the team making a fatal mistake with their primary key in databases. Sometimes it’s just about talent and you can see this with PS Studio. They have budget, sure, but experience developing games, too and the combination makes them so unbelievable strong this generation.

BC is less about developing games and more about VM and Ms has superior knowledge in this area.

Because MS give a damn and are working hard to give consumer friendly features to people. MS is trying a better way to get people in their eco system. Give them great value and respect their past purchases.

This is why console wars are stupid, the platform that is in 2nd or 3rd place almost always tries harder and gives gamers better value for their games then the clear market leader who also almost always sits on their ass thinking of ways they can nickle and dime their user base.

From a consumer stand point their is very little actual “reward” from always going with the market leader. Being able to say “I’m #1” is not as important as getting great deal on games, better hardware and much better services.

BC is just a clear example of this in practice.

What an informative and great video. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Their investment and commitment.

Truthfully BC wasn’t something I used to give too much thought about but it’s something I’ve really grown to appreciate. I couldn’t imagine leaving certain games behind in previous generations. Halo: MCC instantly comes to mind.

One of the things I’m most excited about with Series X is how some of these games are going to run. I’ve watched a couple of the Gears 5 dev streams and it seems like it’s going to get a serious performance bump.

1 Like

I also think something needs to be properly called out, cause basic BC in and of itself is nice but they way MS has done it really is amazing and REALLY adds a real modern purpose for why BC can be great.

BC enhancements of old games is pretty amazing, playing RDR in 4k where the game now almost looks like a current gen game is so worthwhile.

AS game geometry gets more complex BC will come in really handy in the future because old gen games won’t age as badly as say PS1 and PS2 games. Some Xbox One games are going to look amazing being enhanced for the Series X and that makes playing BC games a much more viable option going forward.

Play the old games you love but play them so they almost look like current gen games.

That is what makes Xbox BC so amazing.

To put it simple, it’s a combination of software, hardware and smart people that build both to make things easy for bc. I hope we get more details about bc on XSX soon.

2 Likes

MS is the king of BC.

They have been doing it for years.

1 Like

Yep,and that in itself makes me doubt their commitment to backward compatibility. Hell Sega aren’t even in hardware anymore and the Genesis Mini shames that abomination all over the place. Sony have allot to prove here,they cant just ride on their name with it,and they really haven’t shown anything with backward compatibility so far at their events,the pressure is on them since they have a cloudy history with this feature.

I dont think that Sony dont care about BC myself. They had PS1 BC on PS2, and put the EE into the PS3 for BC until they needed to cut costs and took it out. Also, they limited the PS5 to having 36CUs as a way to help along with BC ability. Thats quite the millstone around your neck to carry forward into a whole new generation.

Ah yes, I understood some of those words.

1 Like

:slight_smile: