Whats happening with PS4 enhanced BC on PS5?

Does seem like something that was whipped up on a back of am enveloppe to add some value to PS+.

Or replace some of the PS+ value.

Remains to be clarified if ā€œfree games with PS+ā€ is still a thing on PS5 (at least during the first stages of the next-gen). To me it looks like they will be giving away the PS4 games (playable on PS5) and access to this collection for PS5 players.

I can smell an exclusive Geoff K presentation with a deep dive for the new UI and other software related stuff like BC enhancement and some other new features.

Yes, but it is still pretty cool, especially for people who didnā€™t have a PS4.

What if the PS Plus collection is really the answer to BC? Lol

Think they have said somewhere, buried in some interview that 99% of games are BC.

Damn their messaging is awful.

The worst offender is opening preorders before even showing the real console and all features UI, ssd tech etc where is all the SSD hype? The UI how is it? How is the real console ? Where is the teardown? The base clock? And so much other questions

Shady practices, people not really happy with that and they are rightfully so to be

Itā€™s interesting that for this showcase they showed ā€œsimulated PS4 and PS4 Pro gameplayā€ rather than showing how they actually run on PS5 hardware which, by now, should be more than ready. Donā€™t quote me but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if their BC program was heavily underwhelming.

8 Likes

Depends what you are after really. If you are just looking to play PS4 games, I do expect the PS5 to do that and to run them well. However, if you are looking for ways the PS5 might enhance PS4 games like Microsoft has done, I think you are going to be disappointed.

1 Like

Tangentially related to the thread topic:

2 Likes

Xbox stays winning again!

1 Like

And the BC games were not shown running on a PS5. Instead they showed ps4 and pro footage.

1 Like

But then why not show the games running on an actual ps5 instead of ps4 and pro footage saying to trust them it will look and run just the same on an actual ps5?

I mean they got no shortage of ps5 devkits to show the ps5 games, so what gives?

Hate they are forcing us to read between the lines, but the actual quote is that 99% of the games they tested worked.

So thereā€™s this question: How big was the sample they tested?

1 Like

Maybe 10 lol

I donā€™t know because Sony has been very eager to show games running on the PS5.

Its probably not coming at launch, there BC probably still needs work.

But isnā€™t there PS+ collection going to be at launch? If so, then BC will be at launch as well.

1 Like

Nah, Jim has said they 99% of PS4 games will play on PS5ā€¦ But ya know there arenā€™t any specifics and it was Jim soā€¦

Probably a silly questionā€¦ Can you play the backwards compatible PS4 games with the Dualsense on PS5? Or will you need a Dualshock 4?

99% of thousand they tested will be backwards compatible, however he never said when. Sounds a lot like xbox one bc with x360