What The Coalition should work on next after Gears

My, and I’m sure many, take on Coalition on Gears isn’t just based on the IP itself, we don’t just want them to work on new IP or whatever just for the sake of it, but because at least that would guarantee they make something different, not the same foundation and formula from 2006.

If they can reinvent and overhaul Gears and make it feel fresh and modern, on all aspects possible, then I’ll be all for it. Whatever it is, whether the Gears IP or new IP, just make something actually new.

2 Likes

Hoping for a new IP. Maybe that cancelled Shangheist game they were making.

The Coalition is one of Xbox’s best studios and for years they’ve been trapped in a franchise they didn’t even create and have been constrained by the rules set out by Epic Games. I like Gears but it’s time to set them free.

So I got to work on how I’d design the roster of heroes for the reboot. Each one on top of representing a fighting style is an element or type.

Fire, Ice, Arcane/Magic, Earth/Wood, Light, Lightning, Darkness, and Wind/Air maybe. N3 Reboot characters concept

3 Likes

A Star Wars game would be lit

There are plenty of Star Wars games on the way. Not sure it’d be worth Microsoft’s resources to use a first party studio on just another Star Wars game, even if it is good.

Obviously, if that’s what the Coalition wants to do then so be it but I’d guess they’re interested in establishing something new. We’ll see what this smaller project turns out to be.

more Gears

4 Likes

The Coalition were originally working on a spy game before moving over to Gears. Wouldn’t mind seeing them tackle that again, maybe using the Starcraft Ghost IP.

If they stay with Gears, I’d love to see a true horror direction for the Series.

1 Like

Are you really ok with more TPS Gears with a design foundation from 2006?

lmfao Gears discussion thread 2.0, only this one not championed by @javycane.

Yet.

But yes, it’s time Coalition became more than “underrated masters of Unreal Engine”

2 Likes

Purposely avoiding this thread lol.

1 Like

out here like

3 Likes

depends if these more gears games make a comeback or not.

they got the data. they will decide on it

I hope they take a break from Gears series, a whole new title that gives them the freedom to be creative and renew ideas, personally medieval and swords :yum:

And that could happen only through:

• New IP, licenced IP, or even an IP from the Xbox library of IP.

Or if they’re really just tied to the Gears universe then:

• A complete reboot and overhaul of Gears. Not only its gameplay and mechanics but also its attitude and some rules and expectations of its universe, they should take liberty even with the lore if they need to (not that anyone takes it seriously anyway). I hate to bring this up but just take GoW 2018 as example, not to copy what it did but just be inspired by how they rebooted and refreshed the series while keeping something there that still felt like it, without affecting the newness of it. The results: great game, critical acclaim, amazing sales, liked by old fans and brought in new fans.
2 Likes

E0OuoGFWUAUcupt

2 Likes

Sure, just beat hivebusters and it was a ton of fun. Keep growing that out.

1 Like

It’s still the 2006 foundation but I’m not arguing against it being good or fun, I enjoyed it too. I’m just saying, it’s not moving anything in any way for Xbox or making a big name for Coalition which is something we and many see in them and want to see it realized :slight_smile:

I think the next Gears will continue what 5 started and be a true evolution for how the series plays.

1 Like

It is though, in terms of XGP numbers. Gears is still huge and needs to continue.

The multiplayer, needs to be its own thing

STARCRAFT GHOST is objectively the only correct answer