What has happened to all the video games?

Interesting article, worth a read.

So what’s going on? Ask any developer and they’ll tell you that we’re witnessing the repercussions of COVID-19. Yet with the movie and TV industry continuing to deliver major releases, what is it about games that means we’re still struggling some two years since the pandemic started?

9 Likes

Yeah, interesting and provided a few points I hadn’t heard or thought of. I should point out that the extract you posted misled me into thinking it was the opposite kind of article and I almost clicked away out of annoyance :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Honestly this year has been great for me as I’ve finally knocked out a ton of games in my backlog that I’ve been meaning to play over the years

• Alan Wake
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Pikmin 3
  • Yoshi’s Crafted World
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Quantum Break
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Resident Evil VII

It’s been fantastic getting through these, and I’m glad I’m playing them now because I don’t think I’ll have many chances to play old games for the rest of the generation. 2022 definitely feels like the calm before the storm.

6 Likes

“The hidden impact of remote working” This. I think not having that huge studio vibe for sure slowed things down even further. 2022 may be a dry spell, but after seeing their showcase. I’m 100% ok with waiting a little longer to exp. those games in a few months. Plain and simple. Boom Bam

Thanks for posting this. Great read. Should be mandatory reading for anyone complaining about delays or those who make statements about how the pandemic is being used as an excuse.

5 Likes

People who think the pandemic is an excuse definitely thought games make themselves or are made through some magical technology. It’s not like literally almost every aspect of life and work stopped and got intterupted during the pandemic, and game development is… work.

3 Likes

You’re not wrong, but it’s not an uncommon thing (even on this site) for people to say things along the line of “at first, it’s understandable, but this far into it I don’t see how it can still be a problem.” And I even feel like it’s often developers (of non-gaming software) that says it.

As someone who works (well, worked at this point, mostly retired now) in a creative field, it just bothers me when non-creatives are ignorant and flippant about the creative process.

3 Likes

Can’t imagine how frustrating that must be. The world would be such a better place if the impulse of “it can’t be THAT hard” didn’t exist.

1 Like