What happens if the Activision acquisition doesn't go through?

Then Blizzard and Activision will be on shaky ground and their devs will go back to being COD support studio’s. Xbox will be fine but this is pretty much the only long term ability for Activision and Blizzard to survive long term intact.

1 Like

Microsoft isn’t the one that decides how the transaction is viewed. Politicians do. This has been described in detail by actual lawyers repeatedly.

Will it likely pass, yes. But MS isnt in the driver seat on this.

Why act like corporations have no impact on politicians’ views?

1 Like

Who said they don’t? Why act like they are the only entity capable of political influence?

Why act like I didn’t say its probably going to pass?

Yeah and politicians aren’t as narrow minded as gamers. Wow I can’t believe I just said that.

Take this arguement. All the fanboys who argue monopoly when MS is giving them the option to play anywhere including the phones they have in their pocket don’t want to do just that because of their favoritism.

Like let’s be honest to any regular human being they would just say just stream it on your phone or computer but a gamer would throw a tantrum that it’s not on their console of choice.

Court has the final say.

1 Like

That is a myopic view of the situation. Regulators can define the market as anything they want. They can choose specifically to focus on game pass/subscription services and whether moves like Activision are aimed at killing nascent competitors in the crib. This is a far more compelling argument than tying to claim they are monopolizing the gaming market at a macro level. That is why MS is trying to get out in front of it with the third place narrative.

Part of the process will be the FTC talking to MS’ competitors about their view of the deal and how they believe it affects them. Sony could argue to the FTC that they have grand plans for a subscriptions service and that this somehow derails that. Ubisoft could make the argument that this negatively affects Ubisoft +. Is that likely, probably not, but its also entirely possible.

No one here is arguing that it is going to get blocked, or even challenged legally. The core of the discussion has always been simple. Stop pretending that it is a slam dunk.

I want it to pass, you want it to pass, we all want it to pass. Objective reality is that there are obstacles to overcome.

1 Like

@proven I dont get why this topic is worth discussion while asking the same question about Sony and Bungie isn’t. So can this topic be closed too?

7 Likes

theres a bigger question about this than bungie as this is a public company and bungie is private.

on topic the only issue may be myopy, where the purchase power from MS indirectly affects the market. but its a case that would require a serious drill down into the buts and bolts of the industry and ignore pc, mobile and focus exclusively on console and cloud

Is there though? Really?

This is an Xbox forum so why can’t we ?

Bungie being acquired by Sony is not Xbox related. Go talk about it on playstation (reset) era

Hey @proven, did you see that, go close the PS5 thread and Nintendo threads now too. This is an Xbox forum and shouldn’t talk about anything else.

1 Like

So no one questions the market leader expanding their first party studies while also expanding third party exclusive deals, but the moment the third place (correction) the fifth place participant looks to expand their first party is when the questions start? Seems a bit backwards. Discussions should be about both.

8 Likes

Agreed

5th place. They become third once this deal closes.

1 Like

I think the person is talking about Sony and saying why can’t we have a topic about their acquisition not going through

I dont mind numerous topics but can we stop fighting about what thread deserves to be open or not? I closed the Bungie thread because the OP was a single sentence and there was not a good reason for it to exist.