What do you want in State of Decay 3?

A more polished experience. One larger map, with more variation, such as a proper city centre with high-rise buildings. Less noise from NPC’s not in your group.

It’s good, I started a new game with it, it’s a lot less stressful! Here’s what they said about the future plans.

We’re going to look at the feedback and this will help inform a very interesting feature that’s going to launch this fall. This is a stepping stone to something awesome.

I was thinking maybe difficulty sliders.

1 Like

I can tell you what I don’t want. For this game to be a second job like number 2 is

1 Like

Unless they have done another 180 it’s not going to be an MMO.

On stream, 4 years ago, they confirmed the people who actually play the game didn’t want an MMO and just wanted co-op. Unfortunately the source for this is a twitch stream so old the archive has been removed.

I watched the stream live and all I can find now are references to the stream on reddit.

SoD1 is my GOAT video game. I thought SoD2 improved on the formula but wasn’t a massive jump so it didn’t quite knock out the first game.

It’s kind of a bummer that most of the suggestions here would straight up ruin my experience with the game and turn it into another generic zombie game. I had more typed up about specifics, but it was too long so I deleted it all.

What I want: Animals - both enemy animals and communal animals, both support (horses) and morale (cats).

Simulation - a bigger focus on the survival aspects of the game. Specifically the simulation. I don’t want to see zombies spawn in and I want their movements around the map being consistent with massive hordes entering from off map into the region which will change your strategies.

People keep referencing TLoU, but the game I really want them to take inspiration from is Red Dead Redemption 2. Let me see the items I’m picking up, make me see the rucksack I’m gonna be lugging around.

I just want a better polished game. I think they know they need to improve in this but can they do it?

AAA level graphics.

The one thing I want is for you to lead the community again. I swear in SoD 1 I was able to send out scouting parties and the like.

Make that work at a higher level by choosing community members to send out to do jobs, the right fit gets more renown points and better relations. The wrong fit sends the enclaves more hostile.

Would also make me want to build bigger communities to work on being an effective settlement in endgame rather than just the prettiest or best base and then done

2 Likes

Please please please keep the base managment type of deal in the game, it is the #1 thing I love about SoD and I don’t want it removed at all. Just give us a bigger and more polished game, even more base managment would be amazing.

If they can recreate Division style of movement and gun play that would be amazing.

I wrote this before, but it would be great to have separate modes for people who just want to do settlement management and for people who just want to explore/shoot/do bounties. So, if you as settlement leader need some stuff you can put that on the some kind of wanted list for people who are more into action side of the game, to go out and do tasks for you.

• Realistic towns/trading posts.
  • More vertical spaces. Give me a few areas with multiple floors. Let me explore a fully fleshed out office building
  • Make it a Destiny/Division type where it can be a single player game but I can join others games easily to take on missions.
  • Improved gunplay
  • Change up the loot, add more unique items
  • Continue to improve the simulation, I love how mundane some of what I’m doing is.
  • The trailer already seemed to confirm but I want to see a lot of different types of animal infected
  • Less reliance on plague hearts/plague zombies as a large portion of the games challenge
  • Improved human AI understanding. A group shouldn’t be upset with me if I don’t respond in 10 minutes
  • Rain, snow, disaster weather

State of Decay 2 is one of the best games this gen and that was with no funding and the team learning a new engine. I have high hopes SoD3 will be a great game.

2 Likes

I have a feeling state of decay 3 will be a shared world game. Imagine the tension of trying to gather resources knowing another group of survivors could be right around the corner. Are they friend or foe? When state of decay was originally announced the goal was always a mmo. Also if I remember correctly they hired a bunch of arenanet( guild wars) guys

It’s not likely going to be an MMO-like. They said they canned class 4 on stream before the release of SoD2.

Here’s a reddit link talking about that stream specifically. Reddit link.

Sure it’s possible they have since changed their minds again, but they emphasised how much the player feedback didn’t really want that. I would be very surprised if it was a SoT style shared world with open PvP.

Some really fantastic suggestions here guys.

My own -

• They need to balance the permadeath aspect, sometimes it’s too unforgiving. Allow full customization of our own character, allow reloads on death, but permadeath for companions. This strikes a goof balance between attachment to characters and gameplay. The iron man style should be reserved for much higher difficulties, this wont work with a wider (Game Pass) audience.
  • RPG style development of main players and companions. Synergies between characters.
  • Deeper base building.
  • Dynamic storytelling, I think XCOM War of the Chosen had a very cool way of doing this while making each playthrough feel fresh. Have an overarching story, with dynamic elements in the map ie sub bosses, exploration etc
  • Deeper loot mechanics, equippable gear, sets, customisation of weapons and gear.
  • Local fauna, wildlife.
  • Local towns/hubs
  • Dynamic weather system, this would be an amazing feature if they can get it in. Someone even mentioned disaster weather like storms. How cool would that be!
  • Evolving enemies, sub bosses get tougher if they beat you or you run away.
  • Even better customisation of vehicles. Try not to make them such a chore to store items in this time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

More building options. Let me make the ultimate zombie fortress. Also let me fortify more than just a single building, let me build up a small town.

I heard it’s missing dedicated servers. Adding this would be a good idea as well.

Triple A production value.

Maybe a little bit more of a structured story. (I honestly couldn’t tell you a thing that happened in SOD2 despite beating it)

Improved base building.

A lot less jank.

A better Co op experience, in SOD2 it left a lot to be desired (this could’ve be improved in patches for all I know)

Whilst I am losing interest in zombie games, the added zombie animals could maybe shake things up?

Hopefully it is good when it lands.

• Focus on a single story that players can experience with their character.

• Get rid of the whole community management and make it about how your character is helping the community

• The above leads to no more multiple characters being playable like I said it make the story more personal

• SOD2 was supposed to have weather, bring it all in full glory

• Better character animation and connection to the world, upgrade their systems and make it truly AAA experience

• CoOp that is meaningful to both players and not some gimmicky I can play with you

• Cinematics

• Better environment art and assets, leading to a richer story because yes environment helps tell a story, SOD2 was ugly in this department

• Make inventory like RE or Metro

• Make large open set pieces for players to explore and enjoy and stop with the open world crap

Pretty much all of this. If there is anything i don’t want is for the game to get TOO bogged down with telling a narrative. The only thing i would want this game to take from TLOU 2 would be the moment to moment combat. Especially in those moments when you go against hostile human enclaves. In any case, can’t wait for this game!

1 Like

Called it!

The co-op progression to be more seemless for all players.