What do you think is the gamepass surprise Phil talk about?

I appreciate that he may have oversold the Japanese presence at the showcase, but to say he was “excited to show all of the big Japanese games” is just plain wrong.

The full quote was;

“We know we are not Japanese platform company, we know we will have to work to rebuild trust with Japanese creators and we think that happens over time. [We will] continue to listen to what they are looking for and what they need in order to reach that global audience. I’m proud of what we’re gonna show on [July] 23rd and I like our roadmap of working directly with Japanese creators to build great Xbox games. You’ll hear more about that in the future.”

He said he was proud of what they were going to say, and considering they finally announced they were bringing Dragon Quest to Xbox for the first time, and that it was going to be in GamePass, they announced Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis and also Balan Wonderworld, I’m sure he is proud about that. I was also pretty pleased at what they showed.

Whether those games are interesting to you or not is another matter entirely but let’s not put words into his mouth.

5 Likes

That’s fair.

1 Like

I am not one for setting expectations or seeing leaks. In recent times, some of the best moments have been those that were completely unexpected. For example, when the Surface book or the Surface Studio was first shown. I was not expecting those, so when the video started rolling and seeing it first time, it was like “Wow”. So I am going to keep a open mind, avoid spoilers and speculations, and maybe I’ll get a “Wow” moment.

Final fantasy 7 remake confirmed

You don’t like Phil Spencer. We get it.

5 Likes

Ignoring games / publishers info for the moment…

They technically haven’t announced the PC client that lets you stream yet, have they? That’s a pretty major announcement that most people wouldn’t be aware of yet.

Ooblets on game pass. Xbox/W10 exclusive.

M E G A T O N

Stop teasing please… just announce the thing.

1 Like

Nice! I didn’t know about this at all.

It’s always good to know that some surprises are left. But we just have to be patient. This has to be what Shinobi was hunting at.

Shinobi also said that it may not necessarily interest everyone, but for MS and the pub it’s a big deal.

Atlus with Persona 5 releasing right after the announcement!

Just kidding, but would be cool for everyone wanting more Japanese games on Xbox.

2 Likes

I’m thinking Sega. There is probably a lot of niche (Atlus) games they would like to bring over but are reluctant to do so. Gamepass is a good option for just that, especially since MS doesn’t prevent them from releasing on other stores and it helps bolster visibility.

1 Like

You say you’re kidding, but this would be awesome.

2 Likes

I fully agree, despite not being into typical Japanese games anymore, especially JRPG.

We see so many requests for games like this to be on Xbox, I’d love to see this happen.

With Phil and his team constantly working to better Xbox’s relationship with Japanese developers and Publishers I believe it will come true sooner or later.

1 Like

My guess would be Persona 4, Dying Light 2 and/or Tales or Arise. Sega has a a good relationship with Xbox and the last two were shown at the E3 2019.

I’d love it to be Sega, they were my console makers of choice when they were still making hardware and they’re sitting on a treasure trove of IP. Announced alongside a sudden drop of the Yakuza Collection and 6 would be sweet.

Seems like we all want it to be Sega which probably means it won’t be haha

2 Likes

Let’s collectively will this deal into existence!

I just had a thought that this could be WB games. What if MS wasn’t looking to buy the studios outright but instead offered to have AT&T keep ownership while MS just published the games? Every potential buyer of the studios probably wanted the IPs with them. Essentially a middle ground that only MS could realistically offer.

I think it could be 2k… not too big, but big enough.

It’s EA Access