What Camera Perspective Would You Like To See MachineGames' Indiana Jones In?

Quantum Break released in 2016 and we’ll have Hellblade 2 at best in 2023 (7 years, an entire generation), then Indiana Jones, who knows when the Compulsion one will release, not before 2023 at best (and if it’s really an action adventure), IOI project is still in infancy (and we don’t know its genre). I say that they are doing the minimun in the genre considering the size of XGS and the size of the genre itself (considering RTS, they have done more in that genre than actions, with 4 releases in 4 years since 2018), Indy must be a 3rd person game for diversity as you say.

1 Like

If you’re going to ratio popularity then given MP FPS games are the most played - surely Xbox should have far more than just Halo there? If you’re saying that the number of 3rd person action games (and you’re missing Gears and PD probably) isn’t enough then we need loads of FPS MP games.

1 Like

Xbox couldn’t do more before XGS expansion, but now we have a big number of shooters in the pipeline (and no, Gears is no adventure game, it’s a cover shooter and PD is a FPS), while 3rd a/a games are still sparse in the line-up (the only one confirmed 100% is Hellblade), it’s a fact, I don’t see why dispute it.

1 Like

What multiplayer shooter besides Halo is there? Not co-op since we know that PvP is the thing? I get what you’re trying to say but I think what it really comes down to is "I want these types of games’ being wrapped into an argument that doesn’t make sense.

You want a diverse line up and studios to make the games they want to make. That’s the only way you’ll be successful. Thankfully Xbox has realised that and now has a brilliant diverse first party and lets the studios and creative teams decide what they want to make. That’s the way forward - not trying to copy what others do - that has always been a bad move.

1 Like

No point in getting a character as iconic as Indiana Jones and making it first person. Has to be third person IMO.

3 Likes

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

2 Likes

What Indiana Jones film includes large amounts of shooting? I mean he does have a gun and uses it, but the action is primarily hand-to-hand combat, ‘platforming’, and set pieces – many of which have become mainstays of the third person adventure videogame genre like running from the rolling bolder, on-rails minecart sections etc.

It’s actually crazy how much these films influenced this game genre when you think about it.

Hand-to-hand combat is seldom pulled off well in first person, and even when it’s passable is never as good as it can be in third person. Same goes for platforming and the rest of it.

The IP is tailor-made to be a third-person adventure game, given the strong influence the film series had on the genre and the key beats a game needs to hit to really feel like it is an Indie game.

4 Likes

I also get what you are saying, but multiple big PvP shooters from the same publisher can backfire badly (like Titanfall 2 vs Battlefield 1), so it’s not strange that Halo is the only one MS is pushing. Shooters are really the most diverse genre in Xbox portfolio, we have a flavor for every sub-genre.

I repeatedly said that they must not copy Sony 1:1, but they also should answer to market demand and people clearly like Sony type of game even outside their label, considering Fallen Order success and the evergreen Tomb Raider and such. If all the games we were speaking will be 3rd person (Hellblade, Indiana, Compulsion game and IOI game, maybe even Contraband and probably Fable, even if those wouldn’t be action/adventure games), then the line-up for the 3rd person crowd would be more than ok.

2 Likes

1000% third person first and like Emperor’s Tomb a optional first person view for aiming. Unless MG can implement both and have both views feeling amazing.

I want to see the character in front of me, I want to see awesome,realistic animations when he runs, when he climbs, when he uses the whip etc. I want to see realistic clothing physics with the jacket and so on. Or when I throw punches and kicks I want to see Indy do that. This doesn’t all translate well in first person.

While playing Emperor’s Tomb and finishing it it earlier this year it was clear as day to me that the new game really has to be third person. A character like this just begs for it. I mean do we want to see a third person Tomb Raider or Uncharted? Not for me.

And last but not least, it would sure fill that gap of Xbox not having a cinematic third person action adventure like Tomb Raider. This could become a thing that spawns sequels. Xbox has plenty of first person games and variety is key.

2 Likes

3rd person or the license is pointless.

5 Likes

Well, they could still show Indy in cutscenes and have the iconic items, oneliners and such. But yeah, overall you’re right.

Hyperbole galore!

I don’t have a problem since I can enjoy games with a wide variety of cameras and perspectives so it’s whatever for me. I just want it to be a great game, that’s the important part for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Xbox has great studios - just let them make whatever games they want to and lets not worry about perspectives…meh…

1 Like

I voted for third person but I am glad you also made the case for first person. It was well thought out and If it ever came to be first person I wouldn’t be completely disappointed. In fact I would be excited because there is so much potential in doing a game like this in first person.

You brought up Metroid Prime which is in many respects much like an adventure title. There was a good emphasis on platforming and using a hookshot. Those, along with puzzle solving and navigating dangerous paths, is more like an Indiana Jones movie than most first person shooters.

I feel the biggest benefit for third person is stealth combat. I don’t know if this IP is really known for combat. There are definitely action sequences but they’re not straight up shooting escapades a la John Wick. They’re more creative and make use of the environments and involve escape more than overpowering the enemy.

But the biggest reason why I voted for third person is because it’s what’s hot right now. It’s catering to what the market wants and craves even at the expense of gameplay, to an extent. You mentioned it being “filmic” and I think that’s what people want from these blockbuster titles. As much as I love the Uncharted series the gunplay is rather poor. But I liked third person view for traversing the environments and for its platforming. Seeing Drake climbing these beautiful environments as a much different impact than doing it in first person. There’s an emotional impact there, and I think Indiana Jones would benefit from that.

4 Likes

There are already enough 1st person games being created by XGS and with a known character like Indiana Jones, it makes more sense to fully utilize the IP with a 3rd person camera.

I do like the reasons for a 1st person camera though. If they do go with a 1st person perspective, I hope they make strides in grounding the character in the world.

8 Likes

It doesn’t matter to me, because although I’m a fan of the movies, I’m unlikely to play the game because playing as Indy is not appealing to me at all.

I do however hope that the 3rd person folks get their wish on this game, it will tune down the meltdowns a smidge.

2 Likes

I believe all previous Indiana Jones games, you see Indy on the screen. I can’t imagine this will change in the future.

2 Likes

3rd person action adventure. Thats the best most common and logical genre.

If it’s a first person shooter I won’t even bother playing it.

3 Likes

No by all means. If nintendo and Sony are making fantastic 3rd person action adventure adventures. By all means copy and do the same. Your logic is ridiculous.

3rd person action adventure games are popular for a reason. Ms don’t have to make every God damn game a first person game.

1 Like

I hope it’s a 3rd person action adventure. My cynical self thinks it might somehow end up being a first person RPG.

4 Likes