What are your thoughts about Halo Infinite MP going F2P?

I think it’s great but the servers will be absolutely destroyed during the first two weeks, it’ll be even worse than Outriders.

1 Like

Presuming that f2p players will play the same way as purchasing players, it can only be a good thing. If there is some unwritten code of combat ethics that serious Halo players adhere to, which dirty drop-in players would scorn, then you might have trouble, but that seems unlikely.

1 Like

Thank you guys for your answers. Yeah, it will be great for the community. I think Halo could finally reclaim its status of King of multiplayer with that move. It will be interesting to see what modes will be accessible, if buying the game full price will get you some bonuses, cosmetics, season pass, etc. I can’t wait for the info blow out. There still so much we don’t know about the modes, coop, forge, etc. I also hope it will convince some of my old friends to come back to Halo !

Servers will be hammered though…ha ha ! I can’t wait ! :laughing:

4 Likes

I don’t think Outriders used dedicated servers where I believe all Xbox first party do. So that will help some. They will still get hammered though. You are reaching a lot of people on Xbox Cloud and PC with free to play. Which is good for the series.

1 Like

You are right it was peer to peer when you connected with friends but their backend which caused issues was due to authentication which is on the backend and not peer to peer. MS should at least scale their servers for how many Game Pass subs they have haha.

I expect they will and then some. I will bet there will be launch day issues due to so many people jumping in at once

2 Likes

yeah this is almost always the issue that people don’t understand, it’s pretty much like a massive ddos attack but with legit customers lol. Stuff like login authentication and server checks are usually what goes first it seems.

1 Like

Happens to CoD every year lol.

2 Likes

I’ll never forget the Diablo 3 launch :joy:

1 Like

And every update and end of season…tonight will be one of those days… :rofl:

1 Like

It’s going to be great. Most games MP games don’t have all the functionality that a full packaged Halo MP experience brings.

1 Like

I have zero idea of how it’s going to work and I’m interested in how it will be rolled out.

I see free to play working well with games that focus on one style of gameplay. CS:GO & Valorant are competitive shooters that don’t feature a potpourri of gametypes, for example. Fortnite and Apex are BR games.

But Halo can be anything and it’s been made into anything through Forge. Which for the player is a pretty good deal. We are getting a whole lot for free here.

So I’m assuming that all decisions in regards to balance will be determined on the main Team Deathmatch game type. And from there whatever balance they achieve with vehicles, weapons and power-ups will be felt in other game types like big team battle or CTF and so on.

The other big issue that I’m interested to see how they tackle is how they will keep the game fresh going forward. All of these FTP titles are competing for our time, and the “season” model is one way to interject new life into the game every few months.

But with these include things like new maps? I mean if there was a hypothetical season 2 that had a map from Halo 3 and Halo 2 in it, I’d look forward to it and would keep playing through season 2. The skins don’t excite me that much for Halo, but being able to play new maps would.

So anyways my thoughts are basically: “how will this look like?”. I don’t even understand the monetization model, because you’re not really buying skins like in Fortnite. Everything is apparently unlockable through gameplay. There was a period of time the word microtransaction was a bad word (a reputation that was warranted for games that you’ve already paid full price for) but I don’t think it has the same perception with these FTP games and I feel like the monetization model for Infinite won’t really make sense. But hey I really don’t know anything about it and I’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like

I think it’s going to be great. The player population will be enormous and for many it will be their first Halo game.

I think 343 has done a fantastic job in recent years with their support for the MCC and in many ways I think they are using that platform as a “test” for how they are going to expand and support Infinite once it releases.

1 Like

I really hope they are expecting to have 2 million or more on concurrently during launch weekend. Their servers need to be ready for it.

1 Like

Smart decision if the game ends up blowing expectations away.