What are your expectations for Halo Infinite post delay?

Doom Eternal is the real next gen Halo. My God, imagine if the visual fidelity of Halo Infinite was like that.

I expect it will look better but still a far cry from that first in engine. Will probably look nicer in interiors. Raytracing should be added.

In terms of gameplay it is shaping up nicely. Multiplayer should be great. I’m frankly expecting the story to be a shitshow but the characters and fanservice to make up for it, but may be wrong as Staten has been brought in. Like, I don’t see how they can do Banished and still continue with that stupid AI uprising plot from Halo 5. Tbh, if this wasn’t a platform game I would just want them to tell a grounded low-stakes story but I don’t think we’re getting one. Brohammer and the new villain have great writing though.

Outside of the bad screenshots making the web (which can be done in any game), I thought the game looked great visually. There are numerous sites doing comparisons of the character models with Halo 5, and they look much better in Halo Infinite.

I think the delay was for finishing the game due to COVID, not because some people didn’t like “Craig”. They knew exactly what the game looked like in the demo when they released it. Even play testers have seen it. If they thought it didn’t look good, they wouldn’t have staged it the way they did.

If they released that exact game next month, I know I would probably love it.

I don’t expect a big difference in terms graphics, and I’m okay with that. They looked pretty good to me. There is a clear art style in play here that calls back to CE. Just keep that high frame rate and resolution and I can accept some compromises.

I expect a much higher level of polish than what we saw in the July demo. No more pop in or culling issues. I would love to see ray tracing on day one.

Here’s hoping Ray tracing probably will help

1 Like

I think it will. Just polish what’s there and add ray tracing. That’s all I’m expecting.

1 Like

Yea

The gameplay looked fun as hell. It just needed some graphical polish, fix LOD and pop in and add ray tracing to fix the bland lighting and it will look great

word to the mutha

1 Like

What I expect:

• Better lighting
  • Better textures
  • Content complete

What I hope:

• Some form of ray tracing at game’s launch
  • Robust number of arena and big team battle maps
  • Series X/S has design differences in the campaign compared to Xbox One

Talking to my dev buddy who does graphics, he thought a lot of what we saw were placeholder textures. I fully expect to see detailed textures and some implementation of ray tracing. I don’t expect to see visuals that will shock and awe us mostly due to the art style. In order to keep the art style consistent, I doubt we’ll see use of photogrammetry or anything that will look close to realistic. It’ll maintain a hyper-realistic cartoonish look but with more detail than what we saw previously. 343 will do that because despite those types of visuals having less impact in the moment, they hold up better over time and serve nostalgia to long-time fans. I think next time we see it, we’ll also get a glimpse of some pretty sky-boxes that the Halo franchise is known for.

Ray tracing, as suggested in the DF video, is super demanding. I expect measured use of it because 60fps in a wide world is the priority. Theoretically a more robust implementation may be possible simply because the base geometry needs to run on a OG Xbox One however…I hope they use that extra headroom to improve physics and increase enemy count in the Series X version. Halo has always been about gameplay over graphics. I hope that priority doesn’t change based on the feedback.

Also I expect this extra time to mean a robust number of Arena and Big Team Battle maps. Halo 5 was light out the gate. Supposedly multiplayer is ahead of the campaign. I wonder if they’ll use that time for more maps or for whatever new mode they were considering. My preference is to knock it out of the park with the Halo foundation and bring in the new game modes secondary.

1000000% agree with you MS needs to step up their game by really huge margin on 1st party quality. We don’t want rushed games anymore riddled of bugs etc we want ultra high top tier polished quality flagship 1st party output.

1 Like

I just hope they take this opportunity to make sure the game is ultra polished when it finally releases. They can’t afford another slip up.

1 Like

The problem with the DF video and their talk about ray tracing is simple - the implementation of ray tracing at 4K 60 - whether native 4K or not is not going to fix the lighting issue entirely because its not like you can have full path RT. So the ray tracing implementation I suspect will be very limited, perhaps to reflections and shadows maybe? Its not going to be this magic bullet and I still don’t think the game will launch with it, whether that is early or late next year.

Spring release. 4K60 with Ray Tracing. 20 hour+ campaign. 120fps multiplayer (at 1080p)

50 hour campaign.

The visuals did not really bother me, they are good enough, as long as a game does not have distracting jaggies or a unstable framerate iam not bothered.

Yup. If I’m honest my expectations of 343 are on the dumpster. The Halo brand is great and has so much life. I just don’t have any faith in 343 being it’s stewards.

Lmao no

1 Like

I would love it if MS gives everyone a free copy of Halo CE to makeup for the delay.

A more focused slice of gameplay. The gameplay they showed was sloppy, I was rewatching it yesterday and it looks thrown together. Iirc they said that was old footage, which makes them showing it even more baffling.

The graphics if they can reach the look of that trailer when the chief is rebooted that will suit me fine.

Tbh they may as well delay it until Septemberish they have a bit more breathing room now. And polish that game so there are no excuses at all for the next showing.