Video Game Market Analysis Thread

Yep.

The estimate numbers for Xbox are usually in line with the actual figures.

Everyone used to mock Vgcharts for its estimates during the Xbox One days but they ended up being pretty much dead accurate once MS confirmed the numbers last year.

Every time new Xbox numbers come out from “analysts” the number decreases for consoles sold.

1 Like

This is sold, not shipped.

If it was shipped, PS5 would be at 33M + and Xbox at 20M.

But we dont know anything, only its outselling the 360

1 Like

People said this during the Xbox One era but they were extremely accurate with their estimates.

The companies who give out these industry estimates do this for a living. They’re never going to be 100% accurate but they’ll be right in that ball figure. Might be off the scent by a million or 2 at best.

Around 19m sounds about right. Series x stock has been awful past 12 months.

If series x had better stock even with 0 exlcusives sells 22 to 23 mil.

Having said that. Ps5 rumoured to be only 53 47 with xbox in NA is bad news for sony honestly. Feel like with enough stock series x would decimate ps5 in Na. Especially with what gamepass is cooking this half.

2 Likes

I don’t know if the numbers are trustworthy, but if true I’m kinda shocked how close the numbers are given how disastrous 2022 was for Xbox first party (AAA specifically), mixed in with how strong Sony’s first party output was with GOW, Horizon: FW and GT7.

Makes you wonder how much closer the numbers would have been if Redfall and Starfield would have hit their initial dates.

It would still be the same.

This is a stock issue for Xbox, not a demand issue.

3 Likes

Microsoft needs to partner with more Japanese studios/publishers to get exclusive games. Microsoft needs to be more aggressive against Sony, because gamepass & hardware features, aren’t cutting it anymore.

Xbox One, at this point, had sold 18-19 million consoles.

PS5 was badly supply constrained in the beginning of the year up until summer. This is when you saw MS boasting In their financial reports about “gaining market share over competitors for 2 quarters.”

The fact that Xbox could only make up 1.3% while PS5 had no stock is terrible.

By now with PS5 stock being available that 1.3% has vanished.

if Xbox Series is not able to surpass Xbox One despite (1) Game Pass, (2) buying Zenimax, (3) buying 13 additional studios, (4) Spending $10 billion in the division, (5) and selling a $229 console, how is that respectable?

Aaron Greenberg implied that Xbox was at almost 14 million by April 2022

But let’s assume he was right. What does that mean then?

It means that since April 2022, Microsoft has only sold 4.5 million consoles in 8 months? That means: they are averaging 0.5 million consoles per month or1.5 million consoles per quarter or6 million consoles per year?So Xbox is pacing to sell 6 million consoles per year. And Sony is pacing to sell 6.2 million consoles this quarter or 24 million consoles this year. That’s a ratio of 4:1 in favor of PS5.

HOW exactly is that good?

Regarding these points:

1. Game Pass continues to grow, as they have always highlighted in their financial results.
  2. Zenimax has yet to release its big games on Xbox. The first will be Starfield and Redfall. I’m not counting Hi-Fi Rush because was a shadow drop with no marketing, and unfortunately, Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo were PS5 timed exclusives with deals to be fulfilled.
  3. Developers like inXile and Obsidian were acquired when they were still developing for other publishers. Once their deals ended, they began developing for Xbox.
  4. On this point, I don’t know what you’re talking about.
  5. Series S served to keep sales stable, because without that console sales would have been even worse than 18.5 million. So Microsoft absolutely must increase the production of Series X and above all do REAL marketing when the availability will be increased and Starfield will arrive.
2 Likes

I’d argue that being on par in sales at this time with the Xbox One is a victory. The brand died, died, in a lot of markets thanks to the Xbox One. For the Series consoles to do this good, is pretty amazing considering that uphill battle.

This is of course disregarding the fact that Xbox is now PC and cloud as well.

4 Likes

I think Xbox will close the gap. Hellblade 2, Avowed, Fable, Starfield. Are all system seller. I just hope all of them games release before 2025 and Xbox get a steady stream of release, it will really help closed the gap.

1 Like

Occams’s Razor: the analysts are wrong.

5 Likes

Xbox Series S/X - 18.5 million sold to date(estimated)

1 Like

Xbox one had a lot of games more exclusives than series at this point. No gamepass but market was different. Series is also heavily supply constrained. Xbox one wasnt. Actuslly xbox one sold pretty well first 2 years. Its the middle and end of gen it slowed down. I expect series xs to sell more than xbox one at this point next year.

1 Like

Yeah the brand took a big big hit in the Xbox One days in terms of popularity and all I am seeing is more and more people buying Series consoles here when this was definitely not the case last gen…Xbox One was really an unwanted product here. I don’t think the Series consoles have reached 360 levels of success/sales here but Xbox must be in a much better state than last gen.

That being said and with knowing very well that this is not a sprint but a marathon SX availability must improve, not having your product available on the market is not good.

Really happy seeing a masterpiece like DSR doing well! :partying_face:

1 Like

Famitsu Software Sales (physical only)

01./00. [NSW] Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 189.031 / NEW

02./00. [NSW] Octopath Traveler II (Square Enix) {2023.02.24} (¥7.091) - 53.995 / NEW

03./00. [PS4] Like a Dragon: Ishin! (Sega) {2023.02.22} (¥6.990) - 35.897 / NEW

04./00. [PS5] Like a Dragon: Ishin! (Sega) {2023.02.22} (¥6.990) - 31.439 / NEW

05./03. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 23.703 / 4.883.806 (+0%)

06./01. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy # (WB Games) {2023.02.10} (¥8.980) - 21.932 / 126.086 (-41%)

07./05. [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 14.858 / 3.904.000 (+15%)

08./00. [PS5] Octopath Traveler II (Square Enix) {2023.02.24} (¥7.091) - 14.422 / NEW

09./00. [NSW] Ark: Survival Evolved (Spike Chunsoft) {2023.02.24} (¥3.800) - 13.200 / NEW

10./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 10.159 / 5.173.365 (+10%)

Hardware Sales

PlayStation 5 – 91.729 (2.978.700)

Switch – 61.384 (28.373.191)

PlayStation 4 – 1.646 (9.430.248)

Xbox Series X|S – 727(430.221)

3DS – 72 (24.598.806)

We got lot’s of new software to talk about this week.

Kirby takes the crown. I’d have bought this myself but too much other games came out around it.

As expected, Octopath 2 just isn’t selling much on Playstation. The PS4 version didn’t even enter the top 10. We’ll see where it landed tonight in the top 30, but it will be below 10k. This is a very wide difference. I will also throw a guess out there and say that this is likely true worldwide as well. The Playstation version feels like a “myth” to me, I’ve not seen… well, anyone who bought this version. Most bought on Switch and some bought on PC. I expect at least 75% of the sales will be from Switch.

It’s also a drop off from Octopath 1, which opened like this:

[NSW] *Octopath Traveler ( 07/13/18) – 110,111

Octopath 1 also went on to sell 3 million, with the majority of sales also coming from Switch

I do not see Octopath 2 selling this much as the novelty of HD2D has worn off and the marketing was not nearly as strong as the first one had major Nintendo marketing, even appearing at the Switch pre-launch showcase event in Jan 2017.

I am at least seeing enough positive word of mouth for OT2 that I think it will be a success, though that PS version, I really don’t know, it’s just not popular there I think. I do also think MS will swallow their pride and pay for an Xbox/GP port.

Yakuza sold about equal on PS4 and 5 which is uncommon. I find it funny that this game is on PS4 at all because the original Yakuza Ishin is on PS4, so it’s a remaster of a game on the same platform. Sales in Japan for this were probably a bit lower than usual with the original game still being cheap and available.

Hogwarts stayed in the Top 10 for the 3rd week in a row. Basically unheard of for PS5 software. I think it will be gone next week though but still be in the top 30. Makes me wonder how the Switch version will sell in Japan, it’s clearly a massive IP there too.

One last little mention, it looks like Ark Survival Evolved got a physical version published by Spike Chunsoft. Spike sometimes publishes Western games in Japan like this.

For hardware the PS5 continues it’s hot streak. Will pass 3 million next week. Switch remains lower than it used to be but is expected for a console this old, actually the sales are great for such an old device.

Xbox, well, it is what it is. Series S is fully available, Series X Forza bundle is somewhat available.

3 Likes

Hmm…If only a service that has people talking could help awareness.

Oh well.

Where Octopath 2 compares to other HD2D games

1. [NSW] Triangle Strategy , 03/04/22) – 86,298

(it is below this, TS is a more niche genre as well. But it had better marketing from Nintendo as an exclusive)

1. [NSW] LIVE A LIVE ( 71,137)

It is ballparking this, about a bit above it once we have OT2 PS4 numbers.

The next HD2D game should be Dragon Quest 3 HD which I think will cross 1M sales physically in Japan alone. Never, ever underestimate DQ in Japan lol.

1 Like

Anything on VR2?