Video Game Market Analysis Thread

Does cyberpunk run well on steam deck?? Doesnt seem like a game id touch on steam deck

There were quite a lot of new game releases for Japan this week!

1. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 157,348 / 2,900,483
  2. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki II – CRIMSON SiN – 36,261 / NEW
  3. [PS4] Valkyrie Elysium – 23,295 / NEW
  4. [PS4] FIFA 23 – 21,721 / NEW
  5. [PS5] Valkyrie Elysium – 17,067 / NEW
  6. [NSW] Dragon Quest X Offline – 14,484 / 166,874
  7. [PS5] The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki II – CRIMSON SiN – 14,446 / NEW
  8. [NSW] FIFA 22 Legacy Edition – 11,783 / NEW
  9. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival – 8,911 / 39,996
  10. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 8,126 / 4,855,158

Hardware Sales

Switch – 70.385 (26.363.478)

PlayStation 5 – 18.076 (1.973.909)

Xbox Series X|S – 13.064 (363.491)

3DS – 27 (24.596.902)

PlayStation 4 – 14 (9.395.605)

Xbox also pulling in another fantastic number. 9.6k were Series S, 3.4k were Series X

3 Likes

Damn, those software sales on Playstation are so so bad. PS4 position is surprisingly strong though. I wonder if that’s the reason there are still crossgen games.

Yep that’s the exact reason. PS5 software sales in Japan… There’s no pretty way to say it; They’re terrible. That’s why PS4 versions are “here to stay” for JP games (like Like a Dragon 8 launching on PS4 in 2024). But the problem there is, PS4 software sales are declining too, and PS5 isn’t making up the difference. Only Switch software is seeing continued upwards growth.

I see Kuro no Kiseki II sold about 50k… Which is what Kuro 1 sold last year, and Falcom publicly admitted that the game underperformed and that they feel that the PS market is “dull”. Their “quick fix” solution while they internally try to fit the Switch into their development pipeline was to give Kuro II a MUCH bigger marketing campaign, but it looks like it didn’t help much if the sales remained equal… Well, at least they didn’t drop!

Valkyrie Elysium… Even though I want to try it when it’s on PC, I don’t think reception has been good. Amazon JP reviews are low. This number is actually higher than I thought it’d be.

Interesting…

NA

• 2 Take-Two
  • 2 EA
  • 1 Sony
  • 1 CD Projekt Red
  • 1 Gameloft

EU

• 2 Take-Two
  • 1 EA
  • 1 Sony
  • 1 CD Projekt Red
  • 1 Ubisoft
  • 1 Gameloft

Personally I think Take-Two will be the next ‘big’ acquisition, especially now they own Zynga.

I wonder who will acquire it then. Tencent? But I recall Tencent had like 30b or something in cash (granted it can borrow more but I think chinese yuan is also losing value right now).

I don’t tend to take notice of the software sales in Japan as they’re physical only. Especially not for PS4/Xbox. Switch still has strong physical because of how the system is designed. Digital has a huge presence on those other consoles.

Until we can merge or get Digital game sales data from Japan…by the week it becomes more irrelevant. Doesn’t tell us the whole picture.

1 Like

Fifa selling more than Madden in US? lol

Fifa dropped last week ago.

Madden dropped 2 months ago for context.

1 Like

Madden hasn’t been helped by the fact that even NFL players were publicly shitting on it this year.

Thats true but even still…MAdden is not that old. FIFA only came out for 3 days in September and MAdden had the entirety of September

American Football and Soccer aren’t close in US in terms of popularity…but you wouldn’t notice that if you looked at Sales because FIFA is way too close to Madden even in NA alone.

Mind you…MAdden has been gutter trash as a game compared to FIFA for half a decade now so maybe people don’t give a shit about playing madden anymore and just play the old ones

I think you’re underselling the popularity of Fifa in America.

The game sells like crazy here.

In Japan, digital is growing, yes, but it’s not at the point where it’s huge enough that PS software sales are actually pretty good behind the scenes. We have many PS centric developers admitting that PS is in a bad spot in Japan:

(Part of a reason Bridget came to GG Strive was to help increase “sluggish” sales in Japan)

(Falcom acknowledges Kuro no Kiseki underperforming sales. Cites “dull Playstation market” as a factor)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/riit0x/kondo_recognizes_that_kuro_no_kiseki_sales_were/

(Capcom thinking about how they will tackle the Japanese market (perhaps more MH Rise-like releases?), says Switch is “90%” of the market there)

Remind me of Wo Long interview about Xbox is growing in Japan but Switch is king. That’s an understatement.

1 Like

Honestly I think we are reaching the point where the question is not really supply, but how many people can afford these consoles. Inflation is inevitably going to reduce people’s purchasing power.

I don’t think we are in a situation where people want but can’t buy a console. Yet at least. I even doubt that we will reach such situation anytime soon.

I agree… and yet I can imagine a scenario where the price gets too high for a PS5 for some people. Console + 70 game + 70 controller +tax … forced bundles are getting expensive and we are 2 years into the PS5 generation so gamers willing to pay a premium probably already have a PS5 at this point.

At least with Xbox they have the all access payment plan so that might be something people on a tight budget can use.

Yeah. The 1-2 punch of a Series X via All Access or Series S coupled with Game Pass is a hell of a value proposition compared to anything Sony is offering.

A low cost point of entry like that is getting more and more important every day. I’ll be curious to see if Sony is going to do something about that.

I know they can’t (easily) roll out a Series S equivalent, but they could do an All Access thing if they wanted. Although I suppose as long as they have a hard time keeping the PS5 in stock, there’s no point in such a program for them. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one in a year or so though.

1 Like