Video Game Market Analysis Thread

The former. Series X is hard to produce.

1 Like

I think they are giving them more Series S’s because MS doesn’t get a lot of shelf space for physical games in stores, so why not focus on the digital console? I’d imagine most of the Xbox fanbase in Japan is all digital just simply by nature of not having access to the physical games.

1 Like

??? lol

The Series S leaked entirely before the official Sony PS5 product launch announcement. This afforded Sony the opportunity to adjust their launch product prices. In addition to that, the PS5 product breakdown during launch month was under 10% DigitalEditions at most stores and only peaked as high as 15%. Sony was not making nor shipping the PS5 DE in any sizable quantities.

4 Likes

There was also very many credible leaks about much lower priced nextgen xbox years before. The digitaledition does seem like a reactionary product.

3 Likes

That sounds cult worthy but okay lol.

Having a digital SKU is beneficial for them because Nintendo/PS and MS all get more revenue from the digital store.

Where MS was a genius in this vs where PS failed to account for was the size of chips required for the Series S vs the PS5 DE hence the severe disparity in each SKU being made.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that Sony put together the DE in reaction to the Series S, actually I think they may have been going diskless only and then added the disk version after, considering how tacked on the disk drive appears to be on the PS5. Also Sony has precedent creating low volume cheaper versions of their consoles like with the PS3. I think it was the cheaper 20GB version that might as well not existed.

Not they didnt. Doubt sony even knew about it.

Also gamepass makes series s more appealing. Who in the rigt mind would commit to digital only on a system that charges 70 bucks for their 1st party games. Crazy. At least with physical i can trade sell back games

Okay, perhaps you’re right, but the pricing could be debatable as “reactionary” to Series S. It’s just funny that PS5 DE stock is very low in compare, like they made it as limited edition. Series S was the right product for the idea of “starter kit.” Let’s face it, we’re more or less minority of believing what the gamers want and that would be our selfish desire. We hate CoD, best selling game franchise. We hate Fortnite, huge money gathering. The list goes on.

It’s likely the same case right now with “Xbox is doom with no first party” yet it’s doing damn good even with chip shortage. If anything, it’s a blessing in disguise and only made a point against haters that the platform is in fine shape.

1 Like

My understanding was that the ps5DE stock was and is so low is because they take a hefty hit on selling it so they would rather sell the 500$ ps5. And with the whole stock shortage selling everything instantly it makes busines sense to focus on the 500$ device.

1 Like

Definitely going to pass the og Xbox in Japan soon.

So they haven’t updated the Ps5DE with the same components as they did the Ps5? Since they are already making a profit(or was that breaking even?) on the disc version, wouldn’t updating the digital version with the cheaper cooling help bring the cost down?

Cutting out a $10-$15 BluRay drive does not account for the $100 retail price delta between the models. They still have another $85 cost savings to account for somehow. Yes, they make up some of that in direct digital sales instead of second hand physical sales, but that is a big hill to climb. Thats why its such a phantom product.

I was thinking more of the money they saved by going with less efficient cooling for the current ps5 model. But I guess without knowing how much that would actually save them per console we can’t really estimate the price for the PS5de.

1 Like

Right which is why I focused on the price delta that we do know about. The BOM only differs by the $10-$15 BluRay drive and maybe pennies on the plastic molding.

The heatsink revision on the main console had posts of around $1-$2 (“a couple bucks”) savings if I remember correctly from discussions then. But there wasnt anything absolute posted.

But i thought its to try and gourge…i mean milk…i mean attain more digital content from users which makes more in the long run.

But being serious … buying a ps5 DE and subbing to that premium tier for a year isnt a half bad deal if you dont care about day1 releases. Im lookign to buy a ps5 when they are available but im never going to touch a DE. Because i earely buy day 1 60 dollar games and when i do theyre ohysical…

2 Likes

Such a shame to see SE rewarded for their bad quality PC release.

1 Like

Weekly sales numbers, taken from @Paxton in the clustermess general thread:

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. Switch OLED Model – 22,860 (1,899,156)
  2. Switch – 19,907 (18,399,758)
  3. Switch Lite – 7,638 (4,761,895)
  4. Xbox Series S – 3,423 (130,076)
  5. Xbox Series X – 3,272 (108,983)
  6. PlayStation 5 – 2,371 (1,451,795)
  7. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 664 (242,208)
  8. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 215 (1,187,058)
  9. PlayStation 4 – 18 (7,819,701)
2 Likes