Video Game Market Analysis Thread

No doubt in who is providing a better service for the consumer

I was commenting from the market perspective and what is the situation right now

Xbox didn’t introduce Game Pass day 1 because of the market situation. Microsoft were market leader when they introduced Office 365. Xbox is just following corporate strategy and goals.

1 Like

We get news of USA’s numbers on Friday right ?

Yeah its a fallacy that Xbox only started Game Pass because they were losing. Subscription services follows what Microsoft has been transitioning to for a while. It lines up with their overall strategy.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t go that far. Phil had to fight his own team and MS themselves to implement Gamepass and didn’t truly get MS’s backing until Sayta bought in.

People at Xbox and MS have said this would of never happened if Phil wasn’t at the helm of it.

The more likely answer is that it’s a mixture of both. Phil knew Xbox’s name was in the mud from the moment the X1 launched and knew he needed a market disrupter to keep Xbox’s name in the fight thus Gamepass became a thing.

It being a subscription service and Phil smartly tying it to Azure cloud/subscriptions only made that much easier for Sayta to fully buy in.

Game Pass was in the planning stage during the 360 gen. But digital was still young and underdeveloped. I dont remember exactly when, but Games on Demand Day1 happend very late in the 360 life cycle. And we all know what happend to digital when Xbox One launched. Such a initiative like Game Pass needs lots of engineering (these people were occupied with other stuff in the first years of Xbox One) and also buy in from other publishers. I imagine after the awful launch of Xbox One publishers were hesitant to trust Xbox digital plans.

It is undeniable that whatever we have right now had its foundation in earlier years. Tying it to Azure was a natural and brilliant thing at the same time.

Xbox One was the console with the features that arrived too early. The whole FUD with sharing disks by PS4 would not work at all these days because with 70%+ on PS and 90%+ on Xbox for digital almost nobody shares disks anymore.

1 Like

Phil had to fight for them to invest more in Xbox, not for gamepass… since the whole company was already following that model.

3 Likes

Microsoft’s Videogame Boss and the Long Battle to Reinvent the Company - WSJ

Good sign for the gaming industry.

4 Likes

Not necessarily. The prevailing belief was the industry was going to experience a bit of a rebound from the pandemic boom. It remains to be seen if this is what is happening, or if there is a genuine decrease in consumer spending when you adjust the pandemic effect.

Did you actually read the article you posted?

Didn’t they have over 50m PS+ subs 2 years ago?

Also I love how they ignore the PSnow subs. Think it was around 5 million last time. Which is pretty pitiful considering the 120m+ install base.

No I think it was 48 or around those numbers.

Now is an absolute failure that’s irrefutable lol

Sony PS Now had 2.2 million subscribers at end of March 2020. They had 3.2 Million at end of March 2021. This is the highest and most recent number I can find reported.

Sony PS+ had 41.5 million subscribers at end of March 2020. They had 47.6 million at end of March 2021. They had 46.3 million at end of June 2021. So that was a loss of 1.3 million then…

1 Like

Cross Konami off the acquisition list, they aren’t for sale. Making so much more money off this stuff than AAA games.

Also funny that people still think they’re just a pachinko company nowadays.

2 Likes

Once again people living in a bubble. From a pure financial perspective, Konami ditching AAA development was the best thing they could have done.

People wants to live in fantasy land.

4 Likes