Video Game Market Analysis Thread

There’s always going to be ammo regardless of if they announce console sales numbers or not. It would just be something else. For me, it’s showing confidence in your product regardless of if it’s first, second or third place. Considering what last generation was for Microsoft and Xbox, they’re not expected to be #1 or even #2. All that is expected is for them to be better than last generation which thus far, they have been and should continue throughout the generation.

As for PC/mobile, mobile isn’t going to take away console gamers as it’s more of a compliment to the consoles than anything and those who play mobile on a consistent basis aren’t playing console games to begin with. As for PC, the turnover rate is small because of the cost investment of PC gaming and just having to deal with all the bullshit in order to play a game, vast majority of console gamers aren’t dropping consoles.

I mean I guess so lol.

After they came out and said “console sales don’t matter, we’re not releasing numbers anymore” it would be a really bad look to all of sudden start releasing them again because now they’re doing well.

We don’t need sales figures to know they’re doing well. The stock selling out the last 18 months gives us all we need, let alone the financial statements.

3 Likes

It’s a new generation. What they did last generation has nothing to do with what they’re doing now. It’s fresh clean slate. Nothing wrong with giving out sales numbers. Besides, you can tout player numbers when the vast majority of them are on consoles to begin with which is why it’s important.

XSX/PS5 stock selling out is because they’re so damn limited. If there was no pandemic and everything was “normal”, neither console would be selling out because stores would have plenty of inventory.

Yes but Xbox cares most about MAU’s and GamePass subs, not individual consoles sold. If they start reporting on sales than they are not focusing on what they claim to care about.

3 Likes

Exactly. When you have three pillars (consoles, PC, mobile/cloud) supporting your product (Xbox Game Pass) it would be incredibly weird to focus on hardware sales for one of those entry points as the measure of success. They have moved past that quite some time ago, and it’s honestly a bit strange how many people haven’t realised this yet.

Nintendo is stuck in the olden ways, PlayStation have one foot firmly placed in the past and are dipping their toes into the future whilst Xbox has allready taken off.

3 Likes

Why not care about all three? If Microsoft doesn’t sell consoles, their Game Pass numbers would be lower which in turn, means that their player counts would be lower. To me, it’s all interconnected.

Besides, Microsoft is doing great and excluding a few games, their studios haven’t even started their output for the generation which is only going to make Xbox better and in turn, sell more consoles which will equal more Game Pass subscriptions and higher player counts.

Microsoft will never release Xbox hardware figures again even if they are comfortably in the lead. Just like Office and other subscriptions, Microsoft will only ever report Game Pass numbers.

4 Likes

Not sure if I have the numbers wrong, but it appears the physical game attach rate for both the PS5 and Xbox are about the same. This is even with a higher percentage of the Xbox consoles being digital only.

I’m not so sure they’re there yet. The vast majority of games available for xbox do not go on game pass, so to say that game pass is their product, rather than the xbox system and games as a whole, seems premature.

The more Xboxes get sold the more third party games whose publishers do not want on game pass also come to xbox.

7 Likes

MS called, they want US back.

2 Likes

It’s weird to see how much demand there is for the elite controller

4 Likes

Not lying there. I said at the start of this gen that I think the US market will be the most competitive market and I actually think Xbox will outsell PlayStation in the end.

What people need to realise is that even with the Xbox One, Xbox sales didn’t collapse like in other markets, and it actually remained somewhat competitive with PlayStation. So with Xbox on an upwards climb, I can only see Xbox sales increasing in the US.

4 Likes

So it looks like Xbox sold at least 433k according to this from 2011 the 360 sales

8 Likes

Yeah I think they have a real chance to “win” in the US. Even here, where the Xbox sales did collapse along with the brand pretty much, they sell great (Series X) and if they only had more units it would be closer here too.

1 Like

Good observation.

It is a great controller, even though you can get unlucky to get a faulty one. I can’t wait for the third iteration.

1 Like

It’s more about the price, it shows that there is for sure a big market for high end accessories, I think MS should do some more premium stuff. Would be kinda cool to see something like a premium sound bar that has some of their cool audio tech.

1 Like

Its about time for an Elite 3 right?

1 Like