Update 2: Walmart says it’s partnering with Microsoft on a TikTok deal

What the heck is this insane price tag holy moly I mean if they are buying the whole of Tiktok this price makes sense but still is Microsoft willing to pay such a price for this app ?

Maybe I am just old, but I don’t understand how tiktok is worth so much…

The only times I’ve ever seen it pop up, is the odd really cringey short video clips online, what makes it so valuable?

Or what makes Microsoft interested in it?

Can it even compete with stuff like YouTube, Instagram & Facebook, or am I completely wrong about what the app actually is?

User data, advertisement space, influencing the most receptive age group (the youth), traffic, and so on. Keep in mind Facebook holds some of the biggest social platforms (Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp). Twitter isn’t realistically on sale. So someone wanting to buy a spot in this business gets a solid one with TikTok, though it’s hard to say how sustained its presence will be. Snapchat also seemed to be the next big thing but it went nowhere compared to the giants ultimately.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response. So essentially it could be a bad purchase? I just think it can’t be cheap to run/operate tiktok. It seems insanely expensive.

1 Like

Facebook is jumping on the opportunity head first.

1 Like

This will go down as their biggest aquisition that has failed yet. I think they ‘only’ paid $7 billion for Nokia.

Yeaaaahh, if it’s anywhere close to 40 billion (or hell, even 20), this sounds like a bad idea.

Tik Tok is huge, yes, but there’s no guarantee it won’t be overtaken by the next big thing.

1 Like

Just watched Fox Business and Microsoft is looking for investors from outside and plans are going around to buy the whole Tiktok business

1 Like

Not worth that much money. Don’t do it.

2 Likes

They’ve been getting beat over the head with plagiarism complaints because let’s be honest, they straight lifted TikTok.

That is too much of a gamble no way they will buy this. How much cash does MS actually have as of right now?

137 billion USD cash in hand

This is about the sheer amount of data they’ll have access to. It’s not just letting TikTok continue to operate and grow and the revenue from that, it’s about the tens of millions of touches the app sees and how they can utilize the video and user interaction to continue to improve their services.

1 Like

!

The 100 billion dollars price Tag makes sense now I think they will pull out of this deal if they don’t get the whole Tiktok or atleast 50 percent of Tiktok operations worldwide

Buying the entire thing would make much more sense… but that would be so costly. Like, if I were a Microsoft shareholder… would I want MS to spend 40-100 billion on a dancing video app for teenagers?

3 Likes

Yes !! But I think China will block Tiktok Selling itself

Tik Tok is the largest social media platform in the world it’s more than a dancing app lol

1 Like

Whew… that’s a lot of money, but at the same time that’s a LOT of users.

It’s also an app where kids mimic scenes with silly voices, I’ve seen them pesky adverts for the app :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly I feel like a dinosaur whenever I jump into this tiktok thread and I’m only 29!

Back in my day, it was all about MySpace, till facebook killed it. (does MySpace still exist I wonder)

Microsoft probably has 100 billion in an offshore account somewhere that they can’t even bring back without getting taxed to death. OPEN THE WARCHEST.

1 Like