The gaming sector is ripe for merger and acquisitions, many studios with multiple offers according to Brad Sams

I’d be fine with that. Nintendo is a good fit for platinum.

1 Like

I’d say Nintendo or Square make the most sense.

I think Platinum either needs to grow in size or reduce how many projects they’re working on at once. Not sure if I’ve seen so many delays, cancellations, terminated partnerships, or dead silence on projects from another studio ever.

1 Like

Nier is something of a hit now so Square locking them down makes sense. I think they could still make great Nier games without Platinum though, it is just a collab with Platinum after all.

1 Like

Telltale games.

2 Likes

Idk about that.

Platinum:

Scalebound - Cancelled

Granblue Fantasy - development taken away from

World of Demons - taken off app stores after soft launch and nothing heard back from since

Lost Order - nowhere to be seen

Both Bayonetta 3 and Babylon’s Fall AD are still in production.

Hell, they didn’t even announce their 4th game in development last year like they said they would, now it’s pushed to this year

While Telltale had problems, all of these were in the past 5 years for Platinum. And it hurts me to say that because they’re one of my favorite developers out there

Platinum received an investment from Tencent in 2020.

It was not an acquisition per se, but the studio mentioned its plan to explore self-publishing.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember they mentioned it shouldn’t change anything on their end, but I just don’t know with Tencent.

Then I hope Microsoft buys Square Enix…

I dont see how google or amazon buying take 2 would work.

If say stadia acquired take2, imagine of they made GTA6 exclusive, the uproar would probably do stadia more harm then good.

In all honesty, if Amazon or Google want to compete, they need something big.

Whether that’s an acquisition or partnership is up to them.

Im just thinking what it would be like of GTA6 was exclusive to either stadia or luna only via streaming, GTA has been on playstation,xbox and PC for decades. I just cant imagine millions and millions of gta gamers just accepting and submitting to stadia and playing ball, sure some would but a great many would not.

GTA as huge legacy on playstation and xbox.

Guys I don’t think Amazon or Google will make games exclusive, they would piss off the entire gaming community doing that and I doubt that would help their cause. If Amazon or Google bought something like Take 2, they wouldn’t make GTA exclusive to Stadia/Luna, but their next big game would be.

A few posts on Era make sense with regards to Sony. Basically the user think its them who buy Kadokwa and gain From Software. The user also mentions that Square will sell off Eidios, I personally think to MS, then Sony acquire Square

I’m pretty sure Kadakowa’s market cap is higher than Sony’s… 248.12 billion vs. 128.69.

I could definitely see Sony trying to purchase FromSoftware from them though!

1 Like

Has there even been een indication of Kadokawa wanting to sell, I have not seen something like that, so far it is speculation I believe. I don’t think Sony will go for big guns like Square either, and Brad Sams seemed to say EA and Sony were not as much looking for acquisitions than MS, Google or Amazon.

I think Sony will go first for partners they frequently work with ( inline with what they said before about acquisition ) like Bluepoint or Housemarque.

2 Likes

Kadakowa’s market cap is 248 billion yen while Sony’s is 128 billion US Dollars, haha. Kadakowa is ~2 billion USD after conversion.

2 Likes

Ah, didn’t see they were in different currencies. Would’ve thought they’d be the same since they’re both Japanese companies lol

Yep, the more I think about it, the more I see Kadokawa getting snatched up by Sony. Sony is already cornering the market on anime distribution, so Microsoft is at a disadvantage already as Kadokawa as a whole is more valuable to Sony than Microsoft which would only benefit the indirect fromsoft acquisition from it. And Sony has a bigger history with fromsoft, and has arguably one of the best games ever made as a ps4 exclusive and the game that started off an entire genre as a ps3 exclusive. Honestly it just makes sense, like Insomniac acquisition by Sony or Next Level acquisition by Nintendo, or soon Asobo by Microsoft :wink:

I’d be extremely bummed if it happened cuz fromsoft games are some of my favorite, and I could honestly not give a shit about any other Japanese game skipping pc or Xbox but fromsoft becoming Sony first party would be a major blow. :pensive:

2 Likes

Just because something makes sense doesn’t mean it will happen. It made sense for Sony to acquire Ninja Theory but they didn’t pull the triggers. Same situation with MS X BioWare, MS X Asobo, Nintendo X Gamefreak.

And the reason people speculate that Square will sell their western assets is because it’s struggling ? People like to make construction in their head to elevate their console with dream acquisitions. Other era had literally a big thread how Sony will acquire Rockstar because it makes “sense”.

2 Likes

I don’t expect Google nor Amazon to make huge acquisitions in the near future. Industry is still doubting their interest in the market, so it makes things more difficult for stakeholders to approve such M&A. We will probably see smaller, indie-like acquisitions and more partnerships to bring content to stadia/luna.

It took 20 years for Microsoft to be respected enough to buy ZeniMax/Bethesda, and they are still under scrutinity over their plans on the market.