The Game Awards 2022 | OT?

Stray got nominated for GOTY because internet culture has an odd obsession with cats. Being a PS+ game and an exclusive certainly helped, but if Stray was about a rabbit or whatever it wouldn’t have gotten the nomination (or been all that popular).

Kirby was done dirty by the cat fanatics imo.

5 Likes

Maximilian Dood discusses the Best Fighting Game nominations:

A 3 hour kitty game was nominated for GOTY but Forza Horizon 5 could never cuz “it’s a racing game”

What a bs

3 Likes

Tease of something or nah?

Kenjo Eno has returned and is skipping D3, D4, D5, D6, and D7 and going straight to D8?

Probably not a tease of anything, just reminding people when his show is.

5 Likes

My 2 cents to the TGAs:

a) The nomination criteria is objective b) The game selection misses major portions what is actual popular among gamers (which is okay) c) Because a) and b) I would say it is TGA of pundits not actual gamers

For instance, I am sure Vampire Survivor should have been nominated. Tunic is underrepresented. God of War is over represented.

I will watch but mainly for the game announcements and trailers. Good for the teams that win but I give a fuck.

Sincerely Colbert

9 Likes

1 Like

Nah kirby is pretty run of the mil imo. If that wasnt a nintendo game it would be a mid tier indie game on other platforms. Nintendos nostalgia is far too strong so its good to see kirby get snubbed.

If people enjoyed it then fair play to them but i just dont think its as good as the top tier switch exclusives. No way near it infact.

1 Like

Have you played the game? because it’s a very good platformer with some great bosses and levels. A game can still be great and not be Super Mario Odyssey or BotW levels of good. There is nothing mid-tier indie about it. lol

Also about the “nostalgia” thing, the first Kirby game that I played was Kirby’s Epic Yarn which didn’t hold my interest enough to finish the game so I have no “nostalgia” about the franchise.

1 Like

Lets leave it how it is and have unique things. Plenty of other ganes with easy mode.

From games will never have difficulty modes. You either suck at them or play them long enough to get better. That is what makes them so unique.

And putting in an easy mode would enable oeople to play on easy and say the game sucks

It has barely 0 story. What is the point of pressing A to win in a very narrative-less game? Theres no puzzles either or platforming.

1 Like

I’ll never understand the point of view that the presence of an option that you don’t need to select somehow makes the game worse for you. That said, this is also one of those arguments that never goes anywhere (and I suppose it really isn’t on topic for this thread anyway) so I’m going to leave it at that.

5 Likes

Yeah, I absolutely will. Been meaning to return to it. I’ll just start from the beginning since I only saw the pilot anyway.

The TGA’s aren’t the only game awards event in town. There’s also the

• DICE awards (developers judge this one) and

• BAFTAs (a curated panel of judges)

5 Likes

And the XboxEra Community GotY Poll, aka the XE’s (Exies) which is probably the most prestigious of all.

4 Likes

I was mostly joking about Kirby because saying that Kirby was GOTY after Elden Ring’s hugely positive critical reception was a bit of a meme this year (around Kirby’s launch at least). I wanted to give a lighthearted joke after mocking people’s love for cats.

That said, if Stray can get nominated then certainly Kirby could have.

I started Kirby, and I am enjoying it. It might end up being GOTY-level good or completely mid, but I can’t say one way or the other at this time.

2 Likes

Hello there it’s been Months since i post something here Things I DON’T expect from Xbox at TGA

• Avowed
  • Fable
  • everwild
  • Starfield ( being pushed back to Q3 )
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Redfall ( will have both beta announcement starting in February & release date for May )
  • Death Stranding 2 ( teaser trailer )
  • Diablo IV release date for SPRING Probably I’ll have more info closer to TGA

So heres something I expect from the game awards…

In addition to a golden eye release date:

Rare Replay gets an update to be a play anywhere title.

We also get an announcement that some if not all of Rares donkey kong catalog will be paid dlc for rare replay

These Donky and diddy kong games will also have an announcement as releases for the switch.

If this happens the TGA will be great and Ill finally be able to replay diddy kong racing

1 Like

As a reminder of how it works:

He’s referring to the number of public votes cast, which carries a weight of 10% towards deciding the eventual winners. The remaining 90% comes from jury members.

1 Like

35 million people voted but we should let 100 folks decide which was the game of the year!

The 10% weight looks even more hilarious now that we know how big the numbers of the public votes are. I had no idea that there were that many votes. lol

2 Likes