TechRadar Op-Ed: Xbox Series S is now a real threat to PS5

Yeah exactly. Something like that - I think they might try and include local compute to perform some of the more latency sensitive calcs but I guess depends how far down they are in development of that.

over the course of the gen, Series S will outsell Series X, it’s just expected. Phil himself has said it too.

2 Likes

I keep thinking a couple of years a ahead with the Series S. At the point when consoles are coming down a bit in traditionally and where they really rack up the 10s millions of sales. The big black Friday, holiday sales etc.

You’ll have PS5 and XSX for $350 or so and PS5 with expensive games not just doing the usual fighting with each other but also a $200 XSS with Game Pass and MS studios pumping out big games.

It makes sense to me. Lower buy-in means more potential customers. As long as they also do beefy hardware for dedicated nerds like me, more power to them!

Ok so in actuality it isn’t a ton of Sony’s games either since you are pointing to 2 AAA games that aren’t even out yet.

Not so sure about that. XSS doesn’t exist ‘for’ Game Pass. It exists because the cost curve of the SoC means they can’t feasibly do a mid-gen refresh again. That also means XSX pricing won’t drop significantly through the cycle. MS figured given that’s the case, they might as well make a cheaper version to sell to casuals outta the gate since they wouldn’t be able to target them with a cheap XSX down the road. This was noted in their HotChips presentation iirc.

It’s going to sell a ton in Black Friday and in the Holyday seasons, that’s for sure. Especially if they bundle them with Halo Infinite, Starfield, Gears 6 and other future big exclusives.

just bundle it with a few months of gamepass instead lol, you get all of those and more and a potential long term customer for gamepass, compared to just giving them simple retail version of said games that might be played and moved along from.

2 Likes

True.

The only thing that could screw up a really, REALLY strong holiday sales performance is supply being limited. Would be a real shame going into holidays again without the supply needed to really make proper use of All Access.

1 Like

oh I’m sure it’ll happen again lol. Can’t help it, Covid fucked everyone. :pensive:

In that sense, Xbox is in a much better position selling their games on console, PC and cloud rather than just one plastic box. Shifting to a service first ecosystem over a product one will help them to do relatively well this holiday too. But it’ll definitely be hamstrung by the supply constraints so they won’t be able to maximize said potential.

1 Like

Yup, I can imagine scenarios where ppl wanna play some of these Fall 2021 exclusives and a streaming stick or even X1 might be their best bet to access them via xCloud.

1 Like

I’m still not convinced S outsells X. not anytime soon.

X is still way more in demand and its the hardcore go to console.

When games like Starfield and Halo drop…People will want to play those games on the Series X.

Casuals outnumber the hardcore though. They’ll go for what’s cheapest, and that’s the Series S. The reason Series X is in more demand is because the hardcore are usually the ones who go first for the next-gen stuff. Casuals don’t have a problem waiting.

3 Likes

Given they were supposedly only making 1 DE for every 5 disc versions, i think it was as much about the marketing point as anything. Right now, only 20% of there audience can possibly be DE owners.

I don’t see the Series S as a real threat to Sony. I believe the Series X will out sell the Series S by a truckload. MS should have put a better console out than the S.

Something like this.

• CPU: Eight-core 3.6GHz (3.4GHz with SMT) custom AMD 7nm
  • GPU: 6 teraflops RDNA 2 GPU
  • RAM: 12GB GDDR6
  • Framerate: Up to 120 fps
  • Resolution: 1440p with 4K upscaling
  • Optical: No disk drive
  • Storage: 512GB NVMe SSD

I think they could release this at a good $150 less than the Series X ($349.00)

It gives people a cheaper console, but one that can actually do 1440P/60. It will have longer legs into the generation.

This along with the Series X would have been a headache for Sony.

Internet : disappointed in series S

Me : disappointed in series X and PS5

Point is - all the three consoles are falling short in there advertised target of Resolution + FPS in many games.

Nobody in their target demo cares about 1440p…the target demo for XSS has TV’s that are 1080p. Making it more expensive doesn’t help it become more appealing to that target demo. Quite the opposite.

1 Like

Yeah not now though. In the short term. X will outsell S. And correct me if I’m wrong. It has been by 3 or 4 times. Obviously MS are shipping more X.

I think the s needs it’s own identity still. Thst might come in time. The more games we get we’ll see how successful it is.

I wouldn’t be surprised if MS end up putting out a disc less series x for 400 in a couple of years.

1 Like