Sony to bring more PS5 games to PS4?

Of course they will cause Jim Ryan is into the business of making money and there are 100 million PS4 users out there.

The only thing that looks “next gen” is environment detail, the textures look quite hi res and there quite a bit more polygonal detail, but if they reduce the texture res and turn off the tessalation along with reducing the res, framerate and the lighting a bit it would look like a current gen game.

1 Like

But… muh generations? :worried:

3 Likes

There was that quote with the announcement how it was coming to another console and PC later. They said it was a mistake, but they also tried to pretend FF16 wasn’t coming to other consoles or PC too, so not exactly reliable folks there at Sony marketing.

I think lowering res and doing 30fps would be enough for the game to run on PS4.

1 Like

THIS is the kind of double talk that sucks for sure! Intentionally obfuscating clearly-defined parameters in order to squeeze more money out of customers should genuinely be illegal. We’re still in the days before pre-orders get charged (I think) so there’s still a chance to back out if you find out that the game you were buying a console for is coming to something else you already own, but the whole thing gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies.

1 Like

If I was jimbo, I would have the PS5 version be exclusive for about 6months in order to create buzz for the new platform then I would shadowdrop a PS4 version. It would make no sense to keep it PS5 exclusive, at its core its still a PS3 game, the PS4 version would still be a great improvement over the OG ps3 version. It rather sneaky how sony uses artificial exclusivity as a marketing tool, its in stark contrast to Xbox’s approach.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that was always happening

3 Likes

Yep. I was saying as much when we saw their showcase in June; nearly everything looked barely above what we’re used to seeing on the One X, and anyone who’s spent time developing anything knows that you can’t just add a platform (especially one that would require downscaling) at the drop of a hat. The “we believe in generations” talk was yet another Sony double-speak, sound byte opportunity; this is how they’ve operated for years. Given how much of a beating Microsoft was taking from the usual pundits, it was sketchy as hell that they waited so long to confirm that it was bullshit, whilst having been developing all of these games for PS4 as well. It was simply about drumming up hype for preorders and them knowing they’d get a free pass from most of the media.

3 Likes

This is great, actually, especially given the challenges given to us by the global pandemic. Forcing people to buy new expensive hardware just to keep up with games in an era of troubles and with low supply is just bad, glad neither Sony or MS is doing that right now. Sony tried to dunk a bit by claiming they will but it seemed to have backfired outside of the very hardcore fans.

2 Likes

Spiderman and Horizon are the only thing I like on PS so putting them on PS4 was great for me. I doubt I will ever need to buy a PS5.

I would imagine that with a bit of work we can see 1440p dynamic res and 30fps on PS4 pro.

2 Likes

I think initially they may have planned to drop ps4 soon.

But that would be in the face of a $399 ps5 up against a $500 or $600 SX.

PS5 hitting a higher than planned cost, plus SS at 299 would make that strategy of dropping the ps4 for ps5 surely backfire.

The double standard will always continue because Sony’s marketing tends to attract people who are WAY WAY to emotionally invested in their platform due to other deficiencies in their life.

Yet another case where Xbox gets raked through the coals for doing this and Sony gets a free pass for doing the same thing even though they out right lied about it at first.

I also think it is ridiculous that the PS5 launch lineup is somehow being praised when it consists of a multi gen DLC in Spiderman and a remaster of a 10 + year old game that is also probably coming to previous gens and PC. These people completely ignore Gears tactics launching on a console for the first time and Gears 5 updates and many other MS 1st party updates which compare almost directly to what Sony is offering out the gate.

2 Likes

Na, they need to be called out for lying and spewing crap like this. The media and their fanbase ALWAYS handles Sony with kid gloves and lets them lie and mislead their way around all the time. It is time for them to be held accountable and to start talking on a level playing field with their competitors.

Funny how that turned out? Where Xbox is actually transitioning to Next Gen quicker than Sony but Xbox got all the heat for supporting last gen for a short time.

2 Likes

It’s true, and they should. I think you’re right about that. My point wasn’t that nothing Ryan says matters, it was that the end result is the thing that matters to me as a consumer. I’m trying to divorce myself from the competitive console comparison stuff because it’s just a lot of wasted energy for me. I think it’s healthier if we focus on what we get out of these decisions rather than what coverage they get (but I don’t want to preach, what I decide obviously isn’t right for everyone).

Does it bother me that Sony consistently get a free pass with the general media and that Xbox stuff seems to be put under a microscope way more? Of course! Double standards suck, I hate them. Does it drive me crazy when I’m watching a Sony show and I see a bunch of cool games and I have to sift through the internet to see if they’re releasing on my platform of choice because it’s not the “default” and Sony are really shitty about being upfront about it? Totally, it’s maddening to have to do homework to know if I can be excited about a game or not. But realistically, Microsoft are fully committed to gaming with the investments they’ve made. I know that the investments I’ve made into their ecosystem are safe because they aren’t gonna give up on the whole shebang because of some unfair coverage.

Essentially, I’m trying to reframe the whole thing.

“Jim Ryan gets Nobel Prize for believing in generations, what a hero who is pushing the industry forward” and “Jim Ryan bravely decides to make a lot of money by nobly releasing PS5 games on PS4 which is clearly a thing that wasn’t set during development”

filters down to

“Ugh, I guess the PS4 I own isn’t going to go much further but I guess it’ll be cool to see what this focus on next gen will bring” and “Oh nice, this puts off my purchase of a PS5 by x years and lol I guess we’re gonna be in crossgen territory for a while”

Like, it’s all theater to drive clicks and bad-faith arguments from fanboys, I’d rather just take what I need from an article rather than get all heated about a particular turn of phrase or a tasteless dig in the comments.

I have a ravenous appetite for games but little disposable income. Microsoft is GREAT for this, and for various other reasons, the Series X will be my main box. Like many others here, the PS5 will be an exclusives machine for me and a game that’s coming out on PS4 means more money saved!

2 Likes

This type of crap by Sony is why I prefer Xbox as my primary ecosystem, as they just lie a lot and aren’t fully transparent or as consumer friendly. I will have a PS5 for a few select exclusives at some point, but that will be it.

2 Likes

Good I expect demon souls on ps4 in 6 months