So what exactly was the point of Sony making people sign up for first access to pre-orders?

Another misstep in which they have been quiet about,

Earlier this month Sony requested people sign up a form to become one of the first people to pre-order a PS5, still no email or follow up has been sent today

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2020/ps5-direct-pre-orders/

They will get to be in their own pre-order line starting tomorrow morning I think. They maybe should have communicated that better to those folks well ahead of time. They told ppl they were gonna announce pre-order timing details well in advance of taking the orders, but didnā€™t. Now there are probably lots of ppl who would have one waiting for them if they had waited but didnā€™t realize they had to wait and got one yesterday anyhow.

It may have been some advanced planning for plan B

Plan B being more pandemic lockdowns that prevent retail from selling or a big retailer failing.

I highly doubt that it was a Plan B, it was announced a couple weeks ago and the clear messaging on their site was ā€œbe the first to pre-order a PS5ā€

Iā€™m thinking that bloomberg article has more merit about production and they have to supply it to the retailers first.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the problemā€¦ā€˜you thinkā€™, thatā€™s all Sony does throughout this entire lead time to launch, give some vague details and let people figure it out on theiir own.

2 Likes

This preorder has been a shitshow.

2 Likes

Itā€™s quite clear that MS having their price and release date leaked spooked Sony and they scrambled to get their pre-orders out before MS. And I donā€™t believe the bullshit that they planned the price of their console ā€œearlier this year.ā€ Bullshit.

And theyā€™re only allotting 1% of their pre-order stock to the digital edition, screwing gamers even more. And then charging $70 for their games to make up for their console price. Screwing gamers some more.