Sky News: Games giant Electronic Arts gatecrashes £725m Codemasters takeover

I hope they get Codemaster, it would be a nice addition to EA Play

1 Like

I have more faith in EA than in 2K, to be honest. Plus, that would mean that every Dirt/F1 would eventually hit Game Pass, not to mention the 10-hour trials on release date.

4 Likes

While I personally have no interest in racing/sports games, Codemasters is a far better fit for EA than Take Two Interactive. EA is literally built around their sports franchises so having Codemasters would be huge for them. Now, could EA fuck them up over the long term? Absolutely but so could Take Two Interactive so I see it as a wash. If anything, they should stay independent but that appears to not be an option.

Codemasters is a public company

Codemasters isn’t a single studio, they’re a group of studios…

It sucks I really love codemasters I think EA would kill them, Take two isn’t a great option but better then EA.

I wish MS would buy them.

That and legally Microsoft has agreed to purchase Zenimax subject to regulatory approval - the relevant contracts have been signed etc.

Gamepass Ultimate :smile:

Now that EA is cozy with Game Pass, I’m find myself rooting for EA over 2K and Activision these days. This would be a good fit.

1 Like

Merged the 2 topics

2 Likes

There is a bidding war going on, that’s for sure.

Not anymore. EA won.

1 Like

Looks like they paid an additional $200-250 million over the Take-Two original deal.

Zenimax being private makes it different altogether. But when people talk about MS and Sony buying up public publishers this is the type of bidding war that will ensue. In future they will just have more participants (e.g. Google, Amazon, MS, Sony, Tencent, Facebook etc.).

Ugg this sucks wish Codemaster could have stayed the way it was or MS would buy them. I guess it’s good now their games will be on gamepass but I expect in the long term EA will kill codemasters. I’ve been playing codemaster games since the 1990’s and loved them.

I spent a lot of time as a young adult on the Toca and Colin Mcrae Franchise, And Dirt 5 has been a blast on the Series X

behind Streets of rage road rash was my favourite series on mega drive. showing my age here😆

So it’s over ?

Nice, I’m glad EA buy them, it means more game in xbox gamepass ultimate

1 Like

I hope EA is going to make racing games with Codemasters. Otherwise, this seems unusual. Usually, EA does acquisitions for talent and not for the IP – by their own admission. (See their CEOs interview when bidding for WB games)

I think you answered it right there. Having yearly licensed racers fits well with the EA Sports brand. F1 is just as much a sport as the NFL.

It would be cool if this opens the door to more official licensing for racers, from WRC to Stadium SUPER Trucks. EA used to have official NASCAR titles.

A lot of these games could have the same laser scanned tracks and physics engines so while it didn’t make sense to have different developers work on the various licenses it would make sense for EA + Codemasters to get them all.

This also bolsters EA Play to make it more enticing for us gamers. Maybe they saw the Play was big with sports fans and that the addition of many racers would be up their alley?

And with these games then subsequently hitting Gamepass Ultimate, it’s a good time to grab a new racing wheel.

1 Like