Rock Band 4 |OT| All previous Rock Bands go offline on January 24th, RB4 will require an Epic Account

Newest DLC

Search the Rock Band music store in-game or use rbdb.online

Welcome to the Rock Band thread!

Yes, Rock Band is still alive and getting weekly DLC. While you can expect this thread to mainly focus on Rock Band 4 and it’s expansion Rock Band Rivals, you can also discuss the previous Rock Band titles here. Or even Guitar Hero. There’s no music game fanboyism here.

Wait, Rock Band Rivals?

Rock Band Rivals is an expansion to Rock Band 4 that was released a year after the original game came out. It adds a new Rivals mode where you can recruit up to 9 other people for your Crew and then fight up the leaderboards to promote your crew every season.

Every season lasts 8 weeks, and you attempt to promote from Bronze to the highest tier, Bloodstone. Each season rewards the Gold and above tiers with cosmetic items to equip and show off in online play.

While Rivals was originally just this mode, Rivals is ALSO your online pass and is required to play online (online was added to Rock Band 4 after Rivals released). It also comes with 25 additional free songs, so the asking price for Rivals is worth it alone for the song count it gives you.

Rock Band Rivals also comes with the new “Rockumentary” mode, which is a campaign that parodies VH1’s Behind the Music. It’s pretty good and funny, but the Crew Rivals mode turned out to be a runaway hit within the community so it doesn’t get mentioned much.

Do I need Rivals to buy new DLC?

No. All DLC that has released for the Rock Band game since late 2015 only requires Rock Band 4’s base game. Rivals is only required to download any free songs (with few exemptions).

I bought a bunch of Rock Band DLC in the last generation. What happened to it?

If you bought official Rock Band DLC in the previous generation, as long as you have the SAME console family and the same account, you can play those purchases in Rock Band 4. Rock Band Network songs purchases do NOT carry forward to Rock Band 4 for legal reasons, but Harmonix is porting select RBN songs to Rock Band 4 for purchase.

If you want to buy a song to play on both Rock Band 4 and the Xbox 360 (any DLC that came out during RB3 and previous), you need to buy the 360 version from the Xbox web store first. If you buy it on Xbox One, it will ONLY entitle you to an RB4 copy. This is a limitation of the MS store.

On Playstation, you can buy a pre-RB4 song on either PS3 and PS4 and the entitlement will be granted on both platforms.

Do I still need instruments to play?

Guitars and Drums still require the actual instrument controllers to play. Vocals only needs a standard USB mic and a regular controller to navigate menus and activate overdrive if you’ve disabled voice-activated overdrive.

If you have instruments from the previous generation, they will work on Xbox with either the Wireless Adapter or the extremely expensive PDP Wired Adapter if you want to use a MIDI drumkit. On Playstation, no adapters are needed. This is due to Microsoft being weird about USB port security. You cannot use RB1 wired instruments or the GH2 wired Xplorer with the Wired Adapter either for this reason.

Instrument costs are rising and be aware of scalpers. Harmonix is aware of the demand for new instruments but current conditions do not allow them to make a new instrument production run.

Rock Band Rivals Season Passes

Every Rivals Season also comes with a Season Pass. Previously this was called the Spotlight Pass and would grant you the new spotlight songs for each challenge. As of the most recent Season though, it’s now the Season Pass and will grant you ALL of the new DLC that releases for 8 weeks. The price of the season pass scales to how many songs are in it, so it’s never consistent. After the season concludes, the pass goes away, so while you can wait and see what songs are in it before buying, don’t wait too long. Or you can buy it blind the first day it’s up and accept your fate. It’s up to you. If you are interested in building your library as fast as possible, it does produce savings.

Exporting Previous Rock Band Titles

You can export Rock Band Track Packs that are NEW and/or have UNREDEEMED manual codes from the Xbox 360. This also grants you the delisted songs, if any appear on that track pack. Unfortunately, it seems Sony has expired the track pack codes on the Playstation side.

If you previously exported Rock Band 1, 2, Green Day, or Lego Rock Band in the 360/PS3 days, that export will be waiting for you to install on Rock Band 4 as long as you’re using the same account. You had to actually finish and complete the export back then to be eligible. 3’s export expired in December 2020.

I want to eventually learn a real instrument. Does Rock Band help with this?

Rock Band can help you learn some basics like timekeeping and finger independence on guitar/bass, especially altstrumming. If you want to take it further though, Rocksmith is recommended for learning real guitar/bass. A lot of us that play Rock Band also play Rocksmith. It’s okay to play both!

Drums are much closer to real drums than the other instruments are to their counterparts. You will learn full limb independence, most drum techniques, etc, but due to the limitations of the drum controller and the standard pedal, it doesn’t teach advanced techniques like managing the hi-hat, double pedal, or ghost notes. If you play a lot of drums in Rock Band, become comfortable on expert and want to take it further, you should seek out drum lessons to expand your skillset. A lot of Rock Band drummers have gone on to play in real bands, and a lot of the high level Rock Band drum players were experienced real drummers before the game came out.

But Rock Band had Pro Guitar and Pro Keys in Rock Band 3. What happened with that?

Rocksmith won the “teaching guitar as a game” war. We’re cool with each other. Even Harmonix will tell you to go buy Rocksmith to learn guitar.

Keys were dropped for Rock Band 4 due to low usage and interest. They’re not coming back.

Are any of the songs from previous games available anymore now that the exports are expired?

Harmonix makes select songs from time to time (and those time to times are very large gaps) available as "Rock Band Rewind"s from previous discs.

Do I have to re-buy the RBN re-releases even though I bought it back on the 360 or PS3?

Yes. Purchases could not come forward due to legal reasons on RBN songs. Their other choice was to never bring back any RBN. It is what it is.

Hey, I remember the community Harmony Project from Rock Band 3 that required installing a mod on my 360. What happened with that?

Harmonix worked out a deal with the community to OFFICIALLY integrate the Harmony Project into Rock Band 4, so the vast majority of the Rock Band library that released pre-RB3 now has harmonies. This adds hundreds of songs to the harmony suite. Neat! They’re automatically included in Rock Band 4 with no extra steps.

3 Likes

-reserved-

Great OT!

It’s been ages since I’ve played anything like Guitar Hero or Rockband - is it still easy to pick up the controllers etc?

It totally depends on your local FB Marketplace/Craigslist/thrift store scene/non-Gamestop game store scene. In bigger population centers they’re cheap to come by. But in some places people want a lot for them, and the pandemic has depleted the supply even more.

Definitely don’t pay the 300-500$ scalpers want for guitars on Amazon

Hey @FyreWulff, I added an image to your OT until you create your own (or keep using that one if you like).

Oh, nice to see Rock Band still sparks some interest!

It’s so hard to come around instruments nowadays, specially in the country where I live. I’ve bought an used Rock Band 4 + Guitar for around R$ 1,200.00 a year and a half ago (to put things into perspective, I bought a brand new Guitar Hero 3 bundle for R$ 200.00 back a decade ago). And I probably spent around that money on DLC lol

Btw, a quick PSA for everyone who wants to export the Rock Band 3 songs and don’t have the game or a 360 anymore: you can buy the export pack directly from the link below and it’ll show on your Xbox One download list! You don’t even have to have played Rock Band 3 before. I know that because I only had a PS3 last gen, and it worked fine for me!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/rock-band-3-export-pack/bv9gkpvvw5qw

Rock Band 3’s export is expiring December 1st

Can we openly talk about the custom song community for Rock Band 3 on this website? I guess if I’m not banned in a few hours, I’ll find out! :joy:

Great OP, thanks for making it! Stupid question: Can I use the adapter I used for Rocksmith to use my real guitar to play Rock Band? It’s pretty heavily discounted until the end of the day so I’m tempted but I don’t have any instrument controllers or room for them.

Nope, that technology doesn’t work with Rock Band.

Ah well, figured as much. Thanks for the answer and the thread!

Note that if you like karaoke it’s at least possible to play with up to 3 people with just one controller and 3 USB mics… USB mics being the perpetual always available and cheap instrument.

1 Like

I just bought Rock Band finally! Been wanting it for years. Got it on PS though because it was much more affordable. Got RB4, RB3, Guitar, and Drums. Considering getting keyboard and maybe even Rock Smith as well, haha, on a music kick.

Hey, it’s been super busy for me (right after I made the last post in here, I started working 60 hour ish weeks which didn’t let up until February), so I haven’t been able to keep this thread quite up to date. While I’ll still be busy for a good while now, I’ll try to post at least a quarterly update in here to keep y’all up to date on any notable songs that have been released in the interims. Scroll down to the end of this post for the notable songs (which is my personal opinion plus general expectations, you may have your own)

Songs that have released since October 15th, 2020

Rock Band Network ports in italics

• Fate of the Maiden - Amberian Dawn
  • Selkies - The Endless Obsession
  • A Little Bit Off - FFDP
  • Devil Went Down to Georgia - Nickelback
  • CITY OF ANGELS - 24kGoldn
  • Spin - We The Kings
  • White Knuckles - OK Go
  • Caution - The Killers
  • Alive with the Glory of Love - Say Anything
  • Cute Without the E (Cut from the Team) - Taking Back Sunday
  • Shot in the Dark - AC/DC
  • Death by Rock and Roll - The Pretty Reckless
  • Come & Go - Juice WRLD & Marshmello
  • Rollin’ (Air Raid Vehicle) - Limp Bizkit
  • Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
  • My Way, Soon - Greta Van Fleet
  • Stacy’s Mom - Fountains of Wayne
  • Prisoner - Dance Gavin Dance
  • Come and Get Your Love - Redbone
  • Golden - Harry Styles
  • Higher - Shawn Mendes
  • Anthem Part Two - blink-182
  • Hanging by a Moment - Lifehouse
  • Let the Games Begin - Anarbor
  • bloody valentine - Machine Gun Kelly
  • All Downhill from Here - New Found Glory
  • Greatest of all Time - New Found Glory
  • My Friends Over You - New Found Glory
  • To the Stage - Asking Alexandria
  • Visitor - Of Monsters and Men
  • Sick, Sick, Sick - Bayside
  • ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa feat. Emilee
  • Take Me Home, Country Roads - John Denver
  • Let My Love Open the Door - Pete Townshend
  • The Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang
  • Fatal Illusion - Megadeth
  • Smash the Control Machine - Otep
  • Dreamchaser - Amberian Dawn
  • Help I’m Alive - Metric
  • Superman - Goldfinger
  • Younger Lungs - Less Than Jake
  • Demon Woman - Flight of the Conchords
  • Good Morning Tuscon - Jonathan Coulton

Notable Releases

Devil Went Down To Georgia finally makes it’s appearance in Rock Band after being a 13 year exclusive to GH3, albeit it’s a cover by Nickelback. It just as challenging as the GH3 version, especially since this features a guest guitarist in Dave Martone.

Shot in the Dark by AC/DC marks AC/DC’s -first ever- appearance as actual DLC in the Rock Band series since their RB2 debut in 2008, with their only other songs being via exporting the AC/DC track pack disc. AC/DC ain’t for everyone, but it’s notable just for a big band finally coming around with a studio DLC release. It’s a typical song by the band, but solid.

Rollin’ (Air Raid Vehicle) is a song people never expected to make it to RB after it didn’t show up in the original LB releases, but it finally has! Embrace the memes of yesterday!

Take Me Home, Country Roads is the John Denver signature song and his debut in Rock Band. This is the original recording as well. This one will be a party favorite once those are a thing again.

The Bad Touch is the (mostly) one hit wonder from the 90s that most of us that were alive in the 90s remember. It amazingly makes it into the game MOSTLY unscathed for edits, which is impressive. Also, is it only now I realize how electronic this song was? I guess I mostly listened to it when it played on MTV via a TV instead of actual stereos.

Help, I’m Alive from Metric is Metric’s first ever DLC song for the game series, finally escaping the disc-only-RB3-song-band prison! I don’t listen to a lot of Metric but a notable pick for this reason, only took them a decade!

Superman by Goldfinger is THE Tony Hawk Pro Skater track! And now you can play this ska hit in the game, finally. It somehow even never made it into Guitar Hero. Wonder what changed.

As for the game itself, a big patch is expected soon. I’ll post an update in here whenever that lands.

1 Like

Time for an update again. The game was patched and added new rewards, including Black Lives Matter and Pride Month shirts, plus more rewards for Rivals.

Notable Releases Since My Last Post

Who Do You Love? by George Thorogood & the Destroyers

Wild Thing by The Troggs

And So It Went by The Pretty Reckless ft Tom Morello

Self Destructor by Chevelle

Also this week is the first time Harmonix has released both the original of a song and a cover of it. General sentiment in the RB community seems to support it rather than waiting years between a cover and original releases, but like me, it probably should be outside of the season pass so that we aren’t having one song take two slots in it.

I’m having problems connecting Rock Band 4 official drum kit on Xbox Series X. Wireless sync keeps blinking but doesn’t connect. Wired connection keeps the sync light on after connecting, but the game doesn’t find the controller (“connect controller” button is greyed out in game).

Wireless guitars and wired mic connect and work fine, but drums don’t. Does anybody have any tips? This is the Rock Band 4 Rivals official complete band set for Xbox One. Drums worked fine on Xbone.

New set of batteries? Also try hard resetting the xbox.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried fresh batteries. By hard resetting Xbox do you mean holding down the power button for 10 seconds etc?

Hey, it’s been a while since I’ve done a song update for this thread. In particular this week has two legendary songs, Aretha Franklin’s "Respect’ and Dolly Parton’s “Jolene”

https://youtu.be/kZciaILEQzA

Notable songs since last update:

Take It Off - The Donnas

Dreaming - Blondie

Show Me The Way (Live) - Peter Frampton

Sk8er Boi - Avril Lavigne

Stay (I Missed You) - Lisa Loeb

Rock You Like a Hurricane - Scorpions (finally escapes GH3!)

I Can’t Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar

Flavor of the Weak - American Hi-Fi

Time Warp (from Rocky Horror) - Little Nell, Patricia Quinn & Richard O’Brien

Africa - Weezer (original also available)

Blue Monday - Orgy (original also available)

I Wanna Dance with Somebody - Fall Out Boy (original also available)

You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid - Offspring

1 Like