Review | Redfall

Xbox owners seem to hate the platform more than anyone

6 Likes

I’m playing the game myself now, but I’d like to read that review later too, I mean, why not? Is it on YouTube or written review?

Ermmm… it’s at the top of the thread… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, what the hell, lmao!

How did I not figure out you meant Don Cabesa with Donc’s.

Yeah, not my smartest moment. Thought you meant a reviewer from another site.

4 Likes

Fantastic review as always. I’m loving the game so far, only played about 2.5 hours as Dev on the series X solo. I’m taking my time and already have found some interesting and emotional text logs. I love the graphics and atmosphere, sound is very good and spooky at times. Had zero issues with pop in and no bugs at all so far. Zero stuttering for me, although I never have issues with 30fps. I think the game is fantastic, but want to finish it solo, before trying multiplayer, as I don’t want to miss anything. Don’t understand all the hate to this game. I really believe that people enjoy bitching about game tech and specs more than having fun playing games these days.

6 Likes

I get people having criticisms, but it’s easy to tell on YT or Twitter when the article wasn’t actually read nor the video watched. This game has become a lightning rod for console warriors, to the point that any decent discussion around it has been completely drowned out. It’s why I tried writing my feelings so clearly as to why I loved it.

12 Likes

I’m actually playing the game.

1 Like

Does the game fall apart at some stage? Starting to find my fun and groove with it 3-4 missions in after a rather confusing start.

I don’t think so, but I’m the outlier on this one.

To be completely honest, if this game was objectively even half decent, a lot of people would call it a success. The fact that I see hardcore Xbox fans review this game horribly is scary.

“scary”?

1 Like

Jesse’s review is great. It’s honest, goes through both positives and negatives. I commend him and XboxEra for taking reviews seriously and even updating them when patches come live.

Like I said in the Game Studios thread, I’m loving this game and I am really surprised by the constant pile up on it. I just want to share my thoughts and leave it at that. I don’t want to get into it with the constant doom and gloom members.

Redfall is not a bad game. It is fun, and meets my expectations on what I thought it was.

I think this game is being made an example of personally. There are quite a few things going against it.

1. It has this pressure to be this next huge Xbox game after what some would describe a drought of AAA releases. Not every game is this huge blockbuster budgeted release. There are AAA games with smaller budgets and scope. The fact that this game is only 15-20 hours is wonderful. I miss these game lengths. That is why I enjoyed Ghostwire Tokyo as well. A perfect length that didn’t overstay its welcome.

2. It is the first real exclusive from the Bethesda acquisition that was “taken” away from another console. This puts a spotlight on it from others that want it to fail. While I don’t believe the gaming media would hurt a studio like Arkane on purpose, you have to wonder. Most of these outlets prefer another console. They request review copies on that machine. They always ask when an Xbox exclusive is coming to that machine, including first-party releases.

3. Releasing after Jedi Survivor hurt the review score. Jedi Survivor is "oscar bait’. It has all the checkmarks of a loved gaming media game. Great graphics, third person, soulslike combat, story, mocapped cutscenes, and amazing platforming. It is the total package. However, there was an outcry on why it got so many good reviews when the performance was really bad on PC supposedly. So Redfall is being reviewed, there is no 60fps on console and there are some performance hiccups on PC. I feel like it is being punished.

4. (My opinion) The review codes for this game came last minute. This means that these outlets had to rush through this game in a weekend. This is why there is so many “in-progress” reviews out there. Nobody likes to feel rushed. A game like Redfall is suppose to be enjoyed solo or with friends, not rushed. Of course everything will feel the same or the missions will be “uninspired” when you are just rushing through and not taking your time.

In regards to my opinions on certain things I want to respond to:

• The graphics are fine. It follows Arkane’s style.
  • The loot is cool. While there isn’t unique weapons, the perks in some of the legendary weapons are fantastic. Killing vampires with my shotgun stake and getting back HP is wonderful.
  • The empty world. This take really upsets me. The maps are not huge. The town has been taken over with vampires. This “empty” world argument comes from the preconceived notion that this was like Left 4 Dead. People are expecting enemies to come at them 24/7. This is not that game. This is like Far Cry. Far Cry is a big open world, which is empty until you reach a base or a mission. You drive around for 5 minutes and maybe hunt an animal on the way. All I know is I encountered enemies in Redfall. I am never bored.

I’m going to be honest, I’m scared for the future of the gaming industry if a game like Redfall is being demolished and being rated lower than something like Saints Row.

Not every game can be Starfield, God of War, or Zelda.

People complain about lack of releases, but if every game has to be a 200 million+ budget blockbuster, we will never get any games.

Shawn Layden said this isn’t sustainable. Development time is doubling, causing budgets to double.

I have nothing else to say. I’m just tired over all this negativity. I’m going to continue playing Redfall after work and enjoy it :slight_smile: .

Thank you Arkane Austin for Redfall. I enjoy it greatly.

14 Likes

Seems to me that folks are running with the popular narrative . Yes even Xbox “Fans”. I’ve put in almost 3 hours in it and I’m having a blast. I had to force myself to turn it off and go to bed last night lol.

4 Likes

Well I’d personally try it when it got the 60 fps patch, now I probably won’t.

I think many Xbox “influencers” are so desperate to appear impartial that they fall all over themselves to criticize (or over criticize) every possible negative in Xbox games or Xbox business strategy.

The Xbox guys who work for PlayStation-centric shows seem to be the worst at this (Paris and Matty). But they are far from the only ones.

There is absolutely no positive halo effect ever on anything Xbox does, while PS and Nintendo both get huge positive halo effects.

The dogpiling on this game seems to be really out of proportion. I’ve only played a couple of hours so far (solo). I don’t think it’s great, but I also don’t think it’s an unmitigated disaster. Based on what I’ve seen so far it seems like a 7.0-7.50. Unless the game really goes off the rails then scores of 4-5 just seem like attempts to punish the platform/get clicks/build credibility for the reviewer.

11 Likes

I like Parris but I do agree. It’s cool to hate on Xbox so those opinions will be boosted.

1 Like

It’s almost as if you need a chart to find out where Redfall touched some of these fellows.

1 Like

Played a few missions now. I don’t find it terrible by any means, nor anything truly special. I can see it being fun in co-op but playing solo I already find myself not enjoying it as much as I would like. It’s absolutely aimed at co-op. Was happy when it was said it would be great for solo too, it’s not in my experience, not so far anyway.

Will try out in co-op later, but this is not what I personally like to see from the studio that made Prey.

I don’t find anything really wrong with the graphics, they are actually quite nice indoors with lighting and it’s quite crisp too. I did notice some dips in the framerate, but mostly so far it’s been stable. Did have trouble aiming at vampires once it was more than one against me, maybe this is where 60fps would help a lot.

The map does seem nicely done, albeit very empty, but on the other hand everyone has fled the streets and I can’t blame them, lol. What is just not good are how cheap looking the animations of other enemies can be, meaning the human ones. And bugs/glitches like how they float on top of stairs at times.

And I will always be of the opinion that this studio excels at smaller world design, look at Prey for that. Not as huge and open ended, it was perfect.

2 Likes

Also, something isn’t right here, lol. The proportions are all out of whack. Some weirdly strange small character models.

No, that isn’t a little girl, haha.

And when I stand directly in front of him :slight_smile:

This one is proper.

Odd :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes