Review | A Plague Tale: Requiem

True, but I do like a challenge too, as long as it’s fun. I can absolutely enjoy great AI that challenges you a little. But it sounds like narrative mode still offers that a little. As long as it’s not insane easy I’m good.

If this is what an “AA” current-gen game looks like, I can’t imagine how good games like Fable or Perfect Dark or The Witcher IV or others are going to look. Exciting times ahead!

3 Likes

1 chapter in and it’s fantastic.

The visuals are amazing, the only criticism I’d give it at the moment is sometimes the character models look a little soft when the rest of the environment looks so realistic.

Dont worry, narrative mode is far from ‘easy’.

You can switch between them.

If you enjoy doing the same sequences repeatedly Normal is for you. I hate being frustrated when I am meant to be enjoying a game.

Obviously short review embargo deadlines don’t help as there is no time for it.

3 Likes

Sounds like narrative will be for me as well then. It’s especially great to know that narrative still isn’t easy. I was afraid it would be like Witcher 3, but good it’s not. But it’s a win win situation anyway, because we can switch whenever we want. Awesome.

2 Likes

The great example is Hellblade 2 since it falls under the same genre as this one. Seeing that made me a believer.

1 Like

I always like going for the hardest difficulty first to see what any game has to offer on them. If I find I can’t progress too well, I lower the difficulty to learn the games mechanics and area of interest were I could get items or weapons that can help take down enemies in harder difficulty with more ease.

There have been few games were I don’t do so, either because it won’t let me(Soulslike), or the difficulty isn’t to much to handle(Dishonored, Witcher 3, Skyrim ect).

I just tried the game on my Series X.

I consider myself a complete 60fps advocate but this game, despite supposedly being 30 fps, looks really damn good and feels responsive to play. So I guess the “sacrifice” is worth it…?

I played the intro and it is really cool: it is incredible we can have a game this quality on a service like Game Pass on day one.

7 Likes

Good to hear. I’m a bit torn on the fps debate thing… In some games, where it matters, higher fps is a necessity. I find FPS games and anything fast its almost a must to have at least 60. In this kind of third person narrative games though… nah I think 30 is fine.

This discussion sometimes reminds me of my days as a PCMR muppet, where people are more into settings, performance, cables and xmas lights on their desk than actual games.

2 Likes

Yeah, I really agree with your last point and that is one of the reasons why I went to back to consoles after a period on PC gaming. Now it is all about enjoying the games for me.

I think all games are better at 60 fps. It is obvious some genres benefit more from it than others (racing games, competitive shooters, sport games, etc.). In the case of this one, it seems to be perfectly enjoyable at 30 fps from what I have played.

2 Likes

Yeah, same here. I couldn’t take the boring people who is much of the PC community any longer and became a mainy console player about 5 years ago or so. Never played so many games as I do now, and it’s a real peace of mind to get away from the stupid upgrade stress and weird hardware fetishism and elitism.

Unfortunately some of that crap is leaking into console gaming too, but I hope it won’t become as bad.

2 Likes

I guess I get why they went for 30 FPS. Maybe it was hard to hit 60 FPS for certain scenes…

They are pushing the tech heavily in some instances.

They may be able to get an unlock framerate mode though. The game feels quite stable 99.9% of the time.

3 Likes

Tell me if I am mistaken, but it’s my opinion that developers are taking advantage of the processing power of the new consoles, and they are squeezing so much processing out of them that they have to choose between frames per second or graphics?

FPS absolutely. Starfield for example at 30fps will be doable in third person, but I wonder how it will be in first person. I find first person games to be way more jarring in 30fps than third person games. It’s fine for me in Witcher 3, but absolutely not great at all in Cyberpunk 2077. Hoping BGS can do something similar to what Asobo did here, for Xbox.

1 Like

I’m sure they’ll find a good balance for Starfield. I just want a good Bethesda RPG, and don’t really care about muh frames as long as its steady.

2 Likes

My 6 year old is pretty hyped for this game. It seems pretty good so far. Definitely a good fit for Gamepass, there is a need for more casual style AAA single player games on Gamepass like this.

9 Likes

It’s super good! Although I will warn you things do get pretty graphic at times, just in case that’s a concern.

Otherwise, your son’s in for a super good time imo. I’ve got a couple chapters left. Easily trumps the original game. And that soundtrack…… chills man.

2 Likes

I started on normal and the first enemy that I had to cause a distraction for detected me every time. This happened seven times in a row and I died each time.

However, I started over on narrative difficulty and still got detected but I then used the slingshot and was able to run away so that made me think that perhaps it’s just a preset thing.

Either way, im staying on narrative difficulty and im pretty sure you can change the difficulty level after already starting the game but not 100% sure. Usually games will tell you if you can or not and there was no such message when starting the game.

Anyway, I went through the first chapter and it was really good. Requiem plays well which im sure is helped by VRR and me playing on an LG CX OLED. Visually, looks amazing.

Innocence was great and I enjoyed 15 out of that game’s 16 chapters. Will see how Requiem plays out but thus far, it’s 1 for 1.

My only complaint thus far is that when playing on narrative difficulty, you can’t turn off the enemy detection which is those little diamonds that fill up when an enemy sees you. I always turn this off in games.

2 Likes

Yeah, it nice to see games that are only current gen only.

Looking incredible. You could practically feel the Naughty Dog inspiration here.

4 Likes