Return to Monkey Island announced

New interview with Ron and Dave: https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/ron-gilbert-dave-grossman-return-to-monkey-island

Also new screenshots:

2 Likes

Looking pretty good. And while there are no pictures of Guybrush yet, the faces we do see have a similar blocky, sharp-edged art style to that rendering you posted earlier.

I’m off to read that interview.

Thanks for keeping us updated about this project. :+1:

1 Like

So Return to Monkey Island starts in the amusement park?

Ron: Yeah, that was kind of my one criteria: we need to start the game there. I don’t want to go into all the details of it, but we do start there, and then it takes lots of weird twists and turns that you would expect from us.

woooow

That was a good read. Worth your time if you’re interested in this game.

Reading it, I was a little bummed, if unsurprised, that they’re not using a click-the-verb interface, but they seem kind of chuffed about their new interface so I’m curious to try it out. Other than that, it sounds like it has everything going for it, and will hopefully be a return to form for the series.

i’ll be curious to see what they come up with. the interface for Full Throttle and CMI was fine, if a little easy. the old Verb interface offered a lot of possibilities, but is probably too confusing for newbies. is there a Goldilocks solution here? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like a good time to get into the series. I has gotten the second game when it was on Games with Gold a long time ago but missed the first. I waited for it to go on sale but eventually forgot about it. With this announcement I think i’ll go ahead and purchase it.

It’s kinda cool Sea of Thieves referenced this series in one of its expansions too.

2 Likes

New things to read:

An update from Ron: Grumpy Gamer - When I Made Another Monkey Island

An interview with ArsTechnica: In rare interview, Monkey Island designers tell Ars about long-awaited Return | Ars Technica

3 Likes

Go fuck yourself, Ron Gilbert.

No, not really. Tongue planted firmly in cheek. But it cannot be overstated how much I love the art of Day of the Tentacle. It’s one of the reasons it’s my favourite game of all time.

Other than that assault on DotT, that was a good read. I feel bad about the comments the hardcore “fans” of Monkey Island must’ve made to Ron, for him to bother bringing it up. Asshole fandoms are the worst, and I’m convinced they don’t actually love the thing they claim to love, but only the unblemished, rose-tinted memory of that thing.

Anyway, thanks for posting @purpletentacle. I’ll make sure to read the Ars Technica piece later this afternoon.

1 Like

I mean, he is the “Grumpy Gamer” :stuck_out_tongue:

to be honest, I prefer creatives with strong opinions (even if i don’t share them.) just means they have a point of view which generally leads to something interesting.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong. I wasn’t at all serious. Just surprised that he didn’t like the art, that’s all.

1 Like

don’t get me wrong, i’m a fan of DotT as well (if you hadn’t noticed).

1 Like

Well, I’ve read the Ars piece now, and I have to admit all the talk about making the game easier has me a little concerned. I really, really hope that the hint system is completely optional. It seems like that would be a no-brainer, but the tone of the piece makes it seem like a design decision, as opposed to an accessibility option. They seem quite critical of games with convoluted and time consuming puzzles.

They say that players don’t want frustration and will only tolerate being stuck for about five minutes, but that SO doesn’t describe me. Difficult puzzles are a big part of the charm for me. I really, truly, don’t mind being stuck for hours, wracking my brain, trying everything I can possibly think of. I want that. I enjoy pondering some seemingly impossible task while I’m not even playing, coming up with a potential solution, and anxiously awaiting a time when I can get back on and try it. And that feeling you get when you FINALLY manage to solve it… man… All that is a big part of why I play point-n-clicks, and I really, really, hope they haven’t simplified it too much.

I’ll for sure play it regardless of whether the hint system is optional or not. But this is the first bit of news about this game that has me concerned.

The puzzles in Thimbleweed Park were pretty good balanced so I’m not concerned about difficulty.

2 Likes

at the end of the day, you gotta trust the creator. so i’m curious to see what they come up with.

also, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve become an “easy mode” convert. there’s a lot of stuff out there competing for our attention, if some accessibility options can help a game become more accessible: what’s the harm?

or put simply: i doubt Ron and Dave want to make a shitty game.

3 Likes

Really pumped for this.

I trust they know what they are doing, and can make a faithful monkey island game

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely none, provided it is indeed an option. My concern is entirely centered around it not being optional. I feel the tone of the piece makes it seem like a design decision, as opposed to an accessibility option.

If it’s optional I have no beef. There’s plenty of games where I do play with easy mode enabled. Tunic and Hades are two of them. I just happen to want my puzzle games to be difficult.

Me too. And even if the hint system isn’t optional, I doubt very much it’ll be a shitty game. I would still play it, likely complete it, and likely enjoy it.

1 Like

new interview: ‘This Was Like the Manhattan Project of Games’: How Return to Monkey Island Became a Reality - IGN

1 Like

More stuff:

Ron and Dave talk with GamesBeat: Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman are ready to Return to Monkey Island | VentureBeat

thought this quote was interesting:

Gilbert: I played Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 as we started to look at the new design. Looking at the old game can be frustrating because there are so many little things that I wish I could change. Adventure game design was a lot more forgiving back then. Beating your head against obscure puzzles was acceptable. It’s not anymore.

also an interview with Rex: Return to Monkey Island's art director talks inspirations and expectations | VentureBeat

finally, Ron has released a development diary: Grumpy Gamer - Return to Monkey Island Dev Diary

and i should mention i generally find these through mixnmojo.com - an excellent LucasArts fan site that any fan of Monkey Island should follow.

3 Likes

Some stats:

1 Like