Redfall gameplay revealed - launching 2023

Why does everything need to be to the benefit of the solo player

4 Likes

You have never played left 4 dead in your life.

1 Like

I really liked the look of this. Im pretty excited for this one! Also I agree with some of the users here anyone that thinks this looks like left 4 dead has never played a left 4 dead game. If anything this is more akin to a borderlands type game with an arkane twist and im all for it!

It doesn’t. But that’s one of the narratives being pushed: if you prefer playing solo, that’s great, you lose nothing. I don’t buy it.

Also, I don’t think it’s especially outrageous to simultaneously understand why one of your favourite developers is making a game that might not appeal to you, while also being disappointed. I can say: ‘damn, not what I was hoping for’, without meaning: ‘everything must be tailor-made for me!’

Loadout:

Skill tree:

4 Likes

IMO, every new requirement placed on a game adds limitations in some areas. I think a single player only game can do things that one with a co-op mode can’t, and similarly for a co-op only game.

That’s all theoretical though. Just like I’m not approaching each game with “they could have done x, y and z if only the series S didn’t exist” I’m not going to approach games with “if this game was single player only they could have done x, y, and z”.

If it turns out to be a good game, it’s a good game. If even more people can enjoy it that’s even better.

If more people can enjoy it, that’s great for those people, sure. We can say that about all sorts of things - a musician you love puts out a record that’s different to everything you loved about them and you don’t like it, but the record sells in record-breaking numbers to other people. That’s great for the artist and those people. It’s not so great for you.

I guess I’m pushing back against what I see as a slightly bizarre expectation for me to be excited for games on behalf of other people, rather than for my own enjoyment.

I think the game just doesn’t have to be 100% for you (what game is?), and it being 90% for you and that 10% opens it up to a lot of others isn’t something that should be looked at negatively

It is what it is though, ultimately we’ll see when the game comes out.

1 Like

It’s just that Arkane have been a single player focused developer, like, forever.

1 Like

My objection is to a false premise being asserted. That premise being that the changes in design are meant to make it appeal to a broader audience. Which I dont believe is accurate.

It is still an immersive sim created by developers of immersive sims. The design choices/changes are to facilitate allowing multiple people to engage in that design. Which is entirely different than the broad audience/left 4 dead assertions being thrown around.

1 Like

What i noticed in the video is that they say “slay solo or squad up.” so SP first, optional co-op approach? In my opinion that would be ideal. Like Borderlands, just as great solo as it is with friends. We’ll have to wait and see for ourselves.

You and I can’t know for sure but appealing to a broader audience is not necessarily such a bad thing on its own, virtually all AAA games are made to appeal to broader audience anyway lol

I do hope they’ll go back to that someday, maybe the other Arkane studio. Sequel to Prey 2017…at this point I’d slay a fool for it.

Not a bad thing no, but what I am getting at is that the developer themselves are trying to make it clear that this is an arkane ass arkane game but they made the changes necessary to allow you to play it with friends. Which makes sense, things that work in open world/with mulitple players may not be the same things that work for a strictly solo experience. But their intention is clearly to still cater to fans of arkane games.

Arkane have been open before about wanting to make multiplayer systemic games before btw, even before joining Bethesda I believe. I think after multiple lackluster commercial performing games, Bethesda finally gave the go ahead to make it or something different.

No hordes of enemies, no safehouses from what i saw. Stealthy sneaking up on enemies, special abilities/powers.

What about that is anything like L4D?

2 Likes

It had more than one player and it has guns. Exactly the same.

2 Likes

This is Arkane’s very first truly open world game and has option co op. Do not understand the L4D comparisons at all.

7 Likes

Yeah it’s fine to want to have something that’s closer to Prey or a full focused single player immersive sim but I dont see L4D here at all

This looks like a (semi?) open world where you can go where you want and complete missions how you want whether thats stealth or rambo and an actual story

L4D/B4B style are linear structured missions and blowing through hordes of zombies

3 Likes

And to be completely clear, Prey is easily in my top 5 games made for last gen. My preference is the single player focused vision that they have. But, Im just not going to discount something before I play it because the formula changed a bit.