Razer Kishi (Xbox): My initial thoughts and impressions

Hmm, for some reason it wont even let me check for firmware updates. I have the phone in the controller and it has “Check” available, but I cant select it.

Oh that’s odd. Yeah, I have an Xbox so I just always update my controllers that way. I have no clue about using PC or Mobile to update tho. Sorry I can’t be of more help. :confused:

There is a button combination to press before attaching the controller that places it into the firmware download mode.

“Unplug your phone, but keep the Kishi app open. Then, press the Y, B and Right Function buttons simultaneously while reconnecting your phone.”

Try that out.

1 Like

Anyone has a Kishi right now? I want to experience xCloud with a different solution than BT controller to the phone, but am hesitant to drop 85 euros on a product that might not work that well. I did hear good impressions on YouTube about the Kishi

Yep. I love it.

I grabbed mine when it was on sale last week, 60 Euro I think. I haven’t used it much but had a seamless experience so far on my galaxy note 9

Nice, I have a Galaxy Note9 as well! So it fits perfectly then :slight_smile:

I would film myself playing with it and fitting the phone in, but that involves a level of “The box contains the crowbar used to open it” recursive logic my mind couldn’t cope with in this heat :smiley:

1 Like

Soooo… I needed a newer phone, and while it’s most of a year old and I know a new better one is on the way, I couldn’t resist the siren song of the Surface Duo at $700 instead of $1500. Hopefully coming today.

So I suppose I won’t need the Kishi I never opened.

Bought one, and it’s been pretty good so far, but I do kind of wish there was a tiny bit more spacing for the face buttons, but other than that I am impressed

My only concern is if I were to switch to an iPhone I would have to buy an IOS compatible one

Definitely not just a ‘you thing’. My brain gets A and B mixed up frequently!

I’m a bit of a controller snob with an elite 2 snd have sent it back multiple times for very small bits of wear and tear. The triggers and bumpers are generally nice on the Kishi, if a bit squishy. The sticks are just ok, they feel like third party sticks because they are, the resistance is is not linear like you would expect on a controller, but they are generally quite comfortable with good grip and have a nice click for the LS and RS input.

No complaints about the rest of it, the face buttons all do their job and it’s is generally quite ergonomic. The charging port pass-through is amazing.

I got one for £44.99 and am very impressed with it for that price.

The ability to play games on my phone with an almost normal controller is fantastic in itself.

1 Like

I appreciate the perspective of the controller snob. I have an Elite 2 as well, and it’s good to know how these other solutions stack up. Obviously, there’s an inherent trade-off as it is with screen size and image quality and whatnot, so I’m not expecting that caliber of experience on the controller.

Even so, couching it as a comparison with the best possible experience helps put things in perspective. Not everybody has the same financial situations or tolerances, so it’s good to have multiple metrics :smiley:

1 Like

I wish the Kishi had a longer grip on the right side to compensate for the stick placement.

2 Likes

I personally can’t recommend the Kishi enough, I love mine.

Technically my phone is slightly too big for the Kishi but it works great for short blasts (as it was designed).

1 Like