Putting the "Game Pass isn't sustainable" BS to rest

I’ve definitely noticed that Sony’s first party games dive straight into the bargain bin fast compared to Nintendo, but then again everyone’s games drop like a rock compared to Nintendo

I remember Horizon Zero Dawn in 2018 was like 12 bucks and it included the expansion pack.

Exactly. Chances are Ms is already making more money per year with their 15mi subs than Sony is with their 1st party sales. And perhaps significantly more so.

Didn’t horizon zero dawn cost like 50 million to make? Doesn’t gamepass have 15 million subs? Isn’t 15 million x $10 a month equal $150 million a month? Dam microsoft stop releasing 3 horizon caliber games a month its just not sustainable. :man_facepalming:

Microsoft has done subscription right before. There best product to date ‘microsoft office’ has been turned into a office 365 subscription service which is in q1 2020 was 200 million sub count strong.

They literally turned there best product with literally no competition around it into an subscription model. And now, office 365 isn’t only about office apps but cloud storage and teams service too. Which is equivalent of adding content to your subscription package from time to time.

So yes, Microsoft knows how subscription works.

And if you ask me, Gamepass might not be the thinking of Xbox executives at all but instead the direct order from top microsoft excutives like Amy and Nadella.

And the best part is that it is good for consumers :+1:

Interestingly enough, they’re apparently gonna start providing perpetual licenses for Office products from next year like they used to before Office 365 which is very cool if you want the option to own it, unlike Adobe or Autodesk products.

Yup!

Like you can still buy games in the Gamepass!

I hope that option stays no matter how big Gamepass gets. I don’t want them to stop releasing games on steam or windows store or whatever where you can get the game to keep forever. Currently, GP is still small even at 15 million subs, once they reach 50 or 100, I don’t want them to feel like okay yeah now we’d be fine to just make first party games exclusive to gamepass. That’s one of the only concerns I have for GP down the road. I don’t want GP to go the route of Adobe Creative Suite or Autodesk products.