Phil Spencer shares intent to honour all previous agreements and desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation

Yeah exactly, and what would have been the point of last E3 saying Starfield is exclusive, recently TES VI too, if all of that is coming to PS anyway?

Sometimes less is more Phil. At this point all you have done is to reassure anyone on the fence about getting a PS5 or Xbox for COD that it is fine for you to get that PS5. All he has to say is “we haven’t purchased ABK yet, so it would be irresponsible for me to make any assertions about future buisness decisions, however as usual we want to make it possible to play our IPs in as many different places as we can provide it”.

3 Likes

Tweet isn’t working. What he say?

They’d literally lose all the money they make on third parties

By buying an xbox you lock a person not only into GamePass but all the third party games that get sold, MS gets a chunk of

If GP comes to PS, there it literally no reason to own an xbox and all that third party money goes bye bye

2 Likes

I hear 2 years is standard now :joy:

2 Likes

how ever long it takes for ff 7 to come to xbox is how long each cod should take

3 Likes

Yep, Sony makes the overwhelming majority of their money from the cut of third party sales on PS compared to their own first party content.

:phil_lmao: Desire. :philwins:

1 Like

I agree 100%. I’ve been an Xbox gamer since 2002, and have more than a little nostalgia towards the brand.

I’ve now read the article referenced above by @Callangoso, and if Grubb’s speculation about the Game Pass version on PlayStation being for Xbox 1st party only were to come true, I can see Microsoft continuing to manufacture consoles in order to make money off 3rd part software sales. As well as the full version of Game Pass we currently have.

I certainly hope so. I’ve loved every Xbox console I’ve ever owned, yes even the One, and I hope to continue playing games on Xboxes going forward.

Warzone alone would make the statement of Spencer correct. Just saying and we had this dance with Bethesda and Spencer words. He just needs to stop talking.

Mainline Call of Duty goes exclusive June 2023

1 Like

So is it:

“I confirmed our intent to honor all existing agreements upon acquisition of Activision Blizzard and our desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation.”

Meaning we intend to honor our contracts and desire to keep CoD on PlayStation… meaning CoD stays multiplat

or

Meaning I confirmed our desire, meaning we WANT to keep CoD on Playstation but Sony gotta play ball.

The quote from Phil during the Xbox/Bethesda roundtable was that Bethesda games would be exclusive “to platforms where Game Pass exists.”

And if Game Pass came to PlayStation, then that quote would still be true.

It is executive speak meant to appease the government and cover them legally. new games will be where game pass is, old games will never be pulled.

21 Likes

Maybe, but this one feels different from Bethesda both in size and in language.

CoD simply might be too big to pull.

1 Like

I’m just going to assume this is like the Bethesda deal and not think about it further. It will take too long to get an answer.

6 Likes

No it doesn’t, it’s the exact same.

6 Likes

I’ve seen and heard this idea thrown around for some time now and I also don’t understand how this makes sense.

If they had the intention to essentially become a 3rd party publisher why did they R&Ded and released not only one but TWO consoles with covering both high and low end tiers? and why didn’t they already offer Playstation versions of their big IP’s like Gears, Halo and Forza? I am sure Sony wouldn’t say no to that. Also if they intend to keep selling Series consoles and keep their customers happy and satisfied how is putting your strongest selling point to another console while not getting anything in return a good move? this only makes sense to me if Sony will also start putting their games on Game Pass too which we all know isn’t happening anytime soon.

Putting Game Pass on Playstation 5 is literally killing their Xbox hardware division since there will be no reason to get an Xbox so why would they do that? if that was their plan from the start then this is a stupid plan and it will result in a lot of pissed off Xbox Series owners.

The only plan that makes sense to me is agreeing in releasing only CoD on PS and use this as a bargaining chip to stop BS timed exclusives from Sony’s side and help their way to the now pretty much owned by Sony FGC/Evo for example.

4 Likes

We gotta dig up old Phil tweets and stuff because I don’t remember him making a statement like this with Bethesda at least this early…

Bethesda seemd to be more vague than this…

This is all very fascinating…

tbh if GP on PS5 then MS can buy more publishers