Phil Spencer shares intent to honour all previous agreements and desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation

I don’t think it will be timed tbh.

I agree with Grubb and a lot of others. CoD will be the bargaining chip the let’s Gamepass onto PlayStation.

Yeah and Sony will get whatever games they already have some sort of exclusivity on.

So, the Xbox app on Switch then, I ask again. “You know, it’s the right question because people usually ask me about releasing one individual game or another. And what I say is I want the full Xbox experience to be something that we deliver. We have no plans to bring it to any other kind of closed platforms right now, mainly because those closed platforms don’t want something like Game Pass. There’s a ton of open platforms out there for us to grow in: the web, PC, and mobile. So all of our focus, frankly, is on those platforms.”

It’s gamepass or nothing.

3 Likes

yep knowing sony’s stubbornness its not likely

1 Like

Lol I don’t care about CoD whatsoever but I really do hope it’s exclusive because it will make Xbox a monster in the West. That will mean indies/AA/Japanese devs will be less likely to ignore the platform, so KT making Nioh a PS exclusive for example will be a much less tantalizing offer for them.

2 Likes

Jeff, Shinobi, Imran, Greg Miller among others all agree in the very “carefully” worded statement of Phil :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

CoD is the world’s second most popular kids game.

Roblox is the king. My 6 year old can never get enough Roblox on his iPad.

1 Like

I’m surprised that game hasn’t touched PS. I mean shouldn’t that be sign that CoD can live without one platform? Oh well, time will tell.

1 Like

Ngl, it’s fking crazy to see Phil Spencer being a king maker now and decides if Call of Duty will be on Playstation or not. A game that is responsible for a huge chunk of Playstion game revenue.

Y’all it was a joke.

1 Like

Honestly, I have a tinfoil hat theory here.

According to the RE Village contract, Sony has in some marketing deals restricted games from hitting Game Pass for a year.

Xbox said in the press release they will bring as many ABK games over “as they can” at deal close and launch.

I honestly think there’s a chance CoD is restricted from day one Game Pass and MS wants to make a trade with Sony. They will offer CoD games on PS5 through the end of the gen, past the closing of the marketing deal if Sony allows CoD to hit Game Pass day one.

It’s a deal that would benefit both sides greatly. Buys Sony time to plan an alternative, allows Xbox to have day one CoD from the jump and allows Xbox sufficient time to communicate to consumers that CoD will be exclusive to Xbox starting in Gen 10 so they have time to weigh up their options.

5 Likes

I was thinking it might be that as well. I don’t know that Xbox bringing COD to PS would last the entire gen, but if Sony’s marketing deal for COD does include the no Game Pass clause like RE8, I could see Xbox wanting to make a deal.

Bringing their games to Game Pass day one is clearly an important objective of theirs. I’ve wondered if that was part of the deal for Ori getting to go to Switch for instance.

4 Likes

Possible, but I think the COD marketing deals were before Game Pass really picked up. Doubt it was seen as much of a threat.

Sooooo what kind of games we want from this

prototype 3 for starters with me have high moon do another Transformers war and fall of cybertron were amazing! all i can think of for now

1 Like

I don’t think future COD will come to PlayStation at all, but the very fact it doesn’t need to would indicate that Sony would need to start returning some of Microsoft’s goodwill at some point too.

I can’t forsee a situation where Xbox let’s COD go to PlayStation, while PlayStation are engaged in a campaign of actively trying to “kill off Xbox” by strategically paying for games not to go to the platform - attempting to create the narrative that Xbox is somehow a shooter box and nothing else - while PlayStation still gets the creme of that crop too.

1 Like